ADVERTISEMENT

ND - HVAC replacement advice

FullbackDawg

National Champion
Gold Member
Nov 14, 2023
Thanks to Helene, our entire crawl space and all of our downstairs AC duct work was flooded. It's a "big mess"/"disaster" according to a few HVAC techs/sales reps that have come out and seen it. Looking for some HVAC advice from any experts on the board...

The downstairs is serviced by a 2018 4-ton Trane package unit that sits on stilts outside. Water may or may not have affected it - looks like floodwater line came up to the bottom of it, but not sure if it got inside. One tech did say that water probably got inside of it due to the ducts getting flooded and pushing water through the return. I've had one company say we should replace the package unit, and another saying we shouldn't unless a tech gets into the unit and sees clear evidence of water damage - a technician is supposed to be out here this afternoon to provide a second opinion.

We have a separate system for our upstairs - 2009 AC condenser on the ground the got fully flooded and 2009 furnace in the attic. Planning to replace the condenser for sure, and back and forth on whether to replace the full system including the attic furnace. We may move in 2-3 years, or may be in this home for the next 20.

Both units will turn on and appear to be working for now. We do have flood insurance, but don't want to spend money and replace the package unit if we don't have to - and I won't know for sure when/how much gets approved by the adjuster process, after the work has already been done (I'm assuming the will only cover duct work and AC condenser on ground).

1. Any advice on questions to confirm or not that the package unit is damaged when the tech is here?
2. Any advice on just replacing AC condenser vs. the full system for upstairs?
3. Any advice on RunTru vs. Goodman vs. Lennox systems?

Thanks in advance for the DawgVent wisdom

Reactions: MightyDawg1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.