ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Riding mower recs

Arsenal24

National Champion
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2015
Just bought a new house and wanting to get a new mower. I’d love some recommendations for best riding mower. Performance and value. Lot isn’t huge, around 3/4 acre, but the yard is a big part of it.

Thanks!

Reactions: PotimusWillie
Dad had an Exmark for a number of years, switched to a Walker which is a little different but been a great mower for us

Deere. My Z920M has cut 10 acres at a time, 4 or 5 times a year, and the lawn in front of the house weekly, for 6 years

Reactions: blackpug6
Really depends on budget. A good zero turn is going to start around $5k. If you’re looking more for value, I love my cub cadet xt2. It has been great and I have about the same amount of yard as you. My biggest recommendation is to avoid box box stores and go straight to the dealer (or authorized dealer). JD, cub cadet and other make specific models for big box stores and they’re shit compared to their regular line.

Just bought a new house and wanting to get a new mower. I’d love some recommendations for best riding mower. Performance and value. Lot isn’t huge, around 3/4 acre, but the yard is a big part of it.

Thanks!
I have a Gravely Z-34. Set me back $2500 with mulching kit added. I love the Kohler engine and so does the commercial outdoor shop from which I purchased it. They also sell Toro and other high-end units, but for my 1/2 half acre, the Gravely works great. If on the other hand you are looking at more functionality (tractor stuff), a zero turn may not be for you. Beware that zero turns can also easily mark your yard with tire ruts on turns if you are not careful.

Last edited:

Thanks!
We just researched it for my son who is in the same situation. We went for a zero turn from either toro or john deere depending upon pricing. Both for a 60" cut are around $4000.

I bought a Husqvarna commercial Zero turn w Kawasaki engine, I really wanted the ROPS which puts you in the commercial call automatically. Solid machine

Reactions: blackpug6
I second this. My yard is about the same size as yours. Just bought the 42” eXmark E-Series. The only thing I’m not a fan of is that it didn’t come with an hour meter so I would know when to change oil, service, etc.... I had to order it. But so far best decision I’ve made. Should’ve done it years ago.

Reactions: Boom MFer Dawg
Anyone have a stand on?

Lots of people swear by Bradley, and the pricing is very good.

Last edited:

Thanks!
For 3/4 of an acre, I would just get a decent standard riding mower. You dont need a commerical grade zero turn. It will take you less than 20 minutes to cut 3/4 of an acre. I would recommend that your mower have a Kawasaki engine. Those are superior to Kohler or Briggs and Stratton.

Dont get a Cub Cadet. I bought a 48in deck Z series Zero turn 3 years ago to cut my five acres (mostly flat with trees lining the edge of the property). That thing stays in the shop. The drive belt gets untracked all the time by pine cones and gumballs. I have heard good things about Bad Boys and Dixie Choppers, but they are expensive. My next mower will be a commercial grade ZT mower, that much I know.

Last edited:
Dad had an Exmark for a number of years, switched to a Walker which is a little different but been a great mower for us

Really pleased with my ex mark 60” zero turn.

I second this. My yard is about the same size as yours. Just bought the 42” eXmark E-Series. The only thing I’m not a fan of is that it didn’t come with an hour meter so I would know when to change oil, service, etc.... I had to order it. But so far best decision I’ve made. Should’ve done it years ago.
Yall are some big ballers. The commercial exmark with the smallest deck starts at 10K. F that noise.

Reactions: IIIput and Fed_Dawg
Just got a John Deere zero turn today (Z-345R). I have about an acre. Just finished cutting grass with it for first time. So far, so good. $2,800.

Thanks!
Shag no question is the best.

Hire a landscape company to cut and edge everything. Time you buy a mower, weed eater, edger, you can pay for a lot of cutting and not have to house the equipment, buy the fuel, keep them running, plus you won't have the wife supervising. Think about it.................you know I am right!!!

Anyone have any battery-charged suggestions? Thinking of going that route.

Thanks!
As a former owner of a landscape company, don't buy anything but Scag. My first ZTR was a 2000 model Tiger Cub. Retired it to home duty in 2008ish. 2300 hours later, purrs like a kitten. Operated quite a few others - ExMark, Ferris, John Deere, Kubota, Toro, Hustler, Grasshopper, Gravely, etc. - and Scag is a step above others. Kubota is close, but that's it IMO.

I would recommend a good used, well-maintained and serviced Scag over a new residential grade commercial mower. Lotta cheap metal and plastic in those.

Stay away from Craftsman. They are a good price but they are not dependable. I changed from Craftsman to Deere and am very happy with it.

Reactions: bdawg4
Really pleased with my ex mark 60” zero turn.
I had an ex mark for 10 yrs and always had problems with hydraulic leaks - guy finally told me at dealership ....we have this problem a lot - now that was a 2010 model that I finally traded last year - I just couldn’t get the leak to not eventually reappear

If your yard has slope, get a standard riding mower. I have 2 acres of lawn and would love a larger deck zero turn but slopes just don't work with them. I paid a lawn service my first year in the place and they left cut marks, bald spots and high spots every time. Takes me 1.5 hours on my standard JD which has required nothing in 4 years.

Reactions: 3 Pete

Thanks!
Hustler with a Honda engine.

2b1a345b2928704e7e1bdf84248bcd35.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT