ADVERTISEMENT

Quickly on last night…

TheRedRain

War Daddy
Gold Member
May 6, 2005
I thought that was our most dominant SEC win of the year. I know that we beat Tennessee by a bigger margin, but for me, last night was more dominant. We scored in every inning, pitched our first SEC shutout, and only allowed 3 hits.

We were +8 in K’s, and while I don’t think Leighton Finley had a clean inning, he never got in any real trouble after the 1st.

With where we are in the standings, last night may have been our most important game of the year going into it. I’m more confident in saying it was Vanderbilt’s biggest game. It’s not like they rolled in here at 16-5 and were just playing for a good national seed.

On that note, and it always takes the full weekend to get the full view, but this doesn’t look like the typical Vanderbilt team. You’re used to seeing those Vanderbilt groups that keep rolling out power arms from their bullpen and that overwhelm you offensively with their run game and aggression. Not to suggest that they aren’t capable of giving us some real headaches this weekend, but this just doesn’t seem like the Vanderbilt group we have seen in the past.

They’re now 2-8 on the road in the league. All 8 of those losses have been by 4 runs or more. For comparison sake, Auburn is 3-19 in the conference right now. The Tigers are 1-11 in SEC road games, but 6 of those losses have been by 3 runs or less. When you have a record like 3-19, you lose all types of games. Still, Auburn has arguably been more competitive on the road this year than Vanderbilt.

Since the SEC opening series, we are 11-8. We probably should be better - 12-7 or even 13-6…. But we are 11-8 and haven’t been swept since that Lexington trip. In that same time frame, Vanderbilt is 8-11.

I haven’t seen all of Leighton Finley’s starts in person, but I thought his stuff looked better last night than ever before. He was dirty. That was a tight strike zone last night also, and he got 11 K’s. Really happy for that guy… he’s gotten better and better as the year has gone.

Regardless of what Vanderbilt has and hasn’t done on the road this year, I expect a battle today. This is a huge game for them also. Last night was the third time we’ve run-ruled a league opponent on Friday night. Tennessee beat us the next two days and then we played two tight games with Ole Miss - splitting those.

I tell you though… there is a still a lot of book to be written, but this is turning into one of my favorite Georgia teams. Just can’t say enough how much I’ve enjoyed this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News