ADVERTISEMENT

ND - Shocking Out of Florida

BurntOrangeDawg

Kanye Twitty
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2001
The Front Range Pero A Veces DFW
Beware... NSFW language. I'm so shocked and saddened it's hard to even understand. Despite just letting the man drown to death and taking video and laughing there is no law in Florida requiring them to give aid. No charges can be brought against them. Depressing as depressing gets.

Reactions: jw012075
What is the world coming too. I hope those people are shunned in the town and never able to get jobs. I would never claim to be a hero as we never know what we'd do in certain scenarios, but I do know that I would absolutely not pull my phone out and laugh.

Reactions: andrewdc07
Beware... NSFW language. I'm so shocked and saddened it's hard to even understand. Despite just letting the man drown to death and taking video and laughing there is no law in Florida requiring them to give aid. No charges can be brought against them. Depressing as depressing gets.

Just terrible to watch and listen to. Not only did they not help him, but they didn't even tell anyone. According to the news here in Orlando, the body was found 5 days after the video was made. All lives matter.

If that was one of my family members they would be having multiple funerals. I hope a civil suit can be filed.
It cannot. There is no law - criminal or civil - that requires a bystander to render aid.

While this is not a good example of why, the reasoning behind it is that someone who is compelled to render aid could do more harm to either himself or the victim. Again, not particularly applicable in this situation (although we do not know whether the people videoing this can swim or not), but that's the policy reason behind it. There's no case here.

Not everything that is in bad taste (or maybe even immoral) is illegal.

It cannot. There is no law - criminal or civil - that requires a bystander to render aid.

While this is not a good example of why, the reasoning behind it is that someone who is compelled to render aid could do more harm to either himself or the victim. Again, not particularly applicable in this situation (although we do not know whether the people videoing this can swim or not), but that's the policy reason behind it. There's no case here.

I thought about them not being able to swim, but when you are too busy recording him drowning to make a 911 call then you are subhuman.

Pathetic. The man was disabled and went too far in the water. Prayers for the family.

Unfortunately, nothing shocking happens in Florida. State is full of trash, we should build a wall.

bd
Florida is a mess. I lived there for five years and I go three times a year one to georgia Florida and the others to Carrabelle and I run into the worst crap along the way.

Florida is a mess. I lived there for five years and I go three times a year one to georgia Florida and the others to Carrabelle and I run into the worst crap along the way.
I agree! I was on my way to Jax for the Cocktail Party 3 years ago, and near Waycross I figured out that I had forgotten my 9 MIL. I stopped at a sporting goods store and bout a 40 cal. (since I didn't have one) and went on to Jax! No way in Hades I'm going to Jax without being armed!

Reactions: maugwa

Always glad to see your rational posts here. I do want to add one thing and that's the fact that Florida like most (all) states has a Good Samaritan law.

The police are thinking of charging them under the Florida statute that people who witness a death must report it to the M.E.

Not related to your post, but let's not just condemn people in Florida, like Georgia people are all angels. As some of you know, Atlanta is playing Orlando tonight in soccer. It's being reported that there was a post on social media from a so-called Atlanta fan who said tonight's game would be like Pulse Part 2. It's easy to hide on social media, but I wouldn't recommend he bring such a sign to the game tonight, though I'll be looking for it.

Reactions: donalsonville_dawg

The terrible movie "Idiocracy" comes to mind.

Reactions: A Tale of Two Dawgs

This is what happens when you pay people to breed.

Always glad to see your rational posts here. I do want to add one thing and that's the fact that Florida like most (all) states has a Good Samaritan law.

The police are thinking of charging them under the Florida statute that people who witness a death must report it to the M.E.

Not related to your post, but let's not just condemn people in Florida, like Georgia people are all angels. As some of you know, Atlanta is playing Orlando tonight in soccer. It's being reported that there was a post on social media from a so-called Atlanta fan who said tonight's game would be like Pulse Part 2. It's easy to hide on social media, but I wouldn't recommend he bring such a sign to the game tonight, though I'll be looking for it.
Good point on the Good Samaritan law. For those who don't know, it basically makes any Good Samaritan immune from civil liability if they are negligent while rendering aid to someone in distress.

I know everyone is pissed about this case but there are good policy reasons why this isn't against the law. Not to mention that to require someone to render aid is a restriction of our freedom. Everyone SHOULD help, but no one should be forced to help.

Reactions: celticdawg
Good point on the Good Samaritan law. For those who don't know, it basically makes any Good Samaritan immune from civil liability if they are negligent while rendering aid to someone in distress.

I know everyone is pissed about this case but there are good policy reasons why this isn't against the law. Not to mention that to require someone to render aid is a restriction of our freedom. Everyone SHOULD help, but no one should be forced to help.

Not arguing as it may be apples to oranges.... But isnt there a law in GA about failing to stop and render aid?

Not arguing as it may be apples to oranges.... But isnt there a law in GA about failing to stop and render aid?
Not that I'm aware of. I guess there may be another attorney that knows more about that than I do but I'm not aware of any duty a bystander in Georgia owes someone in peril other than in very limited situations (e.g, if you struck a pedestrian)

Not that I'm aware of. I guess there may be another attorney that knows more about that than I do but I'm not aware of any duty a bystander in Georgia owes someone in peril other than in very limited situations (e.g, if you struck a pedestrian)

40-6-270

(3) Render to any person injured in such accident reasonable assistance, including the transporting, or the making of arrangements for the transporting, of such person to a physician, surgeon, or hospital for medical or surgical treatment if it is apparent that such treatment is necessary or if such transporting is requested by the injured person; and

(4) Where a person injured in such accident is unconscious, appears deceased, or is otherwise unable to communicate, make every reasonable effort to ensure that emergency medical services and local law enforcement are contacted for the purpose of reporting the accident and making a request for assistance.

I knew it was traffic law fwiw.....I just was thinking it could be sort of logic for there to be a application outside of the 16 code sections

Like I said apples to oranges

40-6-270

(3) Render to any person injured in such accident reasonable assistance, including the transporting, or the making of arrangements for the transporting, of such person to a physician, surgeon, or hospital for medical or surgical treatment if it is apparent that such treatment is necessary or if such transporting is requested by the injured person; and

(4) Where a person injured in such accident is unconscious, appears deceased, or is otherwise unable to communicate, make every reasonable effort to ensure that emergency medical services and local law enforcement are contacted for the purpose of reporting the accident and making a request for assistance.

I knew it was traffic law fwiw.....I just was thinking it could be sort of logic for there to be a application outside of the 16 code sections

Like I said apples to oranges
That only applies to someone in the accident itself (like my example above). Doesn't apply to a bystander

Without debating the merits, some states do have Good Samaritan statutes that create a duty to render aid (within reason). But not in Florida.

Tell that last sentence to the government. lol I'd love to be able to choose who my tax dollars helped.

Reactions: donalsonville_dawg

I doubt any of those punks could swim. SO...they joke about it to cover their insecurity about going in the water.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT