Recruiting Roundup 03/24/2015/ Top Targets Talk UGA

Trent Smallwood

War Daddy
Staff
Aug 25, 2014
Flowery Branch, Georgia
uga.rivals.com
Top Targets talk Bulldogs

• Three-star linebacker Georgia's junior day provided a personal look into the Bulldogs' program where he may find himself.

"Junior day was the same coaches as before but in a more intimate setting," Laguins said. "I caught up with Coach [Mike] Ekeler, Coach [Jeremy] Pruitt, and Coach [Mark] Richt, as well. They're recruiting me hard, if not harder than before. They're saying I could really fit in with their scheme, and I could play inside or outside linebacker, as I'm pretty versatile. I'm not limited to one position or anything. Whichever one I feel I can shine at, I could focus on that one, or if I feel I could do both, I could try both of them. I really like that."

Georgia is making Laguins a priority for their upcoming class, and he's certainly noticed the recent shift.

"I'd say it's picked up gradually, especially after signing day," Laguins said. "Since I'm more of a senior than junior now in terms of recruitment, they're really trying to focus on this 2016 class."

UGASports Columnist Trent Smallwood's take:[/B]
Jaleel Laguins would most likely be looked upon as an inside linebacker in Pruitt's scheme. He has taken numerous trips to Athens over the last year and Georgia is the favorite to land him. He is going to take his time throughout his process, but Georgia is certainly the team to beat moving into spring. [/I]

• When the nation's No. 5 cornerback, Georgia's recruiting efforts.

Not so, according to the four-star defender.

"No, the distance doesn't knock them out. Not at all," Ladler said. "I wouldn't cut them out because of that. With Georgia, they're the home-state. I feel comfortable there. Georgia will probably always be the top school going into the process."

Jeremy Pruitt has the 5-foot-11, 168-pound Ladler atop his wishlist for his 2016 defensive backfield, and the Bulldogs are getting help in recruiting from a current commit.

"I haven't been hearing from many coaches lately, since this is a period we can't talk," Ladler said. "They can't call us. With Georgia, I've been talking to Chauncey [Rivers], and he's been telling me he's going to talk to them for me until we're out this dead period."

Trent Smallwood's take:[/B]
Many thought that LSU was the favorite for Ladler following his move to the IMG academy, but that does not seem to be the case. Georgia was in on Ladler early when he was at Stephenson, and they continue the hard pursuit. While LSU seems to be slow playing him with prospects and commits higher on their board, the Bulldogs have made him a priority. I think Georgia will be a big factor in Ladler's recruitment moving into the spring and summer months.

[/I]
• Defensive end Jordan Smith (Lithonia, Ga./Lithonia) is picking up a lot of steam on the recruiting trail, and the 2016 three-star prospect mentioned the Bulldogs are among those ramping up the pursuit.

"I've been hearing a lot from Georgia," Smith said at the Rivals Camp Series in Atlanta. "They've been coming at me pretty strong lately since they've offered me. They're asking me to come up a lot to visit and see around campus and stuff."

The 6-foot-5 defender recently touched down in Athens to catch Kentucky in a raucous arena.
"It was a great experience, because I got to meet a lot of people," Smith said. "It was a good atmosphere for the game, because it Georgia-Kentucky, so it was pretty deep. We got to meet Charles Barkley while I was there. I got to talk to Mark Richt, and it was a real good experience. He was just asking how I liked it and how I was feeling and stuff like that."

The state of Georgia was loaded at outside linebacker last year, but not so much in 2016. One name that sticks out is Jordan Smith, and the Bulldogs offered him recently. The offer put the Bulldogs at the top and right now it will be hard for any team to knock Georgia out of that spot.
[/I]

• Despite moving its junior day, Georgia managed to host a star-studded weekend, as recruits from around the southeast descended on Atlanta for Rivals Camp on Saturday and made the short trip to Athens following the visit.

Chief among the names in attendance was five-star inside linebacker Ben Davis (Gordo, Alabama/Gordo High School) the nation's No. 14 ranked player for the Class of 2016.

"I've been hearing from USC," Davis said prior to Saturday's camp. "I'm visiting Georgia after this camp today."

The trip may be the first time the 6-foot-4, 231-pound junior has visited the Bulldogs, but he's already familiar with members of the staff who are well-ingrained in the state.

"I'm really close with Kevin Sherrer, the linebackers coach," Davis said. "I have a really good relationship with them. I could fit in at linebacker, inside or outside, and rushing the passer, also."

Ben Davis took in Georgia for the first time this past weekend, but he is going to be an extremely tough pull out of Alabama. Both the Tigers and Tide have an early lead on the Bulldogs, but a strong relationship with Jeremy Pruitt and Kevin Sherrer might get the Bulldogs a realistic chance. Look for Georgia to secure an official visit from Davis in the fall, as this will likely go all the way to National Signing Day.

[/I]
• Though JaQua Daniels (Athens, Ga./Clarke Central), a four-star running back in the 2016 class, has long had one from the hometown Bulldogs.

Although it seemed like the relationship between the two parties began to cool, it has heated back up since the hire of Thomas Brown as running backs coach.

"They've told me that they play young players, and I can get on the field with them," Daniels said. "I'm just right down the street, so it's my hometown."

The hometown running back recently took in a visit at Georgia's Junior Day.

"Really, I spent time with other players, other recruits, and coaches," Daniels responded. "We toured the campus, but I've really seen it all. I live right down the street."

A commitment could be coming very soon.

"I'm probably going to take my time and just see, but I'll probably commit sometime soon."

What happens over the next few months with Jaqua Daniels will be interesting. He has wanted to commit to the Bulldogs for a while now, but things had stalled out. It looks like Daniels is committing himself to the classroom which has Georgia pursuing hard again. If Daniels does what it takes off the field, he could likely find himself on the commit list sooner than later.
[/I]

• When you think Michigan, Thiyo Lukusa may be looking to change that.

"I kind of root for and wouldn't mind playing in the SEC," Lukusa said. "Coach [Mark] Richt is really cool to me and so is Coach [Rob] Sale. They're really straight up guys. I just think of it as an opportunity for me, and what better place than Georgia? There's a lot of history there and a lot of reasons to go."

With two linemen already in the fold, in Aaron Dowdell, how would the 6-foot-5, 300 pound lineman fit the Bulldogs needs?

"The Georgia staff sees me at tackle, if I'm able to, and guard is a possibility," Lukusa said. "I just like playing along the line, and they've said that I could play and be a go to guy in their program. They've said they want to take four offensive linemen."

One area the new staff have focused in on is landing top tier offensive lineman. Lukusa had the Bulldogs in his top five before even getting a Georgia offer, and when it came, it only helped their chances. The key here will be the visit, and the Bulldogs could make a run after the Michigan native with a good one.

[/I]
• Naples (Fla.) running back Carlin Fils-Aime has been on Georgia's radar for quiet sometime, and is starting to build a relationship with new running back coach Thomas Brown.

"He's an awesome guy," Fils-Aime said. "I love speaking to him."

The three-star back has talked about visit dates, but more concerned with building relationships.

"Well we've had some conversations about coming up and how the team is looking this year," Fils-Aime responsed. "Just getting to know each other really."

Georgia offered Fils-Aime back in the fall, and the Bulldogs have been in frequent contact since. Thomas Brown is now working to build a relationship with the Florida running back and I expect him to be on campus at some point in the summer. Some Florida teams are pushing hard for him, but Georgia is very much in the mix right now.[/I]

• Flanagan High (Fla.) inside linebacker Devin Bush was in Athens this past weekend visiting Georgia. He talked about the visit and his favorite part.

"It was freaking amazing," Bush said. "Just hanging out with the players and and coaches [was the best part]."

There were two coaches that he spent most of his time with during the visit.

"[Mike] Ekeler and [Jeremy] Pruitt," Bush responded. "Those are high intensity guys who love the game."

The two coaches set him down and broke down how he would be used in the Bulldogs defense.

"We watched film for hours," Bush replied. "Inside linebacker, three down backer, blitzer, coverage, everything."

Georgia has been in the lead group for Bush since last year. Ekeler and Pruitt have made the Florida linebacker a priority and it is paying dividends. His father played at Florida State, and there is a connection there, but Georgia is right in the mix and will likely get an official visit in the fall following his great visit this past weekend/[/I]

New 2017 Offers and Updates[/B]

• Jack Anderson from Frisco, Texas.

"I talked to the offensive line coach and he told me to call him today because the offensive coordinator wanted to talk to me," Anderson said. "I called Coach Sale today and he put me on the phone with Coach [Brian] Schottenheimer and he let me know I have an offer."

The Georgia offer is one that certainly has Anderson's attention.

"I'm excited about it," Anderson said. "It's a prestigious program and I'm looking to go visit when I get a chance. I'm definitely going to consider them."
• When the sophomore standout Jaden Hunter picked up an offer from the Bulldogs recently, many thought Hunter's recruitment might be over. Proving that media and fans shouldn't jump top conclusions, Hunter told UGASports that his relationship witht the Bulldogs' coaching staff is still very much developing.

"I haven't really heard much since Georgia offered me or not really as much," Hunter said. "I tried to get up there on a visit, but my mom couldn't make it, because she was tired. I had to just chill out on that visit."

Other schools and staffs, such as at Alabama, have ties to Hunter's father as well, and that connection is one that's important to the 6-foot-1 defender.

"I have a really great relationship with Coach [Kirby] Smart, because he played in college with my dad," Hunter said. "That kind of makes it even better. I've formed a good relationship with the outside linebackers coach, and, obviously, Coach Kirby is the middle linebackers coach, so it's good with him, too."

With two years of high school football left to go, Hunter likely won't make any sudden moves, but he does have one school leading the way at the moment and visits to come.

"Right now, I'm taking my time, but I'd say Alabama is at the top right now," Hunter said. "I'll probably go to LSU next month."
• Jamari Peacock (Yulee, Florida/Yulee High School) .

"I'm very interested in Nick Chubb at a young stage in their careers," Peacock said. "(Pruitt) is close friends with my offensive coordinator. He hasn't really told me how I could fit in. He's just told me that he wants me to come visit the school, come to the spring game, and come to a couple games down there this year."

While the Bulldogs have yet to offer, don't be surprised to see them follow the lead that others have taken for the 6-foot, 241-pound ball carrier. ______________________________________________________________________________

Under the Radar Prospects[/B]

• Anthony Turner | Wide Receiver

Notes: Turner is a long bodied receiver. Shows body control and good leaping ability when catching the ball. Very good speed in the open field. Has soft hands and catches the ball away from the body. Needs to become more explosive in running routes. A big percentage of his catches were fly routes where he just out jumped he defensive back. Turner is a sleeper in this class. Once he attends some camps this summer, he could be one that picks up big offers quickly.

• Elysee Mbem-Bosse | Linebacker

Notes: Mbem-Bosse is starting to catch the attention of colleges all over the country. He is a physical, downhill linebacker that can run. Gets sideline to sideline quickly, and is not afraid to come up and strike. Has the length to play on the outside also and speed to play on the inside. Georgia has been showing a lot of attention as of late.

• Stephen Omorogbe | Tight End/ Defensive End

Notes: Physical run-blocking tight end with above average hands. Is not used on defense much, but has perfect outside linebacker/defensive end frame. Plays a little high on his few snaps while on defensive side of ball. Very strong upper body and uses his hands nicely. Has a D1 frame, but is a raw athlete. Visited Auburn this past weekend and he will take more visits this spring.

• Patrick Kearns | Offensive Tackle

Notes: Although undersized, Kearns was very physical during the Rising Seniors week against a dominant defensive line. Extremely athletic for a big man and plays with a solid base. Very quick feet and gets to the second level and finishes blocks. Needs to add some weight and muscle to his frame. Plays in a run oriented offense at Darlington so he will have to get to camps this summer to show colleges how he can pass block.

• Michael Boykin | Defensive End

Notes:[/B] Boykin was a prospect that caught UGASports attention during the Rising Seniors practices. Has a quick first step and explosive out of stance. Would be a good 4-3 DT/3-4 DE fit at the next level. Sometimes he doesn't stay low and use leverage, but showed good bend and the ability to do it at Rising Seniors. Already with a few offer, I believe that will grow in near future.

• Malick Mbodj | Wide Receiver

Notes: Mbodj is another tall, rangy receiver from the state of Georgia. He shows crisp route running at times, but can be inconsistent. Has soft hands and catches balls out away from his body. Doesn't look fast in open field, but speed is deceiving with his long strides. UCF is his biggest offer up-to-date, and that list could continue to grow after camps this summer.

• Jordan Strevig | Kicker

Notes:[/B] Strevig showed an impressive leg during Rising Seniors week. He not only collect touchback after touchback on his kickoffs, he kicked it through the end zone, sometimes a good 5-10 yards past the back pylon. Consistent on field goals within 40-yards, but percentage dropped off on his field goals from 40-yards and back.

MORE INFORMATION ON THESE PROSPECTS HERE

Other Comments on UGA from Targets
[/B]
• "I've been keeping contact with Coach (Mark) Richt sometimes and also Coach (Tracy) Rocker. I talk with Coach (Kevin) Sherrer some, too. In the last two weeks, I haven't talked to many coaches from anywhere, though." - 2016 Carver (Montgomery, Alabama) five-star defensive end Marlon Davidson on his contacts in Athens[/B]

• "I actually got a chance to go up there and see a practice, and it was a good experience. It was my first time going to a college practice. I had a good time and really enjoyed it. It's a lot different from high school practices." - 2016 three-star Peachtree Ridge cornerback Chad Clay on his most recent visit.[/B]

• "I don't think so. I think Georgia's scared them off." - 2016 four-star McEachern defensive tackle Julian Rochester when asked if anyone has taken the top spot back from Georgia since naming them his leader in late February.[/B]

• "I talk to Georgia probably two or three times a week. Since they got the new coach from Creekside, Coach Downs, my cousin went there, and I got to know him a little bit before he went to Georgia. I talk to him a lot." - 2016 four-star Westlake defensive back Nigel Warrior on speaking with the Georgia staff and new quality control assistant Olten Downs.[/B]

• "I'm welcome anytime. I feel like home when I'm there." - 2016 Americus Sumter defensive tackle Tyler Clark on the Bulldog message to him.[/B]

• "They're the in-state. They're loving that I'm a Georgia Bulldogs fan my whole life, so it's been great." - 2016 four-star Cedar Grove defensive tackle Antwuan Jackson on his feelings toward Georgia[/B]

• "It was great to sit down and talk with Coach Richt and actually get to talk to him, even though he's busy, I like that about him." - 2017 Archer defensive back Isaiah Pryor on his recent stop in Athens.[/B]

• "They've got good facilities and good coaches, for real." - 2017 four-star Central (Phenix City, Alabama) linebacker Markail Benton on why the Dawgs made his top five.[/B]

• "I enjoyed being with the new coaching staff, like Coach (Thomas) Brown. I liked building a relationship with him and seeing how everything is and really getting a feel for Georgia since they offered me." - 2017 four-star Archer athlete Jamyest Williams on the junior day experience in Athens.[/B]

• "I just want to see how the people are there, the coaching staff, and how they work their program around. I'm leaving on Sunday night." - 2017 five-star Indian River (Chesapeake, Virginia) safety Devon Hunter on his visit to Athens post-Rivals Camp.[/B]

• "I got to talk to Coach Rocker a lot. Coach Lilly walked around with me and introduced me to the defensive coaches. What I liked most was the academic center was right next to the field house." - 2017 four-star Mary Persons defensive end Malik Herring on his favorite part of Georgia's junior day.[/B]

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.