Trent Smallwood

War Daddy
Staff
Aug 25, 2014
Flowery Branch, Georgia
uga.rivals.com
Bulldogs add Wide Receiver Commit

[/B]
Houston County High wide receiver Cincinnati Bearcats.

The three-star prospect discussed why he made the decision to commit so early in the process.

"I feel comfortable with my decision of picking Georgia," Anderson told UGASports. " I just feel like its home."

Wide Receiver coach John Lilly were the two coaches that have chased hard after Anderson.

"They are honest coaches and they are just straight up with you," Anderson said. "They just liked how I am as a football player and my athletic ability at wide receiver."

With a commitment under his belt, Anderson discussed his future going forward.

"Yeah somewhat," Anderson replied on recruiting other prospects. "I am just going to focus on Georgia. If a team comes around that I am comfortable with I will be open to a visit. I'm mainly just getting ready for football season and trying to win a ring."

Trent Smallwood take: [/B]
Darion Anderson is an elite play-maker at wide receiver. Has the ability to play on the outside or in the slot. He is dangerous and elusive in the open field with the ball in his hands. One thing that stands out is the size of his hands. He snatches the ball out of the air with ease, showing soft hands and excellent body control. Good top end speed in open field and also acceleration off the line. Plays a lot more physical then his 5'11 frame suggests. Reminds me of a slightly faster/little less explosive Terry Godwin at this point in his career. Needs to become more crisp in route running and improve getting off of bump coverage, but overall this is a big pickup for the Georgia Bulldogs.

Big Visitor talks visit[/B]

Though he missed the recent junior day, 2016 five-star defensive tackle Derrick Brown managed to make his way to Athens last Friday, and the visit was a family affair.

"The visit was good," Brown said. "I was there, and I saw two other guys visiting. That was it, though. My mom and dad came up with me."

Brown was able to spend a good amount of one-on-one time with the coaching staff after missing junior day.

"It was a lot more talking in person with the coaches," Brown said. "We talked with Coach [Jeremy] Pruitt, Coach Rock [Tracy Rocker], and Coach [Mark] Richt. We talked football a little bit, but it was mostly them talking to my parents and conversing with them."

Brown says the visit did not shake up his recently released top ten, but four teams have had a heavy focus on him of late.

"Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, as well," Brown said of suitors. "As for a decision, I'm going to wait it out."

Trent Smallwood take: [/B]
Derrick Brown is elite on the defensive line. Georgia landed Trenton Thompson in 2014 and there is not many prospects with as much upside, but if there is one, that is Derrick Brown. He has an explosive first step, plays with a good pad level, and has violent hands. One of his best qualities is that he does not take plays off. If Brown makes his way to Athens, the Bulldogs will have a bright future on the interior defensive line for the next 2-3 years.
_______________________________________________________________________[/I]
2016 Targets Update Status
[/B]
• Rivals250 outside linebacker Georgia Bulldogs.

"I talked to Coach [Jeremy] Pruitt, the defensive coordinator," Okwara said. "He informed me about the offer. He told me he thinks I'm a great player, and he thinks I'm one of the top defensive targets they're recruiting right now. It's pretty cool that they think I'm one of the top players around here."

The 6-foot-4 four-star prospect may not be located close to Athens, but he's familiar with what the Bulldogs have to offer.

"One of my friends watches a lot of their game, so I've seen them with him," Okwara said. "I watched the Georgia/Louisville game since it was in Charlotte. I think it's a really good school, especially towards football. They almost made it to the national championship when they played Alabama. They lost, but they still make it to the top and play high level competition. They put guys in the league, so it's cool to know that I could make it too if I went there."

• Bamberg-Ehrhardt (Bamberg, S.C.) offensive guard Drew Wilson is seeing a spike in his recruitment of late and it appears the Bulldogs have been involved.

"My coach, Coach [Kevin] Crosby told me the day Georgia came down here my tenth grade year that they had offered me," Wilson said. "That was good. The next day, I started hitting the weight room. I went to their camp this summer, and the coach [Will Friend] liked my performance. It just escalated from there, and they've been there ever since."

With a offensive transition in Athens, the 6-foot-4, 285-pound Wilson says his recent contact with the Bulldogs has come from a defensive source.

"I've spoken with Coach Mike Ekeler," Wilson said. "I have not spoken with the Georgia people lately, though. Georgia has a lot of tradition, and I'd go there if I decide to one day become part of that tradition. Coach told me to keep getting bigger and stronger and to keep being a good kid. They want me to stay in the classroom and the weight room, and that's all I need."
• Four-Star Niceville, Florida wide receiver Elijah Stove talked with rivals.com recruiting analyst Mike Farrel at the Orlando Rivals camp this past weekend. He talked about his top schools, which included Georgia.

"Coach Richt, he is a good coach, he is just the type of coach you could sit with and talk for hours," Stove said. "He is a good man, he got out of church just to come meet me which is kind of different but it's special."

• Orlando, Florida linebacker Jonathan Jones talked with rivals.com during the Orlando Rivals Camp Series this past weekend. Georgia was mentioned as one of his top offers up to date.

"Well I mean I went there like my freshman year with my family, my cousin was going over there just for school," Jones said. "We just tagged alone to one of the tours they had. "It was great. When I was there they had a lot of technology that was coming up and were showing me a couple of things with the buildings they were building that are probably built now. I did not even get a good glimpse at the field while I was there because they were just showing me about the academics things."

The three-star linebacker liked what he saw on his visit to Georgia.

"From what I seen I felt real home and I just felt real good about it," Jones replied.

• Niceville, Florida safety Romeo Finley was also at the Rivals Orlando Camp Series this past weekend and was able to talk recruiting with Mike Farrell.

"I love it up there [Georgia] to. I love it that the coach [Mark Richt] was really real with me," Finley said. "He is just true to his word type of man and I like that."

Finley plans on visiting Georgia during his spring break in a couple weeks.

• Central (Ala.) defensive back John Broussard visited Georgia a couple weeks ago for Junior Day.

Following the visit, the Bulldogs now find themselves right in the thick of the race to sign Broussard, but will have to fend off several SEC rivals to eventually earn his signature.

"My top five are Georgia," Broussard said.

There was one prevailing thought from Broussard following his time at Georgia.
"Georgia all about winning on and off the field," Broussard said.
The four-star prospect received an offer from Georgia last year not long after defensive coordinator Kevin Sherrer have maintained contact ever since.
"I spent time with Coach Sherrer, but I didn't talk to Coach Pruitt or Coach [Mark] Richt. I just learned more about their education," Broussard said.

• Liberty County cornerback Richard LeCounte took in Athens on Tuesday night, catching Georgia versus Kentucky on the hardwood, and it appears the Bulldogs were able to make an impression.

"It was really fun," LeCounte said. "It was real good to meet with coaches and see who's recruiting my area. Just seeing all the other guys from around and seeing Coach [Mark] Richt up close and personal and talking with him was really fun. I had a good time watching the game, too."
The highly-regard defensive back also caught up with Georgia offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, who is now handling the Liberty County area of the state in recruiting.

• Class of 2017 athlete Kentucky basketball game on Tuesday night, and the Peachtree Ridge sophomore left impressed.

"It was great," Gibbs said of the visit. "I liked it a lot. The atmosphere was great. The game was live, and they should have pulled it out. It was good try against Kentucky. I liked hanging with coaches, like Coach [Mark] Richt. I got to meet the new running backs coach, Coach [Thomas] Brown. He's really cool. We talked football and life. Anything I wanted to talk about, they were down to talk. It was really cool on the football field and off. They talk to you like a mentor, sort of."
Fans were also involved in trying to recruit Gibbs to Athens.
"They were," Gibbs said. "I sat up in the higher section. I like sitting up high, actually, and a lot of people were asking me if I was going to commit or whatever. I told them I wasn't sure yet, but it was really cool. I told them I was just taking my time."

• Sophomore running back Toneil Carter (Houston, Texas/Langham Creek High) helped lead his Lobos team to a 9-2 season in 2014. The sophomore speedster had an outstanding season, carrying the ball 189 times for 1,382 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Georgia has had success at the running back position over the last several seasons and it has caught the attention of prospects across the country.

"I mean, I have never been to the school yet but the chemistry on the running backs runs so deep," Toneil responded. "Also they are SEC team, I like competition."

• Class of 2017 athlete Georgia's recent junior day, as the Bulldogs formally extended an offer to the sophomore.

"Coach [Mark] Richt called me into his office and just kind of talked to me about the school and what I want to major in," Dallas said. "He just treated me like a son, I guess. He said he wanted to offer me a scholarship. They were emphasizing family aspect of the game and playing with toughness and stuff like that."

The family message rang true with Dallas, and he says the offer is a standout.

"It means a lot because it's the home state team, and they really treated me like family," Dallas said. "Coach [Jeremy] Pruitt treated me like a son, and Coach Mark Richt really likes me."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.