WRDefenderDog

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2009
North Augusta, SC
UGA Men’s Basketball

Red & Black: Georgia men's basketball changing the culture of the team

Recruiting

UGA Unofficial Visits This Weekend: (2) indicates second unofficial visit this fall

2024 PG Elijah Crawford (2) 6-2 Legacy Early College (From Augusta)

2024 SF Derrion Reid (2) 6-6 Grovetown HS

DMAC'S DOZEN: DERRION REID

Here's was DMac had to say about the versatile guard:

“Derrion is another prospect that took a big step in his development this year and added tons of scholarship offers along the way. He’s a really unique prospect with his ability to play any position on the court right now on both ends at 6’7. He’s one of the best passers I saw this year. He’s a talented scorer too, but can make a big impact on the game without being a leading scorer. He has a really bright future.”

2024 SF Chase McCarty (2) 6-6 Huntsville, AL Atlanta Express (UGA offer 4-25-22)

2024 SF Ace Bailey 6-9 McEachern HS

2024 C Cole Kirouac 6-10 North Forsyth HS Atlanta Express (UGA offer 7-09-22)

SEC Basketball

SB Nation: The 2022-23 SEC Basketball Preview

“No. 12: Georgia Bulldogs
Rock M Projection: 15-16, 5-13 SEC | KenPom: 14-16, 5-13 SEC | Media: 13th | Average: 13.13
Quick Take: Coach Mike White was perfectly adequate at Florida, winning 62 percent of his games and never finishing below .500 in the SEC. But when you follow Billy Donovan, that can appear underwhelming. So rather than waiting for his seat to warm, he jumped to rival Georgia. We can debate the logic of his decision, but White quietly improved a roster that was a federal disaster area. Combo guard Kario Oquendo isn’t always efficient, but he’s one of the SEC’s better returners. Jabri Abdur-Rahim, a former top-50 talent, could take a step forward if his finishing at the rim improves. And Braelen Bridges is a reliable post threat. More importantly, White upgraded athleticism across the roster. Terry Roberts is a dynamic combo guard and All-Missouri Valley player from Bradley. Justin Hill piloted a Big South champ at Longwood. And Madrez McBride was an undersized sniper at North Texas. Meanwhile, several high-major players — Jusaun Holt, Frank Anselem, and Matthew Alexander-Moncrieffe — could also serve as valuable depth pieces. If the blend is right, UGA could defy expectations. But at a minimum, this roster should keep the Dawgs out of the cellar.”

Read the Georgia Preview

College Basketball

Drake
Des Moines Register: Drake basketball exhibition shows Bulldogs are plagued with injuries

Kent State.
Record Courier: Kent State basketball primed for title run behind veteran backcourt

Michigan
Detroit Free Press: Jett Howard soars as Michigan basketball runs to 88-75 exhibition win over Ferris State

St. Joseph’s (2022 Opponent)
Brown Paces Men's Basketball Past Widener In Exhibition Win, 92-80.

USC
Orange County Register: USC basketball’s Drew Peterson back after his one almost-shining moment

NBA

Walker Nola.com: NBA owes it to its fans to find a remedy for load management issues

“This was the second game in back-to-back days for the Warriors, who lost to the Orlando Magic on Thursday. This was also the fourth game on their road trip, which is why Steve Kerr decided to sit the four starters who collectively have appeared in 18 All-Star Games and account for an average of 72.3 points per game…”

Charlotte
Charlotte Observer: Hornets fall hard in Memphis. How close are LaMelo and Terry Rozier to returning?

Golden State

Milwaukee
AP: Giannis Antetokounmpo's triple-double leads unbeaten Bucks over Timberwolves

Minnesota

History

Hoops Birthdays 11-05

Jordan Bone PG Tennessee DET, ORL 2019-2021 11-05-1997 25 YOA

Rod Freeman SF Vanderbilt PHI 1973-1974 11-05-1950 72 YOA

Vanderbilt: “High in demand, Rod Freeman was drafted by the NFL, NBA and ABA

Former Vanderbilt basketball player Rod Freeman (1971-73) is the only Commodore to be drafted by the NFL, NBA and ABA. The New York Giants (seventh round), Philadelphia 76ers (11th round) and Memphis Tams (eighth round) selected him in 1973. Freeman might have been drafted a fourth time. A high lottery number prevented Freeman from being drafted again this time by the U.S. Army for the Vietnam War.
“I actually signed for more money in football than I did in basketball,” Freeman said recently. “I negotiated the contract myself. I was able to work a contact where I would avoid waivers. I had been offered a contract in basketball, but had not signed anything with Philadelphia. I thought I would get more money out of basketball, but that didn’t work.
“I got a signing bonus from the Giants and was to get another bonus if I made the opening day roster. They were going to a two-tight end set that year. I weighed about 225 pounds and the other players were much bigger. We were in pads one day and I thought to myself that I really wanted to play basketball. That if I didn’t buckle down and concentrate and play football I’m either going to get hurt or get somebody else hurt. I went to the coach at the time, who was Alex Webster.
“I told him they had been great to me, but my heart wants to play basketball. I’m from Indiana and that’s what I’m going to do. In my dorm room Webster and the team owner, Wellington Mara, came by to talk me into staying. I felt guilty about it so I gave back the bonus money. I didn’t have any strings attached. I thanked them and walked out of camp and to Philadelphia.”

Trey Lyles PF Kentucky UT, DEN, SA, DET. SAC 2015-present 11-05-1995 27 YOA

Ian Mahinmi C France SA, DAL, IND, WAS 2007-2020 11-05-1986 36 YOA

OJ Mayo SG USC MEM, DAL, MIL 2008-2016 11-05-1987 35 YOA

Theo Pinson SG North Carolina BRK, NYK, DAL 2018-present 11-05-1995 27 YOA

Jerry Stackhouse SG North Carolina PHI, DET, WAS, DAL, MIL, MIA, ATL, BRK 1995-2013 11-05-1974 48 YOA

HOF Bill Walton C UCLA POR, SD, LAC, BOS 1974-1987 11-05-1952 70 YOA

“ Bill Walton was one of the greatest college basketball players in history. The team leader on defense, Walton was a superb rebounder and outlet passer to start the fast break. Offensively, Walton developed a deadly jump hook that he shot with either hand. Above all, the big redhead set the tone for his teammates. He was all business on the court and his success is well-chronicled. Walton was an outstanding student-athlete at UCLA where he led the Bruins to two national championships and an 88-game winning streak. In the 1973 national championship game, Walton scored 44 points on 21 of 22 shooting. His deft passing, shooting, jumping, and running skills helped the Portland Trail Blazers to the 1977 NBA championship. He was the NBA’s Most Valuable Player the following year and made the All-NBA First Team. Although chronic foot and knee injuries prohibited Walton from enjoying an extended professional career, he still managed to capture one more NBA championship in 1986 with the Boston Celtics.”

Mark West C Old Dominion DAL, MIL, CLE, PHO, DET, IND, ATL 1983-2000 11-05-1960 62 YOA

Last edited:
This is premium content. Please subscribe to view.

Last edited:
This is premium content. Please subscribe to view.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News