ADVERTISEMENT

Nd..Has anyone seen / heard younger children 5-10 spreading Covid to Adults?*

Classic debating style. My preference has all benefits, no costs. It’s delusional, but it’s the tool of choice for the intellectually dishonest.

Some who favor keeping schools closed for safety reasons—not an unreasonable position in and of itself—argue as if there are no costs (or minimal ones) with remote learning. The data indicates otherwise.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/school...88kulyrpm4rs7cu&reflink=article_copyURL_share

Test scores receding, learning stunted, with minority and low income students most affected. None of which is news to anyone who interfaces with those outside the bubble. Or to parents. I’ve yet to find one who was satisfied. I had one in private and the school was exceptional (but still not close to in person and the Head of School acknowledges as much). Had another in public—and a very good public one—abject disaster. Technical problems, lack of oversight, rampant cheating by students, etc. College experience was better, but maturity difference is huge there.

And as the very experienced teacher in the article notes, learning remotely and playing games are not the same. Kids will stick to a screen if it’s what they WANT to do; force them to do something they don’t want and it’s a different story. Plus, they’re already in front of screens all day, which is terrible for them. Now you’re adding 4-6 more hours.

And that doesn’t even touch the significant portion of the population with learning difficulties (ranging from ADHD to autism to dyslexia). It’s an incredible challenge that won’t be worked out by fall and no one believes otherwise. Educators don’t actually think this is a good substitute; they just don’t know how to handle the public health part of it. Understandable, but it doesn’t somehow make the remote learning cost-free.

It’s a trade-off, and low-income kids and those with learning challenges will bear the brunt of it, as will 3-6 year olds in dual-working family situations (not every family can afford to have a parent quit or go part-time). Those are critical developmental years that can’t be replicated.

You don’t get to ignore those costs and pretend them away because they’re inconvenient to your preference for safety. Instead, you have to show that the benefits from safety are worth these trade-offs. Maybe they are, but it’s not because remote learning is devoid of costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: WyoDawg307
I can’t even fathom the thought of being taught school by my Mom or much less my Dad. They had the patience of (well I can’t think of an analogy) near zero. Couldn’t even reach me to ride a bike or throw a football without yelling at me. No matter what we think of some teachers, unless a parent is trained to a large degree in teaching, the kid, no matter what age or intelligence level will be impacted negatively (just one man’s opinion worth exactly what you paid for it).

There’s millions of other “essential” workers doing necessary jobs with the same concerns. Teachers with conditions, pregnancies, or family members are no more different than the grocery workers or health professionals. The goal never was making sure don’t get it, we will NEVER get beyond that because it’s not going anywhere. It was always and has to be making sure people can get treatment If they need it.
That’s true, without any consideration for quality of education, particularly with the younger kids. And if you’re younger without a home attentive to their child’s learning, a detrimental difference in quality.

I live in an area that's a mix of middle and upper middle class with plenty of well "educated" parents. It was pretty obvious to see even though we were trying to balance jobs and teach that the Quality of education the younger kids were getting was horrible.
Some of the assignments were so technologically dependent that you had to be a computer expert to complete. Education is more important than a liquor store or a protest. However, i assume that if people aren't drinking or high they would be a little more likely to do something positive in their free time and help the situation improve. I think what is essential and what is not has just been based on economics. There is a lot of construction going on right now that isn't essential but there are lobbyist for construction/architecture and engineering firms who are making sure it keeps going.

In short, we didn't shut down the economy because of Polio and why we should get back to normal and stop living in fear and claiming we are wise.

Why are you turning your back on the children from bad homes that depend on school for their meals and stability?
If you’d read the further down the thread, you’d see that I did no such thing. That’s not what the discussion is about, anyway. Terrible attempt at a straw man on your part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT