ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Zell...

Former baseball coach at Young Harris College. Long time ago..

I can remember one of his governor campaign slogans...We’re going to have boot camps for first time drug offenders.

I met Zell at Governors Honors in 1978 and then did a government symposium with him the next year. He wrote one of my college recommendations. He was a very "real" person - unusual for most political figures - and it was a true pleasure to have known him.
Selling Georgians on Bill Clinton, rim. Rest in misery

Only reason I went to college was the HOPE.
^^^^^ this @fprex Zell Miller has done more to help Georgians than any governor I can remember. Between my wife and I we have 4 parents, with a grand total of 1 who went to college. Going to college was not simply a rite of passage for our families and I would not have been able to go with the full academic scholarship that HOPE provided 1998-2002.

^^^^^ this @fprex Zell Miller has done more to help Georgians than any governor I can remember. Between my wife and I we have 4 parents, with a grand total of 1 who went to college. Going to college was not simply a rite of passage for our families and I would not have been able to go with the full academic scholarship that HOPE provided 1998-2002.
I live near Zell and he was pretty accessible. The last time I spoke to him was during his last term as Senator, and I begged him to run again. Because of Zell, a huge number of Ga kids were able to go to college, that would never have been able to go! God bless him!

Exactly, Tivoli.

I was the first to graduate from college in my family and that meant the world to me. I was accepted to UGA a couple years running but couldn't attend due to finances...my parents just didn't have the money.

I finally went to UGA when Zell's HOPE program was instituted. Changed the whole direction of my life.

Hey, why does he get all the attention!? My comment was wayyy more brash!!!
I probably quickly passed it by...just can't understand why we can't abide by board rules.

I probably quickly passed it by...just can't understand why we can't abide by board rules.

Is saying pussy against board rules? (honest question, I don't know)

I suppose I could do the whole "p****" thing, but what's the point?

When I type "p****" every single person who reads it thinks "pussy". So.. why not just type it?

Reactions: JJF84 and LesDawg
Idiots like you get threads like this locked.
Like name calling? Surely you can do better. BTW I deleted the post because I DO try to follow the rules. When discussing a man who in his lifetime was elected Mayor, State Representative, State Senator, Lt Governor, Governor, and US Senator, its kinda hard to leave out politics!

Last edited:
Zell was cool back in the day. He got a little crusty with age,though. As I suspect we all do.
That is too true. I met Zell and George Busbee at the same time (back when Zell was Busbee's Lt. Governor) and I considered Zell decidedly more interesting and formidable than Busbee. Busbee was a supremely nice guy, but Zell had this air of good natured combativeness that I found compelling...and cool.

If it weren't for the financial benefits of the HOPE Scholarship I would almost surely have gone out of state to college (and had some very attractive options in that regard). One of the best decisions I have ever made was to stay in Athens and attend UGA. Can't imagine what my life would be like right now if I'd chosen differently, but I wouldn't take it over what I have going now. Thanks, Zell, and rest in peace!

Reactions: TivoliDawg
If it weren't for the financial benefits of the HOPE Scholarship I would almost surely have gone out of state to college (and had some very attractive options in that regard). One of the best decisions I have ever made was to stay in Athens and attend UGA. Can't imagine what my life would be like right now if I'd chosen differently, but I wouldn't take it over what I have going now. Thanks, Zell, and rest in peace!

You must be really smart!

I live near Zell and he was pretty accessible. The last time I spoke to him was during his last term as Senator, and I begged him to run again. Because of Zell, a huge number of Ga kids were able to go to college, that would never have been able to go! God bless him!

Exactly, I live less than a mile from Zell here in Young Harris. He did some great things for this state and yes sometimes he missed the boat. He loved this state though and took care of the North Georgia Mountains!

His misery is over now, he's been ill for quite some time, RIP indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT