ADVERTISEMENT

My dad played for VD in 1979

lordhave

National Champion
Gold Member
Sep 28, 2020
walked on his freshman year (Scott Woerner was his roommate!). He’s got a lot of good VD stories but this one was always my favorite:

they were prepping for LSU that week. My dad was a scout team fullback. Story goes that Erk held up a sweep right play card for the scout team. He told them “LSU runs this play to the right 99% of time, but every once in awhile, they’ll fake it right, and the full back will run a naked sweep back to the left”

Erk said to my dad “Scotty, if Eddie does his job, he’ll stay at home and make the play”. (This is Eddie “Meat Cleaver” Weaver).

so they run the play, everyone goes right (Eddie included) and my dad gets the ball, running left, with nothing but green grass between him and the endzone. Eddie totally bought the fake and Vince Dooley himself was standing on the goal line of the end zone, clipboard in hand, and my dad said he thought in that moment “oh my god, I’m going to score in front of Coach Dooley”.

He said he got to the 1 yard line and suddenly all he saw was blue sky. His cleats came off. He dropped the ball, and, shell shocked he began to realize what had happened:

Eddie DID bite on the fake, but Eddie, being the athlete he was, ran him down from behind, and tackled him by the horse collar just before the goal line.

With Eddie standing over him my dad said Coach Dooley walked up, arms crossed, looked down at him and said, “Now Eddie, if that’d been a real running back he’d of scored!”

I’ll never forget that story. Go dawgs!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News