ADVERTISEMENT

Monty Rice..

I think Rice needs to watch the first game from his couch in Athens. Show a little respect for people. What would he think or do if I said the same thing about him? He would go crazy!

Monty and Herschel are black.....If you say that towards him, and you aren’t black, you are racist. No ifs ands or buts about that. The word shouldn’t be used at all.

The problem with the original post was the derogatory name he attached to it. That's bad enough. The problem with this statement is that Monty doesn't seem to understand that the "Bs" that he is speaking up against was another human being expressing his opinion - which he has every right to do. Add in the fact that that other human being happens to be a living legend for the school / program that he plays for and it's just not a good look for him.

I've said it on this forum but it's even MORE important in the public forum of social media, you can disagree without being disagreeable. There's no need to be disrespectful just because someone holds a different opinion than yours.
These guys could care less about the heritage and history of the university. They’re using it as a vehicle to better themselves. Most could care less about the other because once they’re “used” there is another player in line that the fans will follow and love. I know are appreciative of the opportunity the university gave them but most see it as a way out. If not UGA, the UF or Bama, etc

And what part of being entitled to say whatever you want are you incapable of grasping? Show me where I’ve said he’s right for saying what he said? People are bent out of shape because it was towards Herschel. Point blank period.
I agreed with you saying you’re entitled to say what you want! You’re just not immune to the consequences of it. Wow. How much more plainly can I say that? You didn’t blatantly say “he’s right” but you’re trying to justify it by saying it was a person of color to another person of color, with that second person of color being a famous athlete. Just stop. It’s wrong no matter who says it. Whether it’s Herschel or not.

we are very fortunate to have Kirby Smart running our program rather than the total clown show here that wants to bench Monty

I Love Kirby for being who he is. While he can definitely educate his guys to use better judgement, it’s not his place to tell a person of color how to handle his emotion. Benching a player for using a derogatory word towards another human being is as asinine as it gets.

I agreed with you saying you’re entitled to say what you want! You’re just not immune to the consequences of it. Wow. How much more plainly can I say that? You didn’t blatantly say “he’s right” but you’re trying to justify it by saying it was a person of color to another person of color, with that second person of color being a famous athlete. Just stop. It’s wrong no matter who says it. Whether it’s Herschel or not.

Buddy, you did say you were triggered by what he said to Herschel. That’s literally all I’m saying here. If he said that word towards another former player whom you didn’t like, you wouldn’t say a word about it. You can argue with me until you’re blue in the face, but you’ll never convince otherwise. I see it happen time and time again. You are upset that he said something towards Herschel. That’s it!

And I get emails all the time complaining we don't let folks talk enough politics. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. The Chat can be and usually is a good place. The bad actors are being cast out and will continue to be.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. I understand the problem you have with dealing with this. I agree that some bad actors are being cast out.

But, the Chat has not been a "good place" since the COVID posts got moved there (which I understand, but wish the inappropriate comments would have just been removed instead on throwing up your hands and moving them) and we started moving towards the election. Even with the bad actors being removed, the Chat is not a good place. Racist comments still get left there and insults fly all over the place.

Politics and other events occurring in our country can no longer be discussed in a civil fashion. That's the bottom line and all one has to do is read the Chat for a day. It may represent our country today, but it is not a good look for UgaSports.com in my mind. As we have seen it has even entered sports. It didn't start with this thread.

Reactions: IIIput
it's remarkable that some of you are so surprised and disappointed that a team with a high population of young black men would care deeply about issues that impact young black men

you'd think maybe people here would step back and ask our players why they think these issues are important to them

Monty may have misspoken and can learn from that mistake. But saying that the other political tweets by our players is disappointing is exactly what Monty's latest post is about and is exactly why so many players are supporting him.
I haven’t seen monty’s comments I saw 2 others commenting on A Notre Dame tweet

it's remarkable that some of you are so surprised and disappointed that a team with a high population of young black men would care deeply about issues that impact young black men

you'd think maybe people here would step back and ask our players why they think these issues are important to them

Monty may have misspoken and can learn from that mistake. But saying that the other political tweets by our players is disappointing is exactly what Monty's latest post is about and is exactly why so many players are supporting him.

I haven't read any of the tweets, what issues did Monty bring up?

Reactions: seatonsdawgs
"That community" saw the lowest unemployment rates among them (pre-COVID) than ever before. I'm not following you.

What is hurtful about progress?
This x’s 1000 ....the Democrats have hurt African Americans fat more than the republicans .....Jesus just look at majority of dem ran cities ...that’s where the most significant problems lie

you got a link or something

He's not getting backlash for any political viewpoint or speaking out - he's getting backlash for posting a screenshot of Herschel speaking at the RNC with a banner of a racial slur above it (presumably because he takes issue with HW speaking about his own political viewpoint - how ironic).

Monty needs to grow up. He's getting a lesson in being an adult in the real world right now, so maybe he will.

you got a link or something

Unless he's used a different forum or something he hasn't tweeted about police reform or social justice issues. His tweet said,

"When we agreed with them on playing it was no problem for us to speak up, but when we speak up on this Bs going on it’s shut up and tackle!"

When he says "this Bs" in response to his original tweet calling Herschel a derogatory name, he's saying, imo, it's BS that Herschel is speaking at the RNC. That's not exactly a social justice statement.

I understand Monty's point completely and it's a fair point....but what about the "Bs" in Chicago every weekend? When will an athlete speak up on that? Or will they only take to twitter when a black man is shot for disobeying police?

(This isn't an endorsement of the cops shooting him 7 times, but if he obeyed he wouldn't have been shot seven times, likely not even one time.)
Whattabout

Unless he's used a different forum or something he hasn't tweeted about police reform or social justice issues. His tweet said,

"When we agreed with them on playing it was no problem for us to speak up, but when we speak up on this Bs going on it’s shut up and tackle!"

When he says "this Bs" in response to his original tweet calling Herschel a derogatory name, he's saying, imo, it's BS that Herschel is speaking at the RNC. That's not exactly a social justice statement.

The team has been tweeting about this stuff all summer. Tons of examples of what players have been tweeting and the negative reaction from fans. Lecounte had a tweet about the ND BLM tweet that a few guys were reacting to as well.

When a player uses social media to say they want to play, people here are posting those tweets and encouraging them to use their platform. When a player uses social media to speak about political issues, people attack them and say they should focus on football.

The team has been tweeting about this stuff all summer. Tons of examples of what players have been tweeting and the negative reaction from fans. Lecounte had a tweet about the ND BLM tweet that a few guys were reacting to as well.

When a player uses social media to say they want to play, people here are posting those tweets and encouraging them to use their platform. When a player uses social media to speak about political issues, people attack them and say they should focus on football.

All of that is fine. I don't disagree with any of it. It's also irrelevant to the point I was making. I have not seen Monty (himself) make a single social justice post on twitter like the other players have. His post was a picture of HW talking at the RNC and a derogatory label. Then he takes heat for it and then posts the tweet that I linked above calling it BS. I read that as him talking about the blow back from his HW derogatory comment, not about other players who made legit social comments. Therefore I stand by my comment.

Reactions: ephesiandawg
welcome to adulthood, Monty. this is the world that you now live in. anyone that disagrees with your opinion is free to try to destroy you.....
Welcome to adulthood? Why did he have to put his first post up with the derogatory remark about Herschel ? Because he doesn’t agree with Herschel? Bit of advice along the same lines as the whole adulthood thing .....if you are going to post something negative about a beloved public figure ( at least to our fan base) you better put your adult pants on and take the heat ....why would it be ok for him to post negatives about Herschel yet people can’t post negatives in response to his post? Yeah your right that is adulthood .....like if I posted something negative about Obama .....I better get my adult pants on and be ready for those who admire him to come at me full force - or Clinton, etc. I guess mobs surrounding people eating dinner on outside patios cursing the patrons out because they aren’t participating in their protest ....I guess that’s adulthood too?

Welcome to adulthood? Why did he have to put his first post up with the derogatory remark about Herschel ? Because he doesn’t agree with Herschel? Bit of advice along the same lines as the whole adulthood thing .....if you are going to post something negative about a beloved public figure ( at least to our fan base) you better put your adult pants on and take the heat ....why would it be ok for him to post negatives about Herschel yet people can’t post negatives in response to his post? Yeah your right that is adulthood .....like if I posted something negative about Obama .....I better get my adult pants on and be ready for those who admire him to come at me full force - or Clinton, etc. I guess mobs surrounding people eating dinner on outside patios cursing the patrons out because they aren’t participating in their protest ....I guess that’s adulthood too?
you misread me - i completely agree with you....

this is the culture that the radical left has pushed for,, and soon whatever decorum/tolerance for diverse views the right used to exhibit will go away too..

getting attacked for diversity of thought suddenly aint so fun, when its your thought getting attacked!

Buddy, you did say you were triggered by what he said to Herschel. That’s literally all I’m saying here. If he said that word towards another former player whom you didn’t like, you wouldn’t say a word about it. You can argue with me until you’re blue in the face, but you’ll never convince otherwise. I see it happen time and time again. You are upset that he said something towards Herschel. That’s it!
You’re making ignorant assumptions and obviously have serious reading comp skills, as I’ve never said I was triggered a day in my life. It’s wrong that he said it to Herschel, just like it’d be wrong if he said it to you. Don’t know how much more simple you need me to make it. I know I won’t convince you otherwise, that’s the thing about ignorance.

you misread me - i completely agree with you....

this is the culture that the radical left has pushed for,, and soon whatever decorum/tolerance for diverse views the right used to exhibit will go away too..

getting attacked for diversity of thought suddenly aint so fun, when its your thought getting attacked!
Ok - I’m sorry - I just quickly glanced at your post and misinterpreted it

You’re making ignorant assumptions and obviously have serious reading comp skills, as I’ve never said I was triggered a day in my life. It’s wrong that he said it to Herschel, just like it’d be wrong if he said it to you. Don’t know how much more simple you need me to make it. I know I won’t convince you otherwise, that’s the thing about ignorance.
Go cry about your poster bro elsewhere

I think you meant to say all these things about Joe Biden, not Donald Trump. Biden was against all these things and is the true racist.

yep i thought I gave it away with the running mate comment and the final facial expression.. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT