ADVERTISEMENT

Piece by piece the nasty knot comes apart

McCain's office denies involvement so that clears it up. He didn't know what his aides were up to and the dossier just fell in his lap. He's a war hero don't you know.
Man, I was in VN and I once had a ton of respect for that guy. But it is painfully evident that he used his family connections and just "played" everybody for fools.
I knew long ago that he was quite possibly a collaborator during the war but I kept giving him the benefit of the doubt. These last few years have really exposed what a sorry ass punk he really is and always was.

Man, I was in VN and I once had a ton of respect for that guy. But it is painfully evident that he used his family connections and just "played" everybody for fools.
I knew long ago that he was quite possibly a collaborator during the war but I kept giving him the benefit of the doubt. These last few years have really exposed what a sorry ass punk he really is and always was.
Kinda harsh. I disagree with his maverick/political views late in his life, but he served his country and paid a big price. Accordingly, I've given him a lot of leeway. I think he's earned it, and I've seen zero evidence he was a collaborator.

Kinda harsh. I disagree with his maverick/political views late in his life, but he served his country and paid a big price. Accordingly, I've given him a lot of leeway. I think he's earned it, and I've seen zero evidence he was a collaborator.
From a very informative article in the American Conservative:
note: this is from 2010 & McCain has gone much further off the deep end since then.

Some of McCain’s fellow captives at Hoa Lo prison in Hanoi didn’t share his views about prisoners left behind. Before he died of leukemia in 1999, retired Col. Ted Guy, a highly admired POW and one of the most dogged resisters in the camps, wrote an angry open letter to the senator in an MIA newsletter—a response to McCain’s stream of insults hurled at MIA activists. Guy wrote, “John, does this [the insults] include Senator Bob Smith [a New Hampshire Republican and activist on POW issues] and other concerned elected officials? Does this include the families of the missing where there is overwhelming evidence that their loved ones were ‘last known alive’? Does this include some of your fellow POWs?”

It’s not clear whether the taped confession McCain gave to his captors to avoid further torture has played a role in his postwar behavior in the Senate. That confession was played endlessly over the prison loudspeaker system at Hoa Lo—to try to break down other prisoners—and was broadcast over Hanoi’s state radio. Reportedly, he confessed to being a war criminal who had bombed civilian targets. The Pentagon has a copy of the confession but will not release it. Also, no outsider I know of has ever seen a non-redacted copy of the debriefing of McCain when he returned from captivity, which is classified but could be made public by McCain.

All humans have breaking points. Many men undergoing torture give confessions, often telling huge lies so their fakery will be understood by their comrades and their country. Few will fault them. But it was McCain who apparently felt he had disgraced himself and his military family. His father, John S. McCain II, was a highly regarded rear admiral then serving as commander of all U.S. forces in the Pacific. His grandfather was also a rear admiral.

In his bestselling 1999 autobiography, Faith of My Fathers, McCain says he felt bad throughout his captivity because he knew he was being treated more leniently than his fellow POWs, owing to his high-ranking father and thus his propaganda value. Other prisoners at Hoa Lo say his captors considered him a prize catch and called him the “Crown Prince,” something McCain acknowledges in the book.

Also in this memoir, McCain expresses guilt at having broken under torture and given the confession. “I felt faithless and couldn’t control my despair,” he writes, revealing that he made two “feeble” attempts at suicide. (In later years, he said he tried to hang himself with his shirt and guards intervened.) Tellingly, he says he lived in “dread” that his father would find out about the confession. “I still wince,” he writes, “when I recall wondering if my father had heard of my disgrace.”

He says that when he returned home, he told his father about the confession, but “never discussed it at length”—and the admiral, who died in 1981, didn’t indicate he had heard anything about it before. But he had. In the 1999 memoir, the senator writes, “I only recently learned that the tape … had been broadcast outside the prison and had come to the attention of my father.”

Every man has a breaking point. The fact that he did collaborate after torture is not my point.
The point is that after his experience as a POW and his self admitted disgrace, he came back and apparently felt no responsibility to make up for it with a decent life. Instead, he became a shameless self promoter, serial adulterer & deep state swamp creature. He (along with John Kerry) was even very instrumental in thwarting the attempts of other POW's families from finding out what happened to their loved ones.
It is JMO but the man has been unhinged for quite some time.

Last edited:
Between the facts that he was directly involved in the IRS targeting scandal, the dissemination of the trump dossier, the arming of ISIS in Syria, and THE deciding vote that killed repeal & replace of the ACA, and since has held onto a wasted senate seat when he should have stepped down;

Nothing but a Leftist globalist arms trafficker in the cloak of being a Republican politician.

I have zero use for this man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT