ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Riding mower recs

For 3/4 of an acre, I would just get a decent standard riding mower. You dont need a commerical grade zero turn. It will take you less than 20 minutes to cut 3/4 of an acre. I would recommend that your mower have a Kawasaki engine. Those are superior to Kohler or Briggs and Stratton.

Dont get a Cub Cadet. I bought a 48in deck Z series Zero turn 3 years ago to cut my five acres (mostly flat with trees lining the edge of the property). That thing stays in the shop. The drive belt gets untracked all the time by pine cones and gumballs. I have heard good things about Bad Boys and Dixie Choppers, but they are expensive. My next mower will be a commercial grade ZT mower, that much I know.

Yep, get a decent rider, save about 2K and let the wife use the other 2K for decorating. I have 2 acres with about 1 landscaped and I can cut and trim in about 1 hr.

Gravely 42 ZT-X is what I have and I have been very happy with it. Made in USA. It has a fabricated deck and I think it might be the only brand along with Ariens in a 42 inch cut that has 3 blades. You don't need more than 42 unless you have a much larger yard or budget. Most of the Deeres in the same price range have either stamped decks or the frame/chassis is half of what the gravely is. Kawasaki or Kohler engine is a must as is something with a fabricated deck, not stamped. Good luck!

Reactions: Boom MFer Dawg
Just bought a new house and wanting to get a new mower. I’d love some recommendations for best riding mower. Performance and value. Lot isn’t huge, around 3/4 acre, but the yard is a big part of it.

Thanks!
You don't need a large mower deck especially if the yard has slope in it. If it's turf like Bermuda / Zoysia I suggest you have it leveled with sand before you do anything. Once that's done you can use almost anything with enough HP and I strongly advise you look at zero turn equipment. I use a commercial Skag, 19 horse Kawasaki, 3 blade 36" deck, but Exmark makes a good machine as well. Hustler used to be good a few years ago.

Reactions: Boom MFer Dawg
Yall are some big ballers. The commercial exmark with the smallest deck starts at 10K. F that noise.
Not even close. They were running a special and after taxes and fees, because I took them up on the 0% financing, I spent about $3,200. They do have some that are close to 10K, but for not even an acre you don’t need one of those.

Don’t be afraid to shop around. Avoid the big box stores like Home Depot and Lowe’s. Stick with somewhere that not only sales them but does service, those places have the higher quality ones with fabricated decks and better engines.

Find a reputable dealer that you want to do business with. Ask some landscapers in the area who they buy from. After finding the right shop, get a mower they sell.
i wanted a gravely or scag and the gravely dealer was better. I have enjoyed my gravely pt260.

Exmark Radius E Series w/ Kawasaki

I have an old Exmark Phazer with a 44" deck I bought in 2006 and it still runs great. I have 1 acre to cut.

Yall are some big ballers. The commercial exmark with the smallest deck starts at 10K. F that noise.
Ya I’ve got 8k in mine. It’s the step below the Lazer Z. Starting my second season with it. I have a lot of grass to cut and have been very pleased with it.....so far. In retrospect I prob spent too much but it has performed well so far.

I’m somewhat enamored with the idea of a robotic mower.
Husqvarna makes strong options here. If your yard is relatively flat, fast growing lawn, etc...this will keep your yard looking clean every day. It won't give you the row look though.

Reactions: HuntinDawg
Just bought a new house and wanting to get a new mower. I’d love some recommendations for best riding mower. Performance and value. Lot isn’t huge, around 3/4 acre, but the yard is a big part of it.

Thanks!

Get a Hasqvarna. Made in the US in SC and GA. Best service in the industry. Otherwise, enjoy the Chinese mower you get at the local hardware store.

Find a dealer that sells and services them. You will thank me later. You get trained servicemen who won’t hold you hostageYou will also like the price.

Light years better than John Deere mowers. John Deere isn’t the mower it was. And most John Deere mowers are made in China. Only some John Deere tractors are made in the US.

For the price, reliability, service and value, I would buy a Husqvarna every single time. We bought one and they are great.

Get a Hasqvarna. Made in the US in SC and GA. Best service in the industry. Otherwise, enjoy the Chinese mower you get at the local hardware store.

Find a dealer that sells and services them. You will thank me later. You get trained servicemen who won’t hold you hostageYou will also like the price.

Light years better than John Deere mowers. John Deere isn’t the mower it was. And most John Deere mowers are made in China. Only some John Deere tractors are made in the US.

For the price, reliability, service and value, I would buy a Husqvarna every single time. We bought one and they are great.
What about mowers powered by Honda?

Respectfully disagree. I have had 3 Dixon mowers. I'm pretty sure Dixon designed/built the first zero turn mowers and they were made in Kansas. The first two were extremely good to me. The deck designs were incredible. I decided to upgrade my deck size to 62" due to all the mowing I have to do. Bought a new Dixon which is now owned by Huskvarna. Big mistake. The new mower is not in the same league with the previous two in any regard, i.e., engine (cheaper Kohler), deck (big time downgrade), ride, hydraulics. I later discovered, after examining a Huskvarna at a farm supply store, that I had purchased the same mower painted blue for $1,000 more.

3202182abe7d5b3193ba17fb52a32e6b47a904fa0e732d7f3d5f4727e86d9536_1.jpg

Reactions: deadduckdawg
ADVERTISEMENT