ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Poll???

Have you gotten' one, or both Covid Vaccines? If yes, which one?

• Yes

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • No

Votes: 38 28.8%
  • Pfizer, Moderna, or J&J...

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Pfizer

Votes: 47 35.6%
  • Moderna

Votes: 36 27.3%
  • J&J

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters
I got Covid back in November as did my wife. I was eligible for the vaccine at the beginning of April and immediately got the Moderna 1st and 2nd shots. My wife and son were both holding out just to see if there were side effects (I was obviously the family lab-rat). Well my son just got to day 10 of his bout with Covid and now he's a believer and will get the vaccine once he can, and my wife finally succumbed to my pressure and went to get the first Pfizer shot today. I think it's a personal decision...just one I chose to make early on. Don't want a bad case of it again.

Wbrs0xMfYqHY0P1DRosPH79XpNSZqo.gif

Reactions: Spe77
Their is a miscomception about the vaccine, it won't neccesarily prevent you from contracting covid, but it will keep you out of the hospital and your sysmptoms will be milder.

However, unless more people decide to get vaccinated, the vaccines will likely be less effective against covid as it continues to mutate. Every mutation make it harder to wipe out. Had most of the country been vaccinated, covid would be essentially gone in the US.

Last edited:
Not doing it. My body my choice as they said back in the day. I have many friends that are doctors, including surgeons, radiologists, orthopedic, etc. Plus nurses, and pharmacists, including my PharmD Dawgette daughter in law.

Exactly NONE of them have received the “vaccine “ and each one said, in ten words or less, “no way”.

No, a discussion about any UGAA Covid protocol is a valid Vent topic. A poll simply asking people's vaccination status is absolutely not.
Disagree. Folks are gonna post opinions and shots stuff as soon as UGAA announces whatever they decide for games. We might as well discuss it now v putting off the inevitable cause there won't be any difference.

Last edited:
Not doing it. My body my choice as they said back in the day. I have many friends that are doctors, including surgeons, radiologists, orthopedic, etc. Plus nurses, and pharmacists, including my PharmD Dawgette daughter in law.

Exactly NONE of them have received the “vaccine “ and each one said, in ten words or less, “no way”.
Don't believe you. Not a single word. You're simply making up a narrative and peddling it as some valid reason to put yourself and others at risk. People post this type of absolute rubbish all the time but never post a doctor / nurse / surgeons name to back it up? Why" Because it's untrue. I and spouse know tons of med pros, too, and every single one of them have been and urge patients to be vaccinated.

Their is a miscomception about the vaccine, it won't neccesarily prevent you from contracting covid, but it will keep you out of the hospital and your sysmptoms will be milder.

However, unless more people decide to get vaccinated, the vaccines will likely be less effective against covid as it continues to mutate. Every mutation make it harder to wipe out. Had most of the country been vaccinated, covid would be essentially gone in the US.
Here's what I need help understanding. It's been established that vaccinated people can continue to get Covid-19 infections, so how does being vaccinated stop mutations and prevent spread?

This article explains mutations, variants, and strains, but it also says that vaccinated people can't spread the virus which doesn't seem true.

Delta won’t be the last variant of COVID-19 we see. That’s because every time the virus jumps to a new person, its chance of mutation increase. If the virus keeps running into vaccinated people, it hits a wall and can’t keep spreading. Decreasing the number of infections in a community is the best way to prevent new variants from developing,” Dr. Best says.

Meanwhile, this CDC study claims that being fully vaccinated significantly reduces chance of infection yet speculates on reduced risk of vaccinated people spreading the virus based on fewer detectable particles in the nose and 6 fewer days of shedding.

That all sounds good on paper, but that doesn't translate in the real world. Multiple studies have shown the median shedding period to be from 20 to 31 days depending on severity.

So if we say vaccinated people with mild to moderate cases are on the low end, that's 14 days of shedding which is more than enough time to spread the virus a lot with back to normal activity we're seeing in the real world with far less mitigation at play.

So given that vaccinated people can get infected and can spread the virus, being vaccinated won't stop mutations and so won't prevent variants and eventually new strains.

There's a big difference between a vaccine preventing infection in 91% of exposures and a vaccine making infections milder 91% of the time. The former significantly stops the opportunity of spread while the latter might only slow it somewhat, if at all because the opportunity for exposure to others is still high. It sounds like the latter is our reality.

Agree on your choice but I am curious on the reason why not? Not just you but in general.

Maybe I am to trusting in the drug companies. I admit I am not the healthiest person (eat more junk food and drink more than I should). So the vaccine cannot be any worse than what I have done to my body for the last 20 years.

Disagree. Folks are gonna post opinions and shots stuff as soon as UGAA announces whatever they decide for games. We might as well discuss it now v putting off the inevitable cause there won't be any difference.

Potential inappropriate threads in the future do not make a current inappropriate thread any more valid.

I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Reactions: anesthesiadawg25
Don't believe you. Not a single word. You're simply making up a narrative and peddling it as some valid reason to put yourself and others at risk. People post this type of absolute rubbish all the time but never post a doctor / nurse / surgeons name to back it up? Why" Because it's untrue. I and spouse know tons of med pros, too, and every single one of them have been and urge patients to be vaccinated.
Don’t really care if you don’t believe a single word I said. I don’t wake up every morning and check to see if I have your blessings to form my own opinions. What I stated regarding medical personnel was the truth. I have zero interest in spreading a “narrative”. I, and my small circle of friends in the medical community, have concerns about the possible unseen long term effects of the vaccine. I have no interest in being a guinea pig at this point and despise that this has become politicized. It’s just that simple. There’s a good chance I’ll be vaccinated in the future once I’m satisfied it’s safe, but for now I’m not convinced.

I would be more than happy to post names, but I’m sure they enjoy their privacy just as much as you do.

Reactions: Spe77
Meanwhile, this CDC study claims that being fully vaccinated significantly reduces chance of infection yet speculates on reduced risk of vaccinated people spreading the virus based on fewer detectable particles in the nose and 6 fewer days of shedding.

That all sounds good on paper, but that doesn't translate in the real world. Multiple studies have shown the median shedding period to be from 20 to 31 days depending on severity.

So if we say vaccinated people with mild to moderate cases are on the low end, that's 14 days of shedding which is more than enough time to spread the virus a lot with back to normal activity we're seeing in the real world with far less mitigation at play.

I read that as vaccinated individuals that do get infected are primarily asymptomatic to mild symptoms. There are exceptions of course. So whatever it is that they're shedding, there's less of it for fewer days and it's going to be a mild variant which would also might have a hard time latching on to other vaccinated individuals.

To wit, the vaccinated population is statistically less likely to spawn mutations than the non vaccinated and over time you develop herd immunity as mutations become less prevalent.

There's 7.6B people on the planet. 26% of that population has received at least one dose. 55% of the US has at least one dose. 1% of low income country population have received one dose. The mutations are primarily going to spawn from the third world which has always been a petri dish for disease. 55% of the US has at least one dose. This isn't going away soon.

The numbers back this ongoing pandemic of the unvaccinated. Since this is now a chat thing, I find it incomprehensible that the decision to or to not get vaccinated is based on a person's political leanings. My politics are center right and had nothing to do with my health decision to be vaccinated. Weigh your risks based on your individual situation and do what you will but it's pretty easy to see who's landing in the hospital at this point and who isn't.

I read that as vaccinated individuals that do get infected are primarily asymptomatic to mild symptoms. There are exceptions of course. So whatever it is that they're shedding, there's less of it for fewer days and it's going to be a mild variant which would also might have a hard time latching on to other vaccinated individuals.

To wit, the vaccinated population is statistically less likely to spawn mutations than the non vaccinated and over time you develop herd immunity as mutations become less prevalent.

There's 7.6B people on the planet. 26% of that population has received at least one dose. 55% of the US has at least one dose. 1% of low income country population have received one dose. The mutations are primarily going to spawn from the third world which has always been a petri dish for disease. 55% of the US has at least one dose. This isn't going away soon.

The numbers back this ongoing pandemic of the unvaccinated. Since this is now a chat thing, I find it incomprehensible that the decision to or to not get vaccinated is based on a person's political leanings. My politics are center right and had nothing to do with my health decision to be vaccinated. Weigh your risks based on your individual situation and do what you will but it's pretty easy to see who's landing in the hospital at this point and who isn't.
I appreciate your response but it strayed from the question hand.

The focus is on a published doctor claiming that vaccinated people can't spread COVID-19 therefore it can't mutate in a vaccinated person, but the CDC report doesn't say that at all. In fact, any reference to the idea of even reduced chances of spread is pre-empted with "could" and "may" which aren't scientifically sound descriptions of chance.

Mutations are the byproduct of virus replication within a host deviating from the source strain being copied. Therefore, if a vaccinated person can be infected, then that host makes copies of the virus and thus has the ability to produce mutations.

Until we have the ability to control viral replication to ensure only exact copies are made within a host, we cannot stop the chance of mutations in infected hosts. Our only hope of stopping mutations is to stop infections or stop the spread. Neither has been accomplished as evidence by the spread through vaccinated and unvaccinated alike. The only thing that's been accomplished is reducing the number of severe cases in vaccinated people and that's great.

Also keep in mind that the CDC report only covers under 4000 vaccinated people through April which means it likely doesn't have a significant measure of Alpha, Delta, and certainly not Lambda and their impact on society.

We know that Delta surged in India despite a lot of vaccination. It's a perfect illustration that percentages lose their impact when raw numbers are large because opportunity of spread isn't a top end numbers game, it's always one to many for respiratory viral transmission. So it doesn't matter if the nation's population is in the hundreds of millions or in the billions when an infected person in their shedding period is interacting with 30 people within an enclosed space for a significant amount of time.

There's a lot of nuance in the wild as compared to lab sampling of a statically small group.

I appreciate your response but it strayed from the question hand.

The focus is on a published doctor claiming that vaccinated people can't spread COVID-19 therefore it can't mutate in a vaccinated person, but the CDC report doesn't say that at all. In fact, any reference to the idea of even reduced chances of spread is pre-empted with "could" and "may" which aren't scientifically sound descriptions of chance.

Mutations are the byproduct of virus replication within a host deviating from the source strain being copied. Therefore, if a vaccinated person can be infected, then that host makes copies of the virus and thus has the ability to produce mutations.

Until we have the ability to control viral replication to ensure only exact copies are made within a host, we cannot stop the chance of mutations in infected hosts. Our only hope of stopping mutations is to stop infections or stop the spread. Neither has been accomplished as evidence by the spread through vaccinated and unvaccinated alike. The only thing that's been accomplished is reducing the number of severe cases in vaccinated people and that's great.

Also keep in mind that the CDC report only covers under 4000 vaccinated people through April which means it likely doesn't have a significant measure of Alpha, Delta, and certainly not Lambda and their impact on society.

We know that Delta surged in India despite a lot of vaccination. It's a perfect illustration that percentages lose their impact when raw numbers are large because opportunity of spread isn't a top end numbers game, it's always one to many for respiratory viral transmission. So it doesn't matter if the nation's population is in the hundreds of millions or in the billions when an infected person in their shedding period is interacting with 30 people within an enclosed space for a significant amount of time.

There's a lot of nuance in the wild as compared to lab sampling of a statically small group.
TL:DR for below.. I don't think we get rid of it for years if ever.

If an infected person is interacting with 30 vaccinated individuals in a closed space and none of them get anything worse than a slight fever do you care? And those people are probably less likely to pass it on to someone else or develop a variant. That's no different than walking out the door before any of this ever occurred. The only reason anybody paid attention to this thing was it's lethality and even then it's extremely biased toward older and compromised health individuals. There are others but they aren't statistically significant enough for a pandemic response.

It's a coronavirus. I don't think you stop mutations and people will continue to test positive. It probably becomes more of an annual flu shot thing. As long as the only statistically significant groups that are being hospitalized are the unvaccinated then they bear the risk and everybody else gets on with their lives. If the high risk portion of the unvaccinated population in the US were vaccinated, this surge wouldn't be front page news. We'll still get positive tests like we're seeing with the Yankees but you'd never know they were sick for the most part unless they're tested.

Population density is huge in this. It's why NYC got hammered particularly hard. You have to live somewhere where there is a high probability of coming in contact with someone that was exposed.

There's still too much of one size fits all approach to this because governments and bureaucracies are incapable of implementing targeted granular programs. Individuals are in the best position to make informed decisions for themselves based on their particular situations but interpreting informed and making smart decisions is carrying a lot water.

There should be NO argument and it’s a valid Vent topic as UGAA will have some form of Covid protocol for fans attending games.
The argument is those of us who have had it don't need the vaccine. But we are now a forgotten class of citizens because that doesn't fit the fascist narrative of 'submit and vaccinated or go to jail' , does it?

Reactions: oldmandawg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT