ADVERTISEMENT

Redclayhound's Thursday Morning Ramblings........Enjoy.........

redclayhound

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
32.9815°N, 82.8101°W
chStUPMp.jpg

Good morning to all you truly good yet deplorable Dawgs…..I wish each of you good health……you’ll have to be in charge of the wealth and happiness part….Take care….

5e738842e0aa15341b674a3ecc1ef8a3.jpg

UGA SPORTS SPOTLIGHT:

I’m gonna mention a Dawg great in the UGA football spotlight section this morning, just to make sure at least something Dawg is mentioned today in this “DAWGChat” forum…Today the Georgia Bulldog in the spotlight is former Dawg Running Back Barry Young………..

Barry Young was born in 1962 and was raised in Swainsboro, GA …..Barry was an outstanding student-athlete and was named Most Athletic by his peers his senior year as a member of the graduating class of 1980 from Swainsboro High School…….He was a 6’2, 205 pound running back for the SHS Tigers in 1979. …..This great athlete “inked with Georgia” in 1979, and later signed a full grant-in-aid…….

Barry was recruited in the same class alongside Herschel Walker, a Georgia legend, who played his high school football just few minutes ride west of Swainsboro in Wightsville……Barry played in five games (his freshman season) backing up Herschel for the Bulldogs during their 1980 national championship season…..Young participated in all 11 regular season games in each of the next three seasons , while resting Walker along the way toward his 1982 Heisman Trophy. ……While Walker was playing professionally in 1983, Barry finished his senior season as the Bulldogs’ second-leading rusher with 502 rushing yards and four touchdowns…….The four year letterman ended his Georgia career rushing for 1,178 yards and eight touchdowns, and a nice 4.8 yards per carry average for his entire UGA career….. …..Kick in his receiving yards and one kickoff return, and Barry ended his UGA career with 1263 total yards……..

Following is a three minute video of Barry Young during his UGA playing days…..

Young earned his Bachelor of Science in education in 1991……….He then completed his master’s degree from the Cambridge College of Boston, Mass. in 2002……..He worked in both Camden County and Emanuel County School Systems as a football, basketball and track coach, as well as an educator……Sadly Barry passed away in April, 2016 at the very young age of 53........He's missed by all of Bulldawg Nation…….Barry Young was/is a DGD……….RIP Barry……..

SOME “STUFF YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED YOU DON”T KNOW” AND SOME “STUFF YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED YOU DO KNOW”……(by year/comments)

giphy.gif

1819 1st bicycles (swift walkers) in US introduced in NYC

image.jpg

1832 1st Democratic National Convention (Baltimore)

1846 1st steamship arrives in Hawaii

1861 Richmond, Va, is designated Confederate Capital

1881 American Red Cross founded by Clara Barton

1908 1st horror movie (Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde)

1914 Greyhound Bus Co begins in Minnesota

Screen%20Shot%202017-04-16%20at%207.23.26%20AM.png

1917 Leo Pinckney, 1st American drafted during WW I

1917 The Great Fire of Atlanta: at least 10,000 people were displaced, but there was only one fatality

The_Great_Atlanta_Fire%2C_1917.JPG

1918 US House of Representatives passes amendment allowing women to vote

1921 Oldest radio station west of Mississippi River licensed in Greeley Co

1922 "On the Road to Moscow" is 1st cartoon to receive a Pulitzer Prize

1926 White Sox Earl Sheely hits a record 6th consecutive double

1927 Aviator Charles Lindbergh, in the Spirit of St Louis, lands in Paris after the first solo air crossing of Atlantic

1930 Max Bishop draws 8 walks in a doubleheader

1930 NY Yankee Babe Ruth hits 3 consecutive homers

1932 After flying for 17 hours from Newfoundland, Amelia Earhart lands near Londonderry, Northern Ireland, becoming the 1st transatlantic solo flight by a woman

1934 Oskaloosa, Iowa, becomes first US city to fingerprint its citizens

1936 Sada Abe is arrested after wandering the streets of Tokyo for days with her dead lover's severed genitals in her hand. Her story soon becomes one of Japan's most notorious scandals.

1941 SS Robin Moor becomes the first US ship sunk by a U-boat during World War II

RobinMoor_03.jpg

1945 Nazi SS-Reichsfuehrer Heinrich Himmler captured

1948 NY Yank Joe DiMaggio hits for cycle (single, double, triple, HR)

1955 Chuck Berry records his first single, "Maybellene."

1955 1st transcontinental round-trip solo flight-sunrise to sunset

1964 1st nuclear-powered lighthouse begins operations (Chesapeake Bay)

1961 Governor Patterson declares martial law in Montgomery

1968 Cubs Billy Williams sets outfielder record of 695 straight game

1968 Nuclear-powered sub USS Scorpion, with 99 men, reported missing & is later found at the bottom of the ocean off Azores

scorpion_uss_launching.jpg

1969 Robert F. Kennedy's murderer Sirhan Sirhan sentenced to death, later commuted to life imprisonment

1969 After 9,015 at bats Hank Aaron is lifted for a pinch hitter, Mike Lum, who doubled in a 15-3 victory over NY Mets

1970 National Guard mobilizes to quell disturbances at Ohio State University

1970 The Guess Who had the #1 hit song in the US, “American Woman”

1971 National Guard mobilizes to quell riot in Chattanooga, Tennessee

1980 "Star Wars Episode V - Empire Strikes Back", produced by George Lucas opens in cinemas in UK and North America

1980 Ensign Jean Marie Butler is 1st woman to graduate from US service academy

1983 David Bowie's "Let's Dance" single goes #1

1986 Atlanta Brave Rafael Ramirez hits 4 doubles in a game

1988 "Eighteen Wheels And A Dozen Roses" by Kathy Mattea hits #1 on the Country chart.

1990 Dow Jones avgerage hits a record 2,844.68

1990 Last episode of "Newhart" airs on CBS-TV

1996 Ken Griffey Jr, 26, is 8th youngest to hits 200 home runs

1996 "You're Makin' Me High" single released by Toni Braxton (Grammy Award Best Female R&B Vocal Performance 1997)

1997 Blue Jays pitcher Roger Clemens beats the Yankees for his 200th win

1997 Emmy 24th Daytime Award presentation - Susan Lucci loses for 17th time

1998 In Miami, Florida, five abortion clinics are hit by a butyric acid attacker.

1999 All My Children star Susan Lucci finally wins a Daytime Emmy after being nominated 19 times, the longest period of unsuccessful nominations in television history

2003 38th Academy of Country Music Awards: Toby Keith, Martina McBride & Kenny Chesney are the big winners

b5484e4519b4e1c8266ba798c59ce64d.jpg

2007 Cutty Sark, the last surviving tea clipper, is badly damaged by fire in Greenwich, England.

2013 Microsoft announces the release of Xbox One

2016 On same card, American boxer Jermell Charlo KOs John Jackson in 8th to claim vacant WBC super welterweight title, and Jermall Charlo beats Austin Trout on points to retain IBF version; first twins to hold world championships in same weight division

2017 Barnum & Bailey Circus performs for the last time at the Nassau Coliseum in NYC after 146 years

2018 Teenager who started California's 2017 Eagle Creek Fire ordered to pay $36.6 million to cover damages by district judge

2018 Former US president Barack Obama and Michelle Obama sign deal with Netflix to produce films and series

2019 Nepalese Sherpa Kami Rita sets a new record for the number of climbs of Mt Everest - 24

2019 Washington is the first US state to legalize human composting

SOME FOLKS WHO DIED ON THIS DATE:

15501006471_d35bc16e5a_b.jpg

Hernando de Soto, Spanish conquistador and 1st European to discover the Mississippi River

Jane Addams, a founder of ACLU (Nobel 1973)

SOME FOLKS BORN ON THIS DATE:

y85bf.jpg

Harold Robbins, American author (Moneychangers, Carpetbaggers, Betsy)

Raymond Burr, Canadian-American actor (Perry Mason, Ironsides)

Ara Parseghian, American football player and coach (Northwestern, Notre Dame)

Ronald Isley, singer (Isley Brothers-Twist & Shout)

Leo Sayer, British singer (You Make Me Feel Like Dancing, When I Need Love)

Al Franken, former US politician, comedian, writer, actor

Mr. T, [Lawrence Tureaud], American actor (A-Team, Rocky III, T & T)

Nick Cassavetes, American actor and director (The Notebook)

Jeffrey Dahmer, American serial killer (Milwaukee Cannibal)

Ricky Williams, American College Football Hall of Fame running back (Heisman Trophy 1998, U of Texas; Pro Bowl 2002, Miami Dolphins

Gary Woodland, American golfer (US Open 2019)

TODAY’S @$$HOLE OF THE DAY:
1hh5qj.jpg

Birthday Boy Jeffrey Dahmer, American serial killer, is more than a worthy candidate, but he was beaten to death by a fellow inmate…….Poetic Justice, IYAM……….I’ll get him sometimes in the future…….

There’s another birthday today……Al Franken……

He’s handsome………

5568.jpg

He’s intelligent…….

GettyImages_92074002.0.jpg

He has high morals……….

fRANKENbOOK-243x300.jpg

He is a role model US Representative……..

d0584a-20080225-alfranken.jpg

Talk about a low-life, totally incompetent clown, there he is…….This idiot got elected in a controversial vote count, goes to Washington, openly advertises his ignorance, and you guessed it, resigned after several allegations of sexual misconduct were made against him……What a damn joke!!......If Al Franken is a US Representative, then I’m a space shuttle test pilot……He’s a stupid liberal sh!t qualified to act like a complete dumb @$$, nothing more…….

1f5c3903b87d032299b4368a4be5d022.jpeg

It gives me great pleasure on this your birthday, to anoint you Al Franken as the official @$$Hole of the Day……and you can KMA too!!............

As always my good Dawg friends, I hope y’all have a Great Bulldawg Day…..Stay Safe…..help MAGA…….and God Bless…….

cb08c0d7b0e7449f2273183a77e6186d.png

CGvndaVW8AEvI_o.png

Last edited:
chStUPMp.jpg

Good morning to all you truly good yet deplorable Dawgs…..I wish each of you good health……you’ll have to be in charge of the wealth and happiness part….Take care….

UGA SPORTS SPOTLIGHT:

I’m gonna mention a Dawg great in the UGA football spotlight section this morning, just to make sure at least something Dawg is mentioned today in this “DAWGChat” forum…Today the Georgia Bulldog in the spotlight is former Dawg Running Back Barry Young………..

Barry Young was born in 1962 and was raised in Swainsboro, GA …..Barry was an outstanding student-athlete and was named Most Athletic by his peers his senior year as a member of the graduating class of 1980 from Swainsboro High School…….He was a 6’2, 205 pound running back for the SHS Tigers in 1979. …..This great athlete “inked with Georgia” in 1979, and later signed a full grant-in-aid…….

Barry was recruited in the same class alongside Herschel Walker, a Georgia legend, who played his high school football just few minutes ride west of Swainsboro in Wightsville……Barry played in five games (his freshman season) backing up Herschel for the Bulldogs during their 1980 national championship season…..Young participated in all 11 regular season games in each of the next three seasons , while resting Walker along the way toward his 1982 Heisman Trophy. ……While Walker was playing professionally in 1983, Barry finished his senior season as the Bulldogs’ second-leading rusher with 502 rushing yards and four touchdowns…….The four year letterman ended his Georgia career rushing for 1,178 yards and eight touchdowns, and a nice 4.8 yards per carry average for his entire UGA career….. …..Kick in his receiving yards and one kickoff return, and Barry ended his UGA career with 1263 total yards……..

Young earned his Bachelor of Science in education in 1991……….He then completed his master’s degree from the Cambridge College of Boston, Mass. in 2002……..He worked in both Camden County and Emanuel County School Systems as a football, basketball and track coach, as well as an educator……Sadly Barry passed away in April, 2016 at the age of very young age of 53. Heis missed by all of Bulldawg Nation…….Barry Young was/is a DGD……….RIP Barry……..

SOME “STUFF YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED YOU DON”T KNOW” AND SOME “STUFF YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED YOU DO KNOW”……(by year/comments)

giphy.gif

image.jpg

1917 The Great Fire of Atlanta: at least 10,000 people were displaced, but there was only one fatality

1927 Aviator Charles Lindbergh, in the Spirit of St Louis, lands in Paris after the first solo air crossing of Atlantic

1932 After flying for 17 hours from Newfoundland, Amelia Earhart lands near Londonderry, Northern Ireland, becoming the 1st transatlantic solo flight by a woman

1936 Sada Abe is arrested after wandering the streets of Tokyo for days with her dead lover's severed genitals in her hand. Her story soon becomes one of Japan's most notorious scandals.

1941 SS Robin Moor becomes the first US ship sunk by a U-boat during World War II

RobinMoor_03.jpg

1968 Nuclear-powered sub USS Scorpion, with 99 men, reported missing & is later found at the bottom of the ocean off Azores

1969 Robert F. Kennedy's murderer Sirhan Sirhan sentenced to death, later commuted to life imprisonment

1969 After 9,015 at bats Hank Aaron is lifted for a pinch hitter, Mike Lum, who doubled in a 15-3 victory over NY Mets

1980 "Star Wars Episode V - Empire Strikes Back", produced by George Lucas opens in cinemas in UK and North America

1988 "Eighteen Wheels And A Dozen Roses" by Kathy Mattea hits #1 on the Country chart.

1996 "You're Makin' Me High" single released by Toni Braxton (Grammy Award Best Female R&B Vocal Performance 1997)

1998 In Miami, Florida, five abortion clinics are hit by a butyric acid attacker.

1999 All My Children star Susan Lucci finally wins a Daytime Emmy after being nominated 19 times, the longest period of unsuccessful nominations in television history

2003 38th Academy of Country Music Awards: Toby Keith, Martina McBride & Kenny Chesney are the big winners

2007 Cutty Sark, the last surviving tea clipper, is badly damaged by fire in Greenwich, England.

2016 On same card, American boxer Jermell Charlo KOs John Jackson in 8th to claim vacant WBC super welterweight title, and Jermall Charlo beats Austin Trout on points to retain IBF version; first twins to hold world championships in same weight division

2017 Barnum & Bailey Circus performs for the last time at the Nassau Coliseum in NYC after 146 years

2018 Teenager who started California's 2017 Eagle Creek Fire ordered to pay $36.6 million to cover damages by district judge

2018 Former US president Barack Obama and Michelle Obama sign deal with Netflix to produce films and series

2019 Nepalese Sherpa Kami Rita sets a new record for the number of climbs of Mt Everest - 24

Hernando de Soto, Spanish conquistador and 1st European to discover the Mississippi River

y85bf.jpg

Ricky Williams, American College Football Hall of Fame running back (Heisman Trophy 1998, U of Texas; Pro Bowl 2002, Miami Dolphins

1hh5qj.jpg

Birthday Boy Jeffrey Dahmer, American serial killer, is more than a worthy candidate, but he was beaten to death by a fellow inmate…….Poetic Justice, IYAM……….I’ll get him sometimes in the future…….

He’s handsome………

5568.jpg

He’s intelligent…….

He has high morals……….

fRANKENbOOK-243x300.jpg

Talk about a low-life, totally incompetent clown, there he is…….This idiot got elected in a controversial vote count, goes to Washington, openly advertises his ignorance, and you guessed it, resigned after several allegations of sexual misconduct were made against him……What a damn joke!!......If Al Franken is a US Representative, then I’m a space shuttle test pilot……He’s a stupid liberal sh!t qualified to act like a complete dumb @$$, nothing more…….

It gives me great pleasure on this your birthday, to anoint you Al Franken as the official @$$Hole of the Day……and you can KMA too!!............

As always my good Dawg friends, I hope y’all have a Great Bulldawg Day…..Stay Safe…..help MAGA…….and God Bless…….

CGvndaVW8AEvI_o.png

Thanks RCH. Barry was a very good DAWG and he will always be remembered for that senior season.. 65

chStUPMp.jpg

UGA SPORTS SPOTLIGHT:

Young earned his Bachelor of Science in education in 1991……….He then completed his master’s degree from the Cambridge College of Boston, Mass. in 2002……..He worked in both Camden County and Emanuel County School Systems as a football, basketball and track coach, as well as an educator……Sadly Barry passed away in April, 2016 at the age of very young age of 53. Heis missed by all of Bulldawg Nation…….Barry Young was/is a DGD……….RIP Barry……..

giphy.gif

image.jpg

RobinMoor_03.jpg

y85bf.jpg

1hh5qj.jpg

He’s handsome………

5568.jpg

He’s intelligent…….

He has high morals……….

fRANKENbOOK-243x300.jpg

CGvndaVW8AEvI_o.png
Thanks RCH. I remember Barry Young well. Hate to hear he died so young. I just turned 53 and I thought that was old as dirt when I was 20. I've changed my mind on that and I'm sure not ready to go yet. I doubt he was either. I got a little more living left to do, God willing. Appreciate your extensive posts.

Last edited:
chStUPMp.jpg

UGA SPORTS SPOTLIGHT:

Young earned his Bachelor of Science in education in 1991……….He then completed his master’s degree from the Cambridge College of Boston, Mass. in 2002……..He worked in both Camden County and Emanuel County School Systems as a football, basketball and track coach, as well as an educator……Sadly Barry passed away in April, 2016 at the very young age of 53........He's missed by all of Bulldawg Nation…….Barry Young was/is a DGD……….RIP Barry……..

giphy.gif

image.jpg

RobinMoor_03.jpg

y85bf.jpg

1hh5qj.jpg

He’s handsome………

5568.jpg

He’s intelligent…….

He has high morals……….

fRANKENbOOK-243x300.jpg

CGvndaVW8AEvI_o.png
Al Franken is seldom surpassed in his sheer level of assholery. He won his election by continuing to "recount votes" until he surpassed his opponent. Glad we got rid of him.

Why do I remember Barry as a fullback? Moose got dementia?

I believe Barry did arrive at UGA with the coaches intention to play him at fullback..........However, if you remember, Jimmy Womack, Ronnie Stewart, and Chris McCarthy were the blocking fullbacks for Herschel while Carnie Norris and Matt Simon backed up Herschel at RB.......My recollection is Barry started off as a fullback but played some tailback (and fullback) his later years......Nobody talks about them, but we had some quality depth behind Herschel, just not in the same category as #34........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT