ADVERTISEMENT

My portfolio has made more $$ the past 5.5 months than it ever did in the last 8 years

Then you weren't invested very well the last 8 years.

The S&P 500 closed at 805 on Obama's first day. It closed at 2139 on Election Day - meaning it almost tripled (about 265% growth)

The S&P now is at 2430, an increase of about 16%.

If you made more since November than you did in the last 8 years, your advisor did a shitty job and cost you tons of money. What you're describing is "confirmation bias".

Last edited:
Then you weren't invested very well the last 8 years.

The S&P 500 closed at 805 on Obama's first day. It closed at 2139 on Election Day - meaning it almost tripled (about 265% growth)

The S&P now is at 2430, an increase of about 16%.

If you made more since November than you did in the last 8 years, your advisor did a shitty job and cost you tons of money. What you're describing is "confirmation bias".
I was just about to post something similar. You beat me to the punch.

Reactions: donalsonville_dawg
And the POTUS just made me richer yesterday pulling out of Obama's shatty Paris climate deal.

Thank you Donald.

These libs being critical of your post have no idea what your portfolio make up is and your approach to investing , your point was that the market is up drastically . You won't hear about the market in the lib media or from libs like these two that won't admit that anything good is going on . They want to talk about Russia , they better be careful what they wish for !

Reactions: maugwa
These libs being critical of your post have no idea what your portfolio make up is and your approach to investing , your point was that the market is up drastically . You won't hear about the market in the lib media or from libs like these two that won't admit that anything good is going on . They want to talk about Russia , they better be careful what they wish for !
His post is only possible in one of two ways:

1. His advisor committed malpractice the last 8 years.
2. His advisor is the most incredible genius ever and I need his name. If he took a 16% market and beat at 265% one, his advisor needs me as a client because he is a savant.

I don't understand why you constantly reject facts and math. This isn't a Trump/Obama issue - I don't like either. It's about facts. Do better.

If his point is that the market is up dramatically- which it wasn't - he could just say that. I agree. It has been a great run but nowhere near the gains of the last 8 years.

What are you talking about. I love what Obama did for our market. made me a shit load of money over 8 years. Thanks Obama!
images

What are you talking about. I love what Obama did for our market. made me a shit load of money over 8 years. Thanks Obama!
images

Was a shame for lots of folks though - layoffs, bankruptcies, pensions/savings blown, etc. Could've been the end if Bush had had another year or two.

Was a shame for lots of folks though - layoffs, bankruptcies, pensions/savings blown, etc. Could've been the end if Bush had had another year or two.
This is where you and shonuff and I will probably part ways. Bush certainly played a role, but it was a plague of both the houses IMO. The repeal of Glass-Steagal by Clinton along with Barney Frank's community re-investment incentives helped fuel the crash as well. In short plenty of blame to go around.

Of course, my main thesis - which is probably relevant in this thread - is that the POTUS (no matter who it is) has little effect on the market other than at the margins.

His post is only possible in one of two ways:

1. His advisor committed malpractice the last 8 years.
2. His advisor is the most incredible genius ever and I need his name. If he took a 16% market and beat at 265% one, his advisor needs me as a client because he is a savant.

I don't understand why you constantly reject facts and math. This isn't a Trump/Obama issue - I don't like either. It's about facts. Do better.

If his point is that the market is up dramatically- which it wasn't - he could just say that. I agree. It has been a great run but nowhere near the gains of the last 8 years.

Did he say he had an adviser ? The way he stated HIS position leaves me to think he is happier with the immediate results and is optimistic about the future !

Did he say he had an adviser ? The way he stated HIS position leaves me to think he is happier with the immediate results and is optimistic about the future !
Well, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt and not calling him out personally. Whoever was in charge of his investments screwed up royally if he's made more since November 2016 than he did from January 2009-November 2016 (or, in contrast, is the best investor ever). To make more since November says nothing about Trump and everything about the person controlling the investments (which I why I anticipate the original post is not correct factually).

Last edited:
Dodd Franks legislation was the single most destructive economic IED ever planted. It assured that housing prices would inevitably implode at some point. There was no other possible outcome.

Reactions: jenkinscreekdawg
Living in the Dawgchat Liberals heads rent free........... @shonuff253 @donalsonville_dawg
I didn't realize that doing math and stating facts made one a liberal. That's troubling for us conservatives and certainly says more about you than me. It's funny how tribal and resistant to facts you Trumpers are.

So, yeah, either fire your adviser or stop doing it yourself because you've been doing it wrong. You left a lot of money on the table the last 8 years it sounds like.

Last edited:
Dodd Franks legislation was the single most destructive economic IED ever planted. It assured that housing prices would inevitably implode at some point. There was no other possible outcome.
Dodd Frank was passed in 2010 - 2 years after the housing crash. Since then, home values have appreciated greatly (by approximately 25% nationally according to Zillow).

I don't disagree with you that Dodd-Frank was a bad law, but it was after the crash.

I didn't realize that doing math and stating facts made one a liberal. That's troubling for us conservatives and certainly says more about you than me. It's funny how tribal and resistant to facts you Trumpers are.

So, yeah, either fire your adviser or stop doing it yourself because you've been doing it wrong. You left a lot of money on the table the last 8 years it sounds like.

C'mon man, even I am not a true conservative. For you to call yourself a conservative is just...either a case of ignorance or quarter truth.

C'mon man, even I am not a true conservative. For you to call yourself a conservative is just...either a case of ignorance or quarter truth.
What do you consider yourself? I consider myself a conservative because my default on any issue is smaller government and less regulation. Seems to fit to me.

And the POTUS just made me richer yesterday pulling out of Obama's shatty Paris climate deal.

Thank you Donald.
Is this serious? Or just a troll? I voted for Trump and hope things still continue to go well, but if you made more in the last five months than last eight years, maybe you had an eight year old investing for you?

Last edited:
What do you consider yourself? I consider myself a conservative because my default on any issue is smaller government and less regulation. Seems to fit to me.
Yeah but your "less regulation" extends to open borders and letting scumbags into our country, the prevention of which is one of the two expressed duties of the federal government.

Last edited:
Yeah but your "less regulation" extends to open borders and letting scumbags into our country, the prevention of which is one of the two expressed duties of the federal government.
Interesting. I've literally never said we should have open borders. In contrast, I believe we should certainly protect our borders and not allow illegal immigration.

Interesting. I've literally never said we should have open borders. In contrast, I believe we should certainly protect our borders and not allow illegal immigration.

You sided with the leftists on Trump's travel ban. You come off as some kind of middle ground seeker. While I am not a 100% conservative, I believe I'm much farther to the right than you. The problem with middle ground at this juncture is that the left has insidiously wrangled and taken so much that what is now referred to as middle ground is really far, far left of center. What liberals better come to understand is that the right is not giving any more. That's over. We're taking back now.

You sided with the leftists on Trump's travel ban. You come off as some kind of middle ground seeker. While I am not a 100% conservative, I believe I'm much farther to the right than you. The problem with middle ground at this juncture is that the left has insidiously wrangled and taken so much that what is now referred to as middle ground is really far, far left of center. What liberals better come to understand is that the right is not giving any more. That's over. We're taking back now.

Because the first travel ban wasn't Constitutional. Virtually every legal scholar and court has agreed. Even the White House and its own counsel agreed because it didn't fight the order.

The second one, as you and I discussed, is a close call. The conversation we had at length on here was that you think it's clearly Constitutional and I told you it's a close call and will be a 5-4 decision (or 6-3 if Roberts and Kennedy both vote against it - otherwise it will be 5-4 to strike down or 5-4 to uphold depending on Kennedy). I think it's probably unconstitutional, but I concede that legal scholars are all over the board on that (but 2 Circuit Courts have struck it down).

The difference in you and me is that I'm a William F. Buckley/Jack Kemp/John Boehner conservative and you're a Populist/Nationalist one. They're just two different strains of the same thing.

Because the first travel ban wasn't Constitutional. Virtually every legal scholar and court has agreed. Even the White House and its own counsel agreed because it didn't fight the order.

The second one, as you and I discussed, is a close call. The conversation we had at length on here was that you think it's clearly Constitutional and I told you it's a close call and will be a 5-4 decision (or 6-3 if Roberts and Kennedy both vote against it - otherwise it will be 5-4 to strike down or 5-4 to uphold depending on Kennedy). I think it's probably unconstitutional, but I concede that legal scholars are all over the board on that (but 2 Circuit Courts have struck it down).

The difference in you and me is that I'm a William F. Buckley/Jack Kemp conservative and you're a Populist/Nationalist one. They're just two different strains of the same thing.

On the travel ban, you claim unconstitutionality based on prior campaign statements. I claim prior statements are not sufficient to subjugate clear and unchallenged codification. The law expressly gives the President the power to do it no matter what he said. Talk is not law.

On the travel ban, you claim unconstitutionality based on prior campaign statements. I claim prior statements are not sufficient to subjugate clear and unchallenged codification. The law expressly gives the President the power to do it no matter what he said. Talk is not law.
And your argument is certainly the argument that the DOJ is going to make. The other side is going to argue that there was discriminatory intent in signing the order. And there is certainly precedent for striking down a law that is neutral on its face but was passed with discriminatory intent (lots of precedent, actually).

I'm not saying your point is without merit. What I am saying is that it's a close call and will be a close decision. I just happen to disagree with you on its Constitutionality, but your position is certainly not unfounded. It's that simple.

Lol

And your argument is certainly the argument that the DOJ is going to make. The other side is going to argue that there was discriminatory intent in signing the order. And there is certainly precedent for striking down a law that is neutral on its face but was passed with discriminatory intent (lots of precedent, actually).

I'm not saying your point is without merit. What I am saying is that it's a close call and will be a close decision. I just happen to disagree with you on its Constitutionality, but your position is certainly not unfounded. It's that simple.

Given the prevailing sentiment among groups of people who could cause SCOTUS to lose much face, power and even relevance, they would be extremely foolish to bend the Constitution the other way right now.

Given the prevailing sentiment among groups of people who could cause SCOTUS to lose much face, power and even relevance, they would be extremely foolish to bend the Constitution the other way right now.

If I say, "I will kill a scumbag who breaks into my home and threatens me, do I forfeit my right to do so?
Talk is not law.

Even if I say "I will kill a muzslum, black man, white man or Australian who breaks into my home and threatens me", if one does and I do, is it now murder?

So you folks actually PAY someone to do your investing? Good Lord.........

Don't look now.......the stock market may break records again today. That Trump is a gotdayum genius.

Don't look now.......the stock market may break records again today. That Trump is a gotdayum genius.

The market likes the decision to drop out of the Paris" give away" Accord !

Maybe you should.

That won't last. The market has to realign with reality soon. It has gotten ahead of itself. No big deal, but a significant correction is due. It may be delayed a bit, but it will come relatively soon. IMO the next 3 months are a good time to peak out and take profits. Put that profit into gold or a goal miner like the biggest of all ABX, which is far from recovered off its' low and headed for the mid 30s or higher within a couple of years.

Reactions: donalsonville_dawg
That won't last. The market has to realign with reality soon. It has gotten ahead of itself. No big deal, but a significant correction is due. It may be delayed a bit, but it will come relatively soon. IMO the next 3 months are a good time to peak out and take profits. Put that profit into gold or a goal miner like the biggest of all ABX, which is far from recovered off its' low and headed for the mid 30s or higher within a couple of years.
Agree 100%. The S&P is trading at 25 times earnings. The historical median is 15 and a normal bull market is in the 17-19 range. We are due a 10% or so correction soon.

(Chat disclaimer: this isn't a knock on Trump or any other politician. It's just the normal order)

Yes anyone with any real money "pays someone to do your investing", even if they themselves are in the money management game. In reading your original post above, I'd recommend you to do it as well. 16 percent up since trump came in, a little over 250 percent in 8 years of Obama. Easy math for most of us "payers". Personally hope the gains continue.

Yes anyone with any real money "pays someone to do your investing", even if they themselves are in the money management game. In reading your original post above, I'd recommend you to do it as well. 16 percent up since trump came in, a little over 250 percent in 8 years of Obama. Easy math for most of us "payers". Personally hope the gains continue.

Do have some accts with Edward Jones that have done well but mostly do my own thing. Hell you can get just as good advice sitting around the local Hardees with the seniors each morning rather than giving your money away to some broker. To each his own.

Do have some accts with Edward Jones that have done well but mostly do my own thing. Hell you can get just as good advice sitting around the local Hardees with the seniors each morning rather than giving your money away to some broker. To each his own.

You are right ,also easy to research on line . Advisers have to make a living .......so they want you to buy and sell on a regular basis .

You are right ,also easy to research on line . Advisers have to make a living .......so they want you to buy and sell on a regular basis .

Plus they get bonuses for unloading certain stocks and there is pressure on them to put clients into certain funds. There is no substitute for an educated investor; no matter how much money you have. Handing it off to someone else just because they are supposedly "professionals" is a good way to go broke.

Plus they get bonuses for unloading certain stocks and there is pressure on them to put clients into certain funds. There is no substitute for an educated investor; no matter how much money you have. Handing it off to someone else just because they are supposedly "professionals" is a good way to go broke.

I guess if you are talking about non fiduciary brokerage accounts at the local Edward jones then yes, that's not good investing and you should just use a few spiders and a s and p index spider. If you have a good chunk of money I'd recommend a fiduciary that usually charges 1.5 percent on the low end to up to 0.5 percent for larger sums for investment. That's what I would recommend for you. Would also recommend looking for one in a large city. Philadelphia, New York, dallas, San Fran.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT