ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Oh man...Braves announcers’ booth on final out of NLCS

CMRDawg24

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2017
...maybe I’m a little tipsy, maybe I’m just in my feels...but man this video clip...

I grew up in North Ga without a tv. I spent my childhood in the 90s listening to Skip, Pete, Don (all RIP) and Joe on the radio...99.3 WCON.

On school nights, it was sitting next to the radio while doing homework. On Saturdays it was playing baseball with my brothers while listening on the radio w a couple orange extension cords allowing us to get the radio to the baseball field (cow pasture). On Sundays it was curled up next to the radio while supposed to be taking a Sunday afternoon nap.

Those voices ring in my head. Calling out the names of Lemke, Glavine, Javy, Smoltz, Maddux, Nixon, Chipper, Blauser, Gant, CrimeDog, Big Cat, Neagle, Justice, Avery, Wholers, Rocker, and so many more...

Seasons change and times come and go. I admit, as a young adult, a lot of those radio memories faded as TV broadcasts/streaming were readily available everywhere. I even lost a tad bit of interest during the 2006-2017 seasons when the Braves struggled and the years of Atlanta MLB history became a distant memory as the Phillies and Nationals became the NL East leaders.

I couldn’t tell you who the current Braves radio announcers were. Thank TBS and their dodger dick loving announcers for driving me back to the Braves radio network on TuenIn radio in game 6. I listened to the whole thing on there while watching the stream on Hulu on my back porch. I was able to hear the play live, just like my childhood, and then watch about 1 min later on the Hulu stream and of course, had to turn the volume up to hear the Tbs “dodger” announcers have to admit the Braves beat the living shit out of them.

To my surprise, the familiar voice of Joe Simpson was still there. Man, the flood of memories. It’s not the same as Munson on the Georgia Bulldog Radio Network, but damn it was close. For once, at age 36, I felt like I was 10 and it was 1995 again. God bless you, Joe, and thanks for carrying the radio torch all these years, and helping this grown kid get to hear a modern day memory of the Braves advancing deep into the postseason, once again. We’re gonna do it this year. We’re gonna win it for Braves country, for you, Joe, and for the Braves radio icons who have passed on before you. Chop on!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News