ADVERTISEMENT

My beef with political discussions

poorpreacher

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2003
I have an issue with those who like to dish, but can't take.

On facebook, I posted about the cost of groceries. My exact words were "Something to think about when voting this fall". I didn't mention Biden or Trump.

A family member went on a rant about the one who "has been convicted of rape, locks kids in cages, sells Bibles" etc.

When I responded by asking for her comments about Biden's flaws, she replied, "Bless your heart" then blocked me.

I don't have any patience with those who only want their views to be discussed. Don't start with me, if you don't want to hear from me.

On facebook, I posted about the cost of groceries. My exact words were "Something to think about when voting this fall". I didn't mention Biden or Trump.

A family member went on a rant about the one who "has been convicted of rape, locks kids in cages, sells Bibles" etc.

When I responded by asking for her comments about Biden's flaws, she replied, "Bless your heart" then blocked me.

I don't have any patience with those who only want their views to be discussed. Don't start with me, if you don't want to hear from me.
Politics and religion…,..two things my Dad always said to not discuss in the workplace.

Pretty much think it shouldn’t be done in general. Seems you can always find an argument.

Live and let live….

Last edited:
Politics and religion…,..two things my Dad always said to not discuss in the workplace.

Pretty much think is shouldn’t be done in general. Seems you can always find an argument.

Live and let live….

Agreed. And I was willing to have a decent discussion. I think my interaction here establishes that I can debate reasonably. Unfortunately, she chose not only to end the discussion, but prevent any further conversation

Agreed. And I was willing to have a decent discussion. I think my interaction here establishes that I can debate reasonably. Unfortunately, she chose not only to end the discussion, but prevent any further conversation
She is not going to accept help until she admits she needs help. It's hard but you need to let her hit rock bottom.

Last edited:

People can’t argue with you on social media if you’re not on social media. Got off in April 2021 and have never missed it.

Social media is incredibly toxic and a net negative for our society.

In this new world we are in today, there are a lot of people so far out in space, I wouldn't waste my time trying to talk them back down to earth,

Exactly

people believe what they want to believe. It’s a waste of time trying to argue with them. You won’t change their mind. The smart person avoids political talk around the dinner table and with relatives, and discourages it when they bring it up, as well.

people believe what they want to believe. It’s a waste of time trying to argue with them. You won’t change their mind. The smart person avoids political talk around the dinner table and with relatives, and discourages it when they bring it up, as well.

I agree. Let me elaborate on this exchange, just for context.

It was on Facebook

I haven't spoken to this family member in 3-4 years. There haven't been previous issues. We just aren't close. I can't remember the last time she commented on anything I posted. I had no idea she had such extreme political views.

So the conversation went from 0-100 with her initial response. I replied out of surprise, more than a desire to argue.

She injected all the sins of Trump, into a conversation about cost. When I replied that Biden has some ethical issues as well, she couldn't handle it. Literally, it was one statement and she blocked me.

She could not handle a respone to an issue SHE brought up. I don't normally use trendy terms....but that was pretty soft.

Reactions: SLC_Dawg and stray
I agree. Let me elaborate on this exchange, just for context.

It was on Facebook

I haven't spoken to this family member in 3-4 years. There haven't been previous issues. We just aren't close. I can't remember the last time she commented on anything I posted. I had no idea she had such extreme political views.

So the conversation went from 0-100 with her initial response. I replied out of surprise, more than a desire to argue.

She injected all the sins of Trump, into a conversation about cost. When I replied that Biden has some ethical issues as well, she couldn't handle it. Literally, it was one statement and she blocked me.

She could not handle a respone to an issue SHE brought up. I don't normally use trendy terms....but that was pretty soft.
That’s how 99% of them act

Reactions: SLC_Dawg
Unfortunately its where we are today. You can make a comment about high grocery and gas prices and then someone brings up Jan 6th. One has nothing to do with another , so it juts goes round and round.

Unfortunately its where we are today. You can make a comment about high grocery and gas prices and then someone brings up Jan 6th. One has nothing to do with another , so it juts goes round and round.
What else do U expect us to do on here??

I just wish UGASPORTS.COM was where we could escape all political discussion and talk about our love for college sports. If I were in charge here, politics would be banned. There are plenty of other places where that is discussed all the time.
If only UGASPORTS.COM made a totally separate forum for that kind of discussion that you are more than welcome to avoid

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT