ADVERTISEMENT

ANALYSIS Ohio State notes & process -- Updated (12/16)

brollinspff

Pro Football Focus
Staff
Sep 10, 2018
Okay, wanted to share some of my process for a team we don't see a lot of and the initial notes I have before really diving into watching Ohio State (had a huge deadline last week and took the weekend to breath for the 1st in a very long time) and picking out plays/concepts that Dayne and I will show on the FDL previews.

Process-wise, I take a look at the PFF grade data 1st. This guides where the focus needs to be outside of the obvious (Marvin Harrison Jr is really good!). Also, 2 other things:
- I understand their grades are somewhat inflated because of them compared to the rest their schedule. E.g., OSU is #1 in Overall Team grade and 4 of the top 6 in are Big 10 teams.
- It guides a little more which 4-5 games I want to watch in more detail. For example, not watching any game where Smith-Njigba played early on (Notre Dame).

In general, though, look at these kinds of things (and rarely look at traditional stats):
- Who is standing out/dominant? Is there one element of a player's game (run D vs. pass rush) that is the dominant trait?
- More importantly, though, where are the deficiencies or replacement-level play (i.e. grades in the low 60s or below)? HINT -- their CBs!

- What's the QB data in the various situations I've posted all season long (clean vs pressure, blitz, 10+, screens, etc.)?
Clean Pocket = 92.1 passing grade, 71% completion, 22 big-time throws (BTT), 8 turnover-worthy plays (TWP)
Under Pressure = 36.8 passing grade, 41% completion, 3 BTTs, 7 TWPs
Blitzed = 71.3 passing grade, 67% completion, 7 BTTs, 6 TWPs

- Which games did the QB struggle from a passing grade vs. stats perspective? Rutgers & Maryland

Next, I take a look at team & tendency data I have access to (which is basically the same database all the coaches have access to except I don't have the video attached).
- Where do they stand out?
- Play calling themes? Run vs. Pass? How much screen, play-action? Outside vs. inside zone %?
- Formational: I know they are a heavy Pistol formation team, but where does it stack up? Shot-gun %?
- Personnel groupings?
- Defensively: how much do they blitz? How often do they use simulated pressures (4 man rush but looks like a blitz)? What are their primary coverage types?
- Player tendencies: if a certain player is on the field, is basically a run tell?

Alright, now the notes:

Team stuff:
- 11 Personnel = 65%
- 21 Personnel = 18.5% (2 RBs, 1 TE) = #2 in the Power 5
- 20 Personnel = 4.4% (2 RBs, 0 TE) = #4 in the Power 5 --- So, do they have any tendencies with 2 RBs on the field? (= Yes = 70% run)

- Shotgun % = 66.5% = 53rd in the Power 5 -- any tendencies in Gun vs. Under Center? Need to see
-
Pistol % = 19.3% = 11th in the Power 5 -- their Pistol outside zone game is common for them....expect UGA to schematically defend it similarly to how it defended Florida's shotgun + pistol running game.

- Screen attempts = 11.8% = 45th in the Power 5
- Run concepts = Outside Zone 41%, especially out of the pistol...same run game comment as above.

- Defensively = 28% blitz = middle of the pack in the Power 5.....BUT....they bring 5-6 rushers when they do blitz 86% of the time. Simulated pressures (blitz but only rush 4 like UGA) only 2.6%. So when they blitz, they basically play man and bring a lot of bodies.
- True man coverages (Zero or One) = 36% of the time

Some other tidbits:
- Goal-line and short yardage = they only run 2/3 of the time (UGA = 75%). Decent amount of play-action passing in those situations
- Marvin Harrison Jr (#18) and Emeka Egbuka (#2) = 63% of their team's targets
- #34 - RB Mitch Rossi (fullback) = 65% run with him on the field

- Left Guard (Jackson, #74) = better run blocker (83.0) compared to Right Guard
- Right Guard (Jones, #55) = better pass blocker (76.5) compared to Left Guard = So do we see JC88 line up on a different side on early downs vs. 3rd down?

-
On conversion downs (3rd/4th), they throw Right >>>> Left...and that's obviously usually to where Harrison Jr is.

And now time to go watch them throughout the week and see if anything else stands out....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News