ADVERTISEMENT

Perspective from and Asheville Dawg

28804Dawg

National Champion
Silver Member
Jun 24, 2024
I was woken up at 3am Friday morning to the crash of trees taking out the power lines running through my back yard.
As dawn broke, I watched in fear through my living room window as 5 massive trees went down 1 by 1 counting my blessings that all barely missed my house.
When the storm passed, we walked our neighborhood and took in the utter destruction. 60+ foot tall trees were down everywhere. We are talking large oaks and maples several 10+ feet around. Everyone with a chainsaw was doing all they could just to clear paths for vehicles to get around.
By nightfall, no water was coming out of the tap. Power and cell service were long gone.
Saturday afternoon we finally heard that the highways were back open and we loaded up to leave town, not exactly sure where we were headed, and with no idea if our family in south GA and TN we’re ok from the storm.
I can’t put into words the relief we felt when we finally heard their voices and knew they were ok.
Driving out of town, we saw some of the flooding from the river. Whole areas of town are underwater.
We made it my family’s house in time for kickoff. As disappointed as I was with the first quarter, it paled in comparison to the heartbreak from the videos on instagram I watched during timeouts showing houses being washed down river.
The dawgs fought back hard with resilience that can be proud of.
Waking this morning, safe and sipping coffee, it’s hard to be too upset with the game when seeing clips of 100s ofmy fellow Ashevillians standing in line at the only open grocery store in town hoping to get in to grab some water and bread.
It’s crazy to think that our mountain town 400+ miles from the coast could be utterly wrecked by a hurricane.
I don’t know when I’ll go back home. It’s likely weeks before we will have our basic utilities again.
But I know WNC and Asheville will come back stronger. And I know the dawgs will too.

If you are willing and able, please consider donating to relief efforts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.