ADVERTISEMENT

Procter & Gamble bring you another episode of that sordid soap opera set in Tuscaloosa: As the QBs Take Turns.....

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
"It's still fall camp for the QBs" Gump: At this point it's not who marches out there to start the game but will they play well enough to keep the next man on the bench.

"Hopefully, the OL and RBs will keep us from throwing RZ passes" Gump: To even take it a step further, it's also who can keep the other team's QB on the bench. If one of our QBs can keep the chains moving, not only do we shorten the game, but if our OL and running game show up, we will drive it into the EZ when we get it in the RZ.

"Most have a QB1, we now have a QB4" Gump:
Milroe, Simpson, Buchner getting 1st team reps.

Lonergan moved to scout team at least for now.

According to the more famous insider

"In short, I don't know jack****" Gump:
My biggest problem with the QB race is that CNS has seemed quiet and easy going about it. It could be that our QBs are better than we thought, or our Rushing game is better than we have been led to believe. One thing is for sure TEXAS probably doesn't know who our QB will be. Texas don't know who our better Receivers are. Do we even have a better receiver.
Another week and we ought to start to get some answers.

"First game of the year and we're starting from scratch" Gump: Coach said the first game is not the end of the competition but the beginning. Whoever performs under fire the best will settle in to lead us the remainder of the season. Only question is, how long will it take for someone to take the reigns and not let go.

"After reading all insiders and Bammer practice reports I've come to one conclusion" Gump:
A QB will start.

This is the way.

"Our QB situation is kinda like a colonoscopy prep" Gump:

I think the starter against Texas is the one who plays the best against MTSU, but I don't have full confidence that means he's the starter for the rest of the year.

If the QB situation is a fluid as it sounds, I could see the competition going several games into the season...maybe 3 or 4 games.

"We started the colon prep too late and risk crapping all over the doctor and nurses." Gump:
I have no idea what the time frame is, but hope you’ve over-estimated it.

If we’re that unsettled that far into the season, the chances of a loss somewhere in there are exponentially greater. UTw is the obvious candidate, but Ole Miss wouldn’t be a gimme.

"Glass half full" Gump: Milroe isn't trailing in the competition. He's separating himself from others. As long he doesn't fumble the ball, I can see Saban to get more extensive look at Simpson/Buchner...

Gump on the inside: Milroe needs every snap he can get.

"If you have a plan B, you don't have a QB" Gump:
The real danger with pulling the trigger on Milroe right now is that if we are wrong then you want to have a true plan B. If Milroe can’t scare anyone with his arm then people are going to load the box on us and take their chances like they did vs Jalen in 2017.

We need to know we have someone that can come in if things go south on him. Milroe isn’t close to winning the job according to the more credible reports out there. So it’s still a wide open competition

"Y'all hating on Milroe, but he's the best in non game type situations" Gump:
I"m disappointed in reading some of the comments regarding Milroe... I've said this over and over... You can't use TAMU game and scrimmages from Spring and fall camp to determine that He's not doing enough to give ya'll confidence that he can get the job done. We've been down the road with AJ, Jake Coker and Jalen Hurts.
Milroe has improved so much since December, He can get the job done should he get the start this weekend. I've always said I thought Simpson will eventually figure it out and will become starter, but if Milroe is getting better in each practice, then I don't see any reason for anyone to complain about him based on his past.
Right now, his issue is telegraphing his throws and fumbling. Simpson's issue is confidence. Both can be fixed. They need to get game reps to build up confidence and That's why we will see qb rotation in the game this weekend.

"This whole QB thing is Saban playing chess vs. Texas" Gump: I see the RBs getting the bulk of the workload Saturday and keeping Sark guessing about our passing game...

"We just hit blacjack on four straight hands" Gump: I get the spirit in which you mean this, but I don't think we realize how rare it is for a team to hit on quarterbacks four straight times. High expectations or not, that doesn't change the probability of having Jalen Hurts/Tua/Mac Jones/Bryce Young as your quarterbacks in a sequence.

Bilingual family Gump: My dad used to say potential is French for "hasn't done a dadgum thing"

"They just need to be as good as the four time CFP MVP" Gump: I also know that the previous four quarterbacks were better/more talented passers than Simpson and Milroe. I can see this progressing like UGA's QB situation did with Bennett. Many forget that it wasn't until the back end of his time as a QB that Bennett was an asset to the offense. A lot of their games they didn't win because of him. They spoonfed him A LOT and he kept getting better. That is what we're probably going to have to do with our QB situation.

"If Milroe can reach his potential, he's better than all of the QBs before? Gump: Look, I want it to work out with him. He is built like brick crap house and has insane athletic ability. He seems like a good kid and a team player. And if he could put it together. Alabama would probably decimate the entire the conference.

"We only need a game manager, but do we have a game manager" Gump: Are any of them as good as Greg McElroy? Yes or no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News