ADVERTISEMENT

ND: Anyone Else Riding This Cryptocurrency Wave?

Crazy to track but if you are interested. Seems like the futures are dictating bitcoin prices. Look at the spread. Money is following the futures instead of the reverse.

Sigh, it’s always the least informed that are ready to make the most definitive statements.

The utility of cryptocurrencies is well-defined. They are not a fad or a bubble.

In regards to your hot stocking picking tips, I’d bet dollars to donuts you wouldn’t be able to evaluate a publicly traded stock’s ‘fundamentals’ without relying on 3rd party analysis. Your not digging into SEC filed 10-Ks.

As such, you are part of the mindless herd. You would be far better not trying to guess about a stock’s fundamentals & just buy an index fund.

Consider yourself lucky & convert to index funds soon...

C'mon now. While I don't entirely agree with the posters comment you quoted, you can't tell me there isn't going to be a bubble, regardless of cryptos being here to stay.

Also, delittling people because they don't read 10-k's is absurd. There are plenty of successful advisors and investors who I guarantee you make your returns and better without getting too deep into the fundamental side. That's why there are technical vs fundamental analysts, and things like Modern portfolio theory. Throw in alternative investments, etc. Also, every good investor should rely on quality research. I sure do for my clients, because I don't have time to break down every stock and stay up to date on current news for each company. I would much rather rely on guys who make 100's of thousands of dollars who track these stocks like most on here track the dawgvent, and rely on their research. I agree motley fool and cnbc are not research if that is what you are considering 3rd party. Your post just seems kinda harsh to people who are average Joe investors.

Sigh, it’s always the least informed that are ready to make the most definitive statements.

The utility of cryptocurrencies is well-defined. They are not a fad or a bubble.

In regards to your hot stocking picking tips, I’d bet dollars to donuts you wouldn’t be able to evaluate a publicly traded stock’s ‘fundamentals’ without relying on 3rd party analysis. Your not digging into SEC filed 10-Ks.

As such, you are part of the mindless herd. You would be far better not trying to guess about a stock’s fundamentals & just buy an index fund.

Consider yourself lucky & convert to index funds soon...

C'mon now. While I don't entirely agree with the posters comment you quoted, you can't tell me there isn't going to be a bubble, regardless of cryptos being here to stay.

Also, delittling people because they don't read 10-k's is absurd. There are plenty of successful advisors and investors who I guarantee you make your returns and better without getting too deep into the fundamental side. That's why there are technical vs fundamental analysts, and things like Modern portfolio theory. Throw in alternative investments, etc. Also, every good investor should rely on quality research. I sure do for my clients, because I don't have time to break down every stock and stay up to date on current news for each company. I would much rather rely on guys who make 100's of thousands of dollars who track these stocks like most on here track the dawgvent, and rely on their research. I agree motley fool and cnbc are not research if that is what you are considering 3rd party. Your post just seems kinda harsh to people who are average Joe investors.

Yeah, probably a little harsh. I’ll go back & revise.

All the same, crypto currencies are real financial instruments that will be around for the rest of our lives.

Was not intending to belittle anyone, but if OP is relying on publicly available 3rd party data to guide his investment selections, he’d be better off in an index fund.

Sounded like he was citing an investment strategy he was unable to execute on as an alternative to crypto currency, which he does not understand. I couldn’t resist commenting on the absurdity.

Reactions: DawgAdvisor
What would be the best investment in crypto currency right now?

Right now I would recommend ethereum, although at this very moment it's in an all-time high so this minute probably isn't the best time. But in general I'd say it's the safest bet. Litecoin has gone insane today but will surely come back down, over time could potentially get to 4 digits but it is limited in that it is simply a currency like bitcoin. Ethereum is the future and is something you should hold for the long haul. Something like bitcoin can only do so much, it's basically just digital currency. Ethereum is an entire blockchain platform that will change the way people and business conduct transactions. There are a host of big time companies that are already getting on board with Ethereum via the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance ( https://entethalliance.org/members/ ), and a few minutes of googling will do a lot better job of explaining that I can here.

I read a good comparison that I believe will be true. Bitcoin is kinda like AOL...it was the first on the block and first to go mainstream and it blew people's minds and got people warmed up to the whole internet thing in general. We aren't even remotely close to bitcoin (or crypto in general) getting to that level of public knowledge yet by the way. Ethereum is like Google...it is a far better, more useful, and more practical entity that now we look back at AOL and wonder what all the fuss is about. If you want to day trade on the exchanges there are dozens of coins (like litecoin) you can dabble in and make a few bucks here and there. If you are looking more for something to just buy then forget about and hang onto for a few year ETH is the way to go.

So is it a good idea to use credit card on coinbase and can I use coinbase to then trade to individual currencies on other trading sites?

So is it a good idea to use credit card on coinbase and can I use coinbase to then trade to individual currencies on other trading sites?

You can use card if you want. I believe with card there may be a slightly higher transaction fee and I know your daily limit is far less than linking a bank account. It's been a little while since I joined so I can't recall specifics offhand but their website should have a FAQ answer that cover the basics.

Coinbase isn't really an exchange, it's more of a wallet to keep the 3 cryptos they offer (BTC/ETH/LTC). So if you want to buy some, let's say IOTA, you would have to buy BTC on coinbase, then transfer it to an exchange, then go nuts from there. Full disclosure I don't really do the exchanges so I can't really speak much on how all that works, I've only dealt with Coinbase and what they offer.

So is it a good idea to use credit card on coinbase?
Yes it’s safe. I used a debit card, and can’t remember if it had to be a debit vs credit. There was a limit to what I could purchase on each transaction when it was cheap. When it skyrocketed, I could have invested more, but I was scared at the price. And then it went up.....and up.... and up.

So if I buy 100 in Bitcoin or litecoin on coinbase, what company would you suggest to buy IOTA or Ripple with?

So if I buy 100 in Bitcoin or litecoin on coinbase, what company would you suggest to buy IOTA or Ripple with?

Honestly I can't help you there since I don't really do anything other than coinbase. I know Gdax and poloniex are 2 of the popular exchanges but I can't vouch for anything about them. And for all I know you might can just buy directly into the exchange (rather than Coinbase first). I just know btc/eth/ltc are the only things you can buy on Coinbase, so if you already have anything in there you have to move it to an exchange if you wanted to go that route.

Reactions: DawgAdvisor
I dunno much but I know you can only trade for iota with eth or bitcoin. You can transfer your coins to Binance from Coinbase.

We all should remember, at some point in the history of the world gold was merely a shiny rock that society placed an intrinsic value upon. It has fluctuated over time and still holds a monetary value today.

We would all be naive to think other forms of commodities whether it be a rock, a stick, or a mathematical algorithm saved on a computer ledger could not also be given an intrinsic value by mankind.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out but my guess is some form of crypto is here to stay.

We all should remember, at some point in the history of the world gold was merely a shiny rock that society placed an intrinsic value upon. It has fluctuated over time and still holds a monetary value today.

We would all be naive to think other forms of commodities whether it be a rock, a stick, or a mathematical algorithm saved on a computer ledger could not also be given an intrinsic value by mankind.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out but my guess is some form of crypto is here to stay.

I personally don't think gold has "intrinsic value." I consider intrinsic value to be something that can actually provide some tangible thing or benefit.

A car has intrinsic value because it can get you from point A to B. Copper has intrinsic value because it's used in wiring. Silver has intrinsic value because it's used in microchips. Gold? Ehhhh....I'm not aware of any practical use aside from jewelry/precious metal - and I don't consider that an intrinsic value. It doesn't produce anything or keep you warm at night.

Just like US dollars. No intrinsic value there either. Well, I guess you could light them on fire to keep you warm for a while, but I'd say that's a stretch.

The mere fact that people see value in something does not mean that it's intrinsic.

I dunno much but I know you can only trade for iota with eth or bitcoin. You can transfer your coins to Binance from Coinbase.

How do you transfer your coins from Coinbase to Binance?

I personally don't think gold has "intrinsic value." I consider intrinsic value to be something that can actually provide some tangible thing or benefit.

A car has intrinsic value because it can get you from point A to B. Copper has intrinsic value because it's used in wiring. Silver has intrinsic value because it's used in microchips. Gold? Ehhhh....I'm not aware of any practical use aside from jewelry/precious metal - and I don't consider that an intrinsic value. It doesn't produce anything or keep you warm at night.

Just like US dollars. No intrinsic value there either. Well, I guess you could light them on fire to keep you warm for a while, but I'd say that's a stretch.

The mere fact that people see value in something does not mean that it's intrinsic.
You’ve obviously never seen Flavor Flaves teeth

Last edited:
I can't get coinbase to verify my ID. Now it says I've exceeded the maximum attempts in 24 hours. Any other reputable wallets other than coin base?

I can't get coinbase to verify my ID. Now it says I've exceeded the maximum attempts in 24 hours. Any other reputable wallets other than coin base?

I would like to know the same thing if anybody has any info. I'm verified with Coinbase but would like to look at others. Also, I've got in with a good low risk but good return Oil & Gas investment with great tax benefits. DM me for the details. Thanks for help with the coin wallets in advance.

Good podcast where a guy breaks down the periodic table and explains why gold became the valuable element.

As far as equipment I run Bitmain S9 antminers and with 20 I get a coin roughly every 18 days. The problem now is with the price spike in bitcoin people are asking stupid prices for the miners. I bought mine for less than $1200 each power supplies included. Had a friend trying to buy from bitmain recently and they didn’t have any available at this time but will probably have more in Jan. Hope this helps
You have 20 Bitmain S9’s?

Reactions: GrantParkDawg
How do you transfer your coins from Coinbase to Binance?
On Binance, go to funds>deposits/withdrawals and select deposit next to bitcoin (btc). It will give you an address. Copy that address. Go to Coinbase and select “send” bitcoin. It will ask for an address and just paste it.

Right now I would recommend ethereum, although at this very moment it's in an all-time high so this minute probably isn't the best time. But in general I'd say it's the safest bet. Litecoin has gone insane today but will surely come back down, over time could potentially get to 4 digits but it is limited in that it is simply a currency like bitcoin. Ethereum is the future and is something you should hold for the long haul. Something like bitcoin can only do so much, it's basically just digital currency. Ethereum is an entire blockchain platform that will change the way people and business conduct transactions. There are a host of big time companies that are already getting on board with Ethereum via the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance ( https://entethalliance.org/members/ ), and a few minutes of googling will do a lot better job of explaining that I can here.

I read a good comparison that I believe will be true. Bitcoin is kinda like AOL...it was the first on the block and first to go mainstream and it blew people's minds and got people warmed up to the whole internet thing in general. We aren't even remotely close to bitcoin (or crypto in general) getting to that level of public knowledge yet by the way. Ethereum is like Google...it is a far better, more useful, and more practical entity that now we look back at AOL and wonder what all the fuss is about. If you want to day trade on the exchanges there are dozens of coins (like litecoin) you can dabble in and make a few bucks here and there. If you are looking more for something to just buy then forget about and hang onto for a few year ETH is the way to go.

I downloaded the coinbase app. Is this the best way to buy ETH? I want nothing to do with Bitcoin, I do like what a lot of people are saying about ETH though. Wouldn't mind tossing a few grand at it and leaving it for a while.

I downloaded the coinbase app. Is this the best way to buy ETH? I want nothing to do with Bitcoin, I do like what a lot of people are saying about ETH though. Wouldn't mind tossing a few grand at it and leaving it for a while.

Yes, coinbase is the easiest way to get ETH. I personally would wait a couple of days to see if it gets back under $600 since it is riding a high right now. Just my opinion.

Reactions: PelagicDawg
Yes that’s what I run.
Wow...that must of been a pretty penny to acquire all those but that’s awesome. I got back in on 5 coins in early June and I’m happy so far with my investment. Just gonna sit and enjoy the ride.

How do I purchase Ripple XRP from binance? I transferred litcoin to Binance but I'm not seeing my funds although it says the deposit from coinbase was complete? Do I have to convert it to Bitcoin, then buy xrp? Does it take a while to get finds over to Binance to use?

How do I purchase Ripple XRP from binance? I transferred litcoin to Binance but I'm not seeing my funds although it says the deposit from coinbase was complete? Do I have to convert it to Bitcoin, then buy xrp? Does it take a while to get finds over to Binance to use?

It may take up to 12 hours to show up.

Thanks! Can I purchase xrp with litcoin on Binance?

I'm new at this but I think you have to transfer litecoin to btc and then use btc to buy the xrp. That's what I had to do anyway. If someone else has a simpler suggestion then I'd love to know. But I transferred most of my litecoin to iota and xrp. We'll see what happens.

Honestly I can't help you there since I don't really do anything other than coinbase. I know Gdax and poloniex are 2 of the popular exchanges but I can't vouch for anything about them. And for all I know you might can just buy directly into the exchange (rather than Coinbase first). I just know btc/eth/ltc are the only things you can buy on Coinbase, so if you already have anything in there you have to move it to an exchange if you wanted to go that route.
countrydawg2, can you email me please? harr9557@bellsouth.net

I got verified on coinbase much faster. I applied for verification for both at the same time. Ripple may very well be the best long-term investment of them all but I don't think it is going to pop like some of the others have...Id say 2 bucks by the end of 2018 is realistic.

Reactions: CoachBrinson

Try explaining to my wife that gold has no intrinsic value :)

Reactions: jw012075
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT