ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Should we get rid of day light savings time?

You read the title

• Yes

Votes: 104 42.3%
  • Of course

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Absolutely, it's pointless and outdated.

Votes: 114 46.3%
  • Without question

Votes: 22 8.9%

• Total voters
Excellent poll, but one answer should have been “**** yes, send the landscapers home at 6:00”
Not sure if serious but this would affect a relatively small number of people but with a disproportionate impact on the economy. All construction (residential, commercial and government), landscaping, and farming/agriculture.

That constitutes probably half of the economic activity of the state at some level.

Changing to permanent daylight savings time is not a zero-cost deal.

That's cool for you apparently. Chances are you work in an office (most folks do). For those who have to work outdoors you got about 8 hours in the winter. 7:45 or so is sunup.. If we go permanent daylight savings time sunup will not be until almost 9. Want an 8 hour work day leaving time for lunch? Got to go until 6:00 and then you are in to school and nighttime rituals. Plus when your work is rain-sensitive it is hard enough to get in a full productive week anyway with rain that happens so much during the winter.

I know far more people are unaffected by this but I do hope some consideration is given to those for whom it is a direct economic issue in a negative way.

What do you do outside that this will affect your work production in the winter months?

The bigger question is whether or not they will protest this.

Last edited:
What do you do outside that this will affect your work production in the winter months?
Civil construction. I described the effects above if you scroll up. Forces me to make my men either work late into family time every evening (which is wrong and unfair to them IMO), eat the lost productivity (a pretty big hit against gross), or pass that cost onto my customers in higher profit margins elsewhere to make up for lost productivity.

That same decision will happen with lots of other companies in big industries. Is the benefit of changing to permanent saving time worth that cost? I am sure our lawmakers will make the wisest decision... ;)

Not sure if serious but this would affect a relatively small number of people but with a disproportionate impact on the economy. All construction (residential, commercial and government), landscaping, and farming/agriculture.

That constitutes probably half of the economic activity of the state at some level.

Changing to permanent daylight savings time is not a zero-cost deal.
This would really hurt retail stores. Retail traffic is cut in half after the sun goes down. Cutting daylight at the end of the day would really hurt retail sales.

Reactions: HuntinDawg
Yep, and you can as well. Which you continue to evidence with each post.
Just a reminder that I am not the one arguing for a change. Burden of proof is on the person who wants to change something we have literally done for a very, very long time.

So if you buy your premise that he and I are both equally selfish (I reject that but let's go with it for now) then tie goes to the status quo.

Reactions: FarmDawg89
This would really hurt retail stores. Retail traffic is cut in half after the sun goes down. Cutting daylight at the end of the day would really hurt retail sales.
But we are not cutting daylight at the end of the day by *keeping things the way they are*. That is the issue here - do we change something that is currently in place and has been for a very long time?

But we are not cutting daylight at the end of the day by *keeping things the way they are*. That is the issue here - do we change something that is currently in place and has been for a very long time?
Ok, if we keep things the way they are, I'm good with that. Switching to straight Standard time would be a huge mistake in my opinion. I think there are two bills in the state legislature right now. One for only Standard and one for DST. Have a feeling neither one is going to make it through, which is fine with me.

Reactions: BigDaddyDawgBreath
Civil construction. I described the effects above if you scroll up. Forces me to make my men either work late into family time every evening (which is wrong and unfair to them IMO), eat the lost productivity (a pretty big hit against gross), or pass that cost onto my customers in higher profit margins elsewhere to make up for lost productivity.

That same decision will happen with lots of other companies in big industries. Is the benefit of changing to permanent saving time worth that cost? I am sure our lawmakers will make the wisest decision... ;)

There is always a cause and effect with change. When schools ate into summer months with early start times and shorter months, all the businesses that had sprung up over the years that operate almost exclusively in the summer & employ hundreds of teens were in an uproar to the change...even though it greatly affected millions of students and parents from all walks. Businesses adapted and augmented to open during the new breaks that came about inside the school year.

I am not suggesting your point is invalid, just that when making decisions like this...what is the benefit and what is the loss? Lawmakers arguing "the time change is hard" is from a point of view of elitism. Make the discussion about the facts and offer up alternative programs to supplement businesses/industries negatively affected by this change that are vital to our community to help with the transition.

Reactions: BigDaddyDawgBreath
DST destroyed the drive-in movies. Get rid of it. Nobody needs daylight till 9 PM.

Reactions: FarmDawg89
DST destroyed the drive-in movies. Get rid of it. Nobody needs daylight till 9 PM.
Strong troll work here but I think the combined economic significance of construction / agriculture and agribusiness in Georgia probably has more significance than drive-in movies. IMHO.

Strong troll work here but I think the combined economic significance of construction / agriculture and agribusiness in Georgia probably has more significance than drive-in movies. IMHO.
Start an hour earlier. All the ag people I knew growing up got up before the cock crowed anyway. You still have the actual same amount of daylight.

Start an hour earlier. All the ag people I knew growing up got up before the cock crowed anyway. You still have the actual same amount of daylight.
You did not read what I wrote above apparently. As you yourself said, it is the same amount of daylight so when we get up is not the issue (I would be getting up later if we get rid of standard time, and I doubt you would find me somehow lacking in getting-up resolve if you knew my schedule).

The issue is legally pushing daylight artificially into the evening hours during the winter. That means a whole bunch of people will now have daylight when they make a living shoved into evening time with their families. For what? Perhaps there is a great tradeoff that justifies it but just mocking the other viewpoint and challenging our ability to wake up is not making the case IMO.

Late to the discussion but as a now part time farmer who works full time and previously managed various hunting and fishing properties that I owned over the years, the extra hour in the evening to get things done when I get home really comes in handy... also gives me extra time with the kids outside as well. I have to leave for work by 6:30 am each day so trying to get up earlier to catch the early morning sun really doesnt work. I already wake up at 4:45 am to get everything done before I leave. So its still dark when I get up either way.

On a side note, I was also reading not to long ago about how removing Daylight savings time really does a number on some economies closer to the equator that rely on daytime activities. Brazil did away with daylight savings time and it took an hour of daylight out of the middle of the day and that daylight now occurs between 4 am and 5 am, when people are asleep regardless. I know most of us aren't concerned how this argument affects Brazil, but I just thought that was an interesting note to think about.

Reactions: Captain_Dawg02
You did not read what I wrote above apparently. As you yourself said, it is the same amount of daylight so when we get up is not the issue (I would be getting up later if we get rid of standard time, and I doubt you would find me somehow lacking in getting-up resolve if you knew my schedule).

The issue is legally pushing daylight artificially into the evening hours during the winter. That means a whole bunch of people will now have daylight when they make a living shoved into evening time with their families. For what? Perhaps there is a great tradeoff that justifies it but just mocking the other viewpoint and challenging our ability to wake up is not making the case IMO.
I actually thought this was the newer time here in the Summer. If they kept it the same then it would get dark earlier in the Summer and we could have the drive-in again. I think we need drive-ins to return in the covid age and it needs to be dark no later than around 8 for a family to enjoy them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT