ADVERTISEMENT

Nd..Has anyone seen / heard younger children 5-10 spreading Covid to Adults?*

Only thing I’ve got is the younger demo infant through 5...My daughters daycare/preschool hasn’t shut down a single day. A staff was positive a month ago, but other than that nothing. Over 100 kids.

The virus is being spread via human to human. Last I checked, kids are still human and can spread the virus just as an infected grown adult can. It's one of the reasons why schools were closed in March for the balance of the school and why many school districts have opted for virtual learning at home this upcoming school year.

Reactions: RoyDawgMercer
The virus is being spread via human to human. Last I checked, kids are still human and can spread the virus just as an infected grown adult can. It's one of the reasons why schools were closed in March for the balance of the school and why many school districts have opted for virtual learning at home this upcoming school year.
Everything was closed in March to flatten the curve. Mission accomplished. Everyone can and has always been able to get care if they need it.

Things are shutting down for the upcoming year because teachers are afraid.

Reactions: stray
Everything was closed in March to flatten the curve. Mission accomplished. Everyone can and has always been able to get care if they need it.

Things are shutting down for the upcoming year because teachers are afraid.
Because kids can spread it, shutting down the schools, like everything else. was part of flattening the curve. Mission was initially accomplished, have you checked the latest stats and situation? Teachers with underlying health conditions have every right to be scared or if they have immediate family members with health issues. There are vast number of health issues within the population that someone can have and still have a normal life but not so much if they catch Covid. Pregnancy is also a condition susceptible to Covid.

Reactions: Bwgiddens
Because kids can spread it, shutting down the schools, like everything else. was part of flattening the curve. Mission was initially accomplished, have you checked the latest stats and situation? Teachers with underlying health conditions have every right to be scared or if they have immediate family members with health issues. There are vast number of health issues within the population that someone can have and still have a normal life but not so much if they catch Covid. Pregnancy is also a condition susceptible to Covid.

There’s millions of other “essential” workers doing necessary jobs with the same concerns. Teachers with conditions, pregnancies, or family members are no more different than the grocery workers or health professionals. The goal never was making sure don’t get it, we will NEVER get beyond that because it’s not going anywhere. It was always and has to be making sure people can get treatment If they need it.

There’s millions of other “essential” workers doing necessary jobs with the same concerns. Teachers with conditions, pregnancies, or family members are no more different than the grocery workers or health professionals. The goal never was making sure don’t get it, we will NEVER get beyond that because it’s not going anywhere. It was always and has to be making sure people can get treatment If they need it.
Difference is that teachers can still do their jobs from home in some capacity.

Difference is that teachers can still do their jobs from home in some capacity.
That’s true, without any consideration for quality of education, particularly with the younger kids. And if you’re younger without a home attentive to their child’s learning, a detrimental difference in quality.

Reactions: ugateke24
If getting treatment ensured everyone would recover, then it wouldn't be a problem. While the truly ignorant believe this virus is no worse than the flu, medical experts, noted health organizations, disease experts concur this is far worse than the flu. Besides the lungs, it attacks the heart, circulatory system, the brain and other organs. A percentage of those that survive will have long term damage.

https://bestlifeonline.com/heart-damage-covid/

and a lot of the people you mentioned have been protesting about working conditions since march but can't afford not to work

That’s true, without any consideration for quality of education, particularly with the younger kids. And if you’re younger without a home attentive to their child’s learning, a detrimental difference in quality.
That’s not true at all. Saying there is no quality to the education unless it’s in person is a ridiculous claim. Also, any person who lives in a home who is not attentive to the child’s needs will have an uphill climb, regardless of if the child is learning in a school building or online.

Reactions: celticdawg
Trying to bring factual, verified, intelligent, well though out facts or arguments to the Chats is counter-productive.

That’s not true at all. Saying there is no quality to the education unless it’s in person is a ridiculous claim. Also, any person who lives in a home who is not attentive to the child’s needs will have an uphill climb, regardless of if the child is learning in a school building or online.
I clearly just said difference in quality, not that it was useless. The education of young kids, low elementary age, is now hugely dependent on parents. There is zero substitute for in person classes for a large number of younger kids.

Reactions: Spe77
I clearly just said difference in quality, not that it was useless. The education of young kids, low elementary age, is now hugely dependent on parents. There is zero substitute for in person classes for a large number of younger kids.
You said “difference.” You meant “lack of.” But, quality depends on many, many factors. Including the teacher and the student. And your point about education being largely on parent in young students means that the parents need to be there to help, regardless of it class is in person or online. But, again, this all goes back to individual cases of teachers and students. One cannot say that the quality will negatively impact every kid or even the majority.

Trying to bring factual, verified, intelligent, well though out facts or arguments to the Chats is counter-productive.
How well I know and it's as if many here would eat their own. As threads were being moved from the Vent to Chat, I became fully aware. Present facts and then you get attacked for being scared or accused of a political affiliation by someone who has no clue.. Reminds of the saying that is so very true. "Can't Fix Stupid".

The research I've seen showed there are no known cases of children under 11 transmitting the virus to their teacher. The shutdown only postponed this spike. Perhaps it gave hospitals time to make a plan but it was never going to permanently flatten the curve. Just Holiday Inn, professional opinion but I bet we see a big drop in cases in the next few coming weeks.

If getting treatment ensured everyone would recover, then it wouldn't be a problem. While the truly ignorant believe this virus is no worse than the flu, medical experts, noted health organizations, disease experts concur this is far worse than the flu. Besides the lungs, it attacks the heart, circulatory system, the brain and other organs. A percentage of those that survive will have long term damage.

https://bestlifeonline.com/heart-damage-covid/
If Sleepy Joe wins in November then it will become nothing worse than the common cold.

It hasn’t happened in Europe. I don’t trust reporting of what has happened in the states but if they had definitive proof it would be 24/7 news coverage.
I have a son and a daughter working in Europe. Those countries still have not opened up anywhere near the USA.

You said “difference.” You meant “lack of.” But, quality depends on many, many factors. Including the teacher and the student. And your point about education being largely on parent in young students means that the parents need to be there to help, regardless of it class is in person or online. But, again, this all goes back to individual cases of teachers and students. One cannot say that the quality will negatively impact every kid or even the majority.
I think it's fairly obvious that the majority of kids are impacted negatively by not attending school. That's just plain, common sense.

I think it's fairly obvious that the majority of kids are impacted negatively by not attending school. That's just plain, common sense.
Show me how everyone’s learning is negatively impacted by not being in a school building.

I mean, with every instance someone can give, I can give you the exact same instance from being in a school building. Stop speaking in generalizations and realize that every case will be different. Also realize the risks involved. And realize that as we do more online schooling, things will shift and change to make it the best experience for everyone involved.

Reactions: celticdawg
Show me how everyone’s learning is negatively impacted by not being in a school building.

I mean, with every instance someone can give, I can give you the exact same instance from being in a school building. Stop speaking in generalizations and realize that every case will be different. Also realize the risks involved. And realize that as we do more online schooling, things will shift and change to make it the best experience for everyone involved.
If you can't draw the conclusion that children would be better served learning in school on your own, then I don't believe you are being honest with yourself. Not saying every child, obviously, but as a whole, it is more than obvious in my humble opinion.

Reactions: SnoopDawg205
If you can't draw the conclusion that children would be better served learning in school on your own, then I don't believe you are being honest with yourself. Not saying every child, obviously, but as a whole, it is more than obvious in my humble opinion.
*Edit for clarification upon misreading the first sentence:
That’s all an opinion from your POV.

*Edit for clarification upon misreading the first sentence:
That’s all an opinion from your POV.
I said nothing about children being on their own. I said if you can't draw the conclusion that children are better off in school ON YOUR OWN, then I don't think you are being honest with yourself.

I said nothing about children being on their own. I said if you can't draw the conclusion that children are better off in school ON YOUR OWN, then I don't think you are being honest with yourself.
That’s why I edited. Did...did you not read the post you just quoted??

Also, I’m being very honest with myself and everyone else.

Evidently you edited it after I replied. But to your edited version: Correct. I said as much. It's an opinion. Again, in my opinion, you are not being honest with yourself. Children, on the whole, are better off in school.

Also, I’m being very honest with myself and everyone else.
Knowing several lower elementary teachers, they have unanimously said it is disastrous for kids from bad homes. They go to school to to escape, and learn of course.

The overwhelming majority of others - quality will decline. It’s just pure common sense. Working parents doubling as teachers? Not as effective.

Evidently you edited it after I replied. But to your edited version: Correct. I said as much. It's an opinion. Again, in my opinion, you are not being honest with yourself. Children, on the whole, are better off in school.
I obviously didn’t since your response has my edited version in it. Lol.

As for your second opinion of being honest with oneself, that’s not an opinion as I am 100% factually being honest with myself and others.

Reactions: nice marmot
Knowing several lower elementary teachers, they have unanimously said it is disastrous for kids from bad homes. They go to school to to escape, and learn of course.

The overwhelming majority of others - quality will decline. It’s just pure common sense. Working parents doubling as teachers? Not as effective.
Escaping a bad situation is different than the education level of which one would receive.

As for parents doubling as teachers, that would not be happening. The teachers would still be the teachers. The classes will be online in the child’s own home.

Reactions: nice marmot
Escaping a bad situation is different than the education level of which one would receive.

As for parents doubling as teachers, that would not be happening. The teachers would still be the teachers. The classes will be online in the child’s own home.
That’s a joke right?

Try making a 6 to 10 year old learn in front of a computer without constant adult supervision. Your inexperience with children is obvious.

Try making a 6 to 10 year old learn in front of a computer without constant adult supervision. Your inexperience with children is obvious.
Uhhh....children are mesmerized in front of screens......

ADVERTISEMENT