ADVERTISEMENT

Pug, the slinky on the bird feeder pole didn’t work.

A dang squirrel managed to move the slinky to one side and climb up the pole. I have been battling him all day. I guess I am going to have to craft an inverted cone to attach to the pole instead.

Either that, or maybe I could give that squirrel some post-it notes in exchange for staying out of my bird feeder.

nothing has bothered me lately.
the wild animals;
of which i've honesty Spoken.

best I did,
yet it may backfire is

mammals cannot tolerate.

if you walk into a feeder?!
try not to.

Last edited:
A dang squirrel managed to move the slinky to one side and climb up the pole. I have been battling him all day. I guess I am going to have to craft an inverted cone to attach to the pole instead.

Either that, or maybe I could give that squirrel some post-it notes in exchange for staying out of my bird feeder.

I have a couple of anti-squirrel bird feeders that work pretty well. This one works well. The landing ledge is spring loaded, tension is adjustable. Squirrels fall right off of it because they too heavy. Some have tried to go top down but they can't reach the feeding access holes. When first installed, it was funny to see thier frustration. They don't even try anymore. I have right next to a rail so squirrels can get to it easily but no go!! :) On AMAZON

81R2T0i54OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

you have the best option,
along with Dead Duck.
I need to remove my sights.
I need short range.

I have a couple of anti-squirrel bird feeders that work pretty well. This one works well. The landing ledge is spring loaded, tension is adjustable. Squirrels fall right off of it because they too heavy. Some have tried to go top down but they can't reach the feeding access holes. When first installed, it was funny to see thier frustration. They don't even try anymore. I have right next to a rail so squirrels can get to it easily but no go!! :) On AMAZON

Thanks for the recommendation. JaneRussellDawg just ordered it. I will keep the current one for the squirrels.

invent some kind of pipe that fires a small projectile, say around .22 caliber

The most entertaining squirrel proof feeder is the Wild Bill. About 30,000 volts DC from a 9 volt battery. Will turn a squirrel into a gymnast. I have witnessed a triple somersault with a twist and a double salchow, stuck the landing and trailed a rooster tail of leaves through two yards. But I generally just blast them with subsonic .22 rounds, CCI segmented which reduces ricochet risk. The coons and possums cause me no trouble, so I like them. I leave the squirrel corpse where it falls and it is invariably gone in the morning. So I regard it not as killing a squirrel but as providing a coon or possum a delicious squirrel dinner.

edit: Interestingly, it does not shock birds because their feet have no moisture in them and thus do not conduct.

Last edited:
The most entertaining squirrel proof feeder is the Wild Bill. About 30,000 volts DC from a 9 volt battery. Will turn a squirrel into a gymnast. I have witnessed a triple somersault with a twist and a double salchow, stuck the landing and trailed a rooster tail of leaves through two yards. But I generally just blast them with subsonic .22 rounds, CCI segmented which reduces ricochet risk. The coons and possums cause me no trouble, so I like them. I leave the squirrel corpse where it falls and it is invariably gone in the morning. So I regard it not as killing a squirrel but as providing a coon or possum a delicious squirrel dinner.

edit: Interestingly, it does not shock birds because their feet have no moisture in them and thus do not conduct.
Duck, you are a varminterian and a cursive scholar.

a product called 'squirrel away' keeps mammals off.
birds cannot taste that heat.
downside, it gets wet and binds the seed.

more than once I've bumped my head against it ,
even on the skin, it burns pretty good.
I have a life-long history with squirrels, and at this point in my life, I don’t want to harm them if they do no damage to me.

You see, I have some penance to do. About three years ago, I was trimming the palms in the backyard. I was on a ladder and grabbed a clump of palm fronds caught in the branch of a Christmas palm. All hell broke loose as a mama squirrel began fussing at me big time. When I got to the ground, I looked through the debris and realized it was a nest full of newborn baby squirrels. I rushed them to the local wildlife rescue center, but they couldn’t be saved. I’ve always felt bad about that, so I’m going to dedicate one of the feeders to the squirrels. Now if they get in my attic, the guilt will be gone.

Hey @poochpup, I just finished installing this bird feeder. What tension level did you set on the perches? I started with medium, which is supposed to accommodate birds up to 4 ounces, which the instructions say allows up to bluejays and doves. It seems awfully sensitive to me.

Reactions: deadduckdawg
Hey @poochpup, I just finished installing this bird feeder. What tension level did you set on the perches? I started with medium, which is supposed to accommodate birds up to 4 ounces, which the instructions say allows up to bluejays and doves. It seems awfully sensitive to me.
to be honest, I don't remember. I'll check during daylight hours. I set it once and haven't touched it since. the main thing, is watch the squirrels. if they fall off the thing, then you got it. Now of course, when birds feed, depending on your seed, the husks or seed will naturally hit the ground. Squirrels all over that. But they can't get into my bird feeder. they will try and come from the top or side and hang on - maybe one or 2 succeeded but most can't do it. They actually don't even try now.

I also have this one. It gets great reviews. Same principal sort of. When squirrels get on "the ring" the ports close because of their weight. But bird weight allows them to feed. But I like the 1st one i posted better. I made the mistake of leaving this one (image below) in the open on a shepherd's hook but when it rains, the moister clogs the wholes up. Same thing with hot humidity. But it works. I fill it up a couple times each year. I have many more birds attract to 1st one. But I also have a bird bath next to 1st one. I found it cheaper on another site. This is also a great site to see the different kinds of feeders out there: https://www.duncraft.com/ . Also, with any change of habitat (feeder), it will take birds a couple weeks to discover, become comfortable with it. ))

51%2BiD0%2Bf2mL._AC_SL1027_.jpg

Last edited:
I also have this one. It gets great reviews. Same principal sort of. When squirrels get on "the ring" the ports close because of their weight. But bird weight allows them to feed. But I like the 1st one i posted better. I made the mistake of leaving this one (image below) in the open on a shepherd's hook but when it rains, the moister clogs the wholes up. Same thing with hot humidity. But it works. I fill it up a couple times each year. I have many more birds attract to 1st one. I found it cheaper on another site. This is also a great site to see the different kinds of feeders out there: https://www.duncraft.com/ . Also, with any change of habitat (feeder), it will take birds a couple weeks to discover, become comfortable with it. ))

51%2BiD0%2Bf2mL._AC_SL1027_.jpg
I have 3 of those and used to have one of the first one you posted. Agree, they are all solid squirrel proof feeders. But the squirrels have done some chewing on the metal of mine. My house has a lot of cedar and they have wrecked it, so I kill them. I don’t like it, but there is no choice. If they’d leave my house alone I’d feed them, but they won’t.

and yes, you do have to clean out those feeders, particularly after rainy periods, but that’s been my experience with all of them. The Wild Bill electric feeders are a hoot and the squirrels give up after getting blasted a couple times.

I have 3 of those and used to have one of the first one you posted. Agree, they are all solid squirrel proof feeders. But the squirrels have done some chewing on the metal of mine. My house has a lot of cedar and they have wrecked it, so I kill them. I don’t like it, but there is no choice. If they’d leave my house alone I’d feed them, but they won’t.

and yes, you do have to clean out those feeders, particularly after rainy periods, but that’s been my experience with all of them. The Wild Bill electric feeders are a hoot and the squirrels give up after getting blasted a couple times.
Link for the Wild Bill? ))

Link for the Wild Bill? ))
This is the manufacturer: http://squirrel-free.com/birdfeederproducts.html. They have been around a long time. I bought my first one, a 12 port, at Wild Birds Unlimited in East Cobb. The franchise owner is very helpful and does free or cheap repairs on feeders he sells. He made me a test light for the Wild Bill which is handy for checking the battery. Wild Bills are easy to buy. Amazon, Ebay, direct from the manufacturer. The 8 port, which I have now, is big enough.

they require some maintenance. I can completely disassemble it in just a couple minutes. Every 2 or 3 years you have to clean connections with a small wire brush and sandpaper. The manufacturer sells every part should you need anything. My first one lasted about 10 years. They have since been improved with a sealed circuit board which cuts down on maintenance.

They will get your attention if you forget to turn it off and touch the tray and a perch. The roof also has a hot spot, a metal disk. It is also effective against any other pests, rats, coons, possums. Just not birds. They use a single 9V battery which lasts a few months.

This is the manufacturer: http://squirrel-free.com/birdfeederproducts.html. They have been around a long time. I bought my first one, a 12 port, at Wild Birds Unlimited in East Cobb. The franchise owner is very helpful and does free or cheap repairs on feeders he sells. He made me a test light for the Wild Bill which is handy for checking the battery. Wild Bills are easy to buy. Amazon, Ebay, direct from the manufacturer. The 8 port, which I have now, is big enough.

they require some maintenance. I can completely disassemble it in just a couple minutes. Every 2 or 3 years you have to clean connections with a small wire brush and sandpaper. The manufacturer sells every part should you need anything. My first one lasted about 10 years. They have since been improved with a sealed circuit board which cuts down on maintenance.

They will get your attention if you forget to turn it off and touch the tray and a perch. The roof also has a hot spot, a metal disk. It is also effective against any other pests, rats, coons, possums. Just not birds. They use a single 9V battery which lasts a few months.

between Porky and the dogs, I'm not seeing a squirrel problem.
but somebody; either squirrel or starling took a try at my attic.
took a shot at couple of starlings, but already noted sights are in the way.

I let the chipmunks do their best.
never saw any harm,
also watched a rabbit only a few minutes ago.
munching happily in front yard.
tried to follow.
I know where she hid, but not sure of her destination.

Reactions: deadduckdawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT