ADVERTISEMENT

Now that emotion of the game is over, a couple things that are concerning to me….

Jimy jenga

Grateful Dawg
Gold Member
Oct 5, 2001
@HacksawDawg has mentioned multiple times about our “missing” thing we don’t seem to have, I agree, not sure what it is, but I think deep down there I some sort of entitlement syndrome starting to show and we are expecting things to just happen for us(especially coming from Beck, our supposed offensive leader), but I digress. These are things that I am not familiar with seeing a Kirby coached team:
1. Poor tackling - we have always been a fundamental tackling team, sure, good players can make people miss, but typically our guys are making the tackle, even on a good play by the offense, no YAC and guys tackled on the spot. Last night, and even this season, I have seen piss poor tackling every game. Even by our best players, Starks especially. What is going on with this?
2. Coaching and scheme - we did make some adjustments at half which were a huge help, but our preparedness for this game was atrocious. We acted like we didn’t know we were going against a running quarterback! While DaBoer had us nailed to a T. He knew all of our tendencies, seemed to have our playbook and had a much better plan on both sides of the ball. Smart and staff were out coached and out classed. Kirby needs to look in the mirror on this. He can start with Bobo, but he isn’t the whole issue.
3. DB play - I am at a loss for words here too. For Smart to be a DB coach and defensive minded guru, our DBs seem to be lost a lot. They had multiple guys wide open. Yeah, having to protect against a running QB has some cause to this, but our guys are getting beat, don’t turn head around when they should, and Bama’s freshmen and young DBs seem to have been better coached than our guys who have been in the system a lot. A head scratcher for me.
4. Blitz packages - or pass rush, is strange to me. I know they had to plan around Milroe, but even when we blitzed during passing downs, we still could not get to Milroe. It was called out by Herbstrit a few times, but we had a few times where our blitzers were running right into where a double team was happening, and they seem to pick up our guys easily. Why is this? I remember Dean, Walker, and Tindal always having open blitz lanes when they did it, is our scheme bad now? Were those guys 10 times better than our current guys?

Last thing, and this has been said many times on the board lately, Beck just doesn’t have that “it” to him, and having Bobo lead that side of the ball is starting to show why a lot of people were concerned about this hire. He just seems to easily be coached against. How much of that is Beck and how much is on Bobo is open for discussion, as we have discussed the ability for Beck to check into different plays than what Bobo calls, but this combo is not elite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.