ADVERTISEMENT

School Shooting at my daughters school the morning.

claydawg99

Hunters Hunt!
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2007
It’s a crazy world we live in folks mental patient just released form the hospital jumped the fence and tried to grab a female cops gun as the buses were dropping off the kids. She managed to get away and shoot the perpetrator on the leg.

Code red went out on phone alerts and school went on lockdown. Eventually go to my daughter whom had just stepped off a bus to enter school and was shielded by all the officers.

Hug your kids folks none of us are immune to it

It’s a crazy world we live in folks mental patient just released form the hospital jumped the fence and tried to grab a female cops gun as the buses were dropping off the kids. She managed to get away and shoot the perpetrator on the leg.

Code red went out on phone alerts and school went on lockdown. Eventually go to my daughter whom had just stepped off a bus to enter school and was shielded by all the officers.

Riveria Beach??

Reactions: Athens is Heaven

I wouldn’t really call that a school shooting but I’m sure it was scary and I’m glad it turned out about as well as it possibly could.

I wouldn’t really call that a school shooting but I’m sure it was scary and I’m glad it turned out about as well as it possibly could.
Well anytime a cop opens fire on school grounds you can call it what you will. The fact is 100’s of students witnessed it and are traumatized by it. So the adverse effect is still the same. I know my daughter doesn’t want to go back to school right now.

Well anytime a cop opens fire on school grounds you can call it what you will. The fact is 100’s of students witnessed it and are traumatized by it. So the adverse effect is still the same. I know my daughter doesn’t want to go back to school right now.
I’m not trying to minimize any trauma. However when people read “school shooting” we think of a bad actor shooting innocent people at a school. Instead they apparently had a deranged but (thankfully) unarmed person assault the school resource officer and she successfully defended herself by discharging her firearm into the assailant. That’s (thankfully) very different from what I expected when I clicked on your post.

I’m not trying to minimize any trauma. However when people read “school shooting” we think of a bad actor shooting innocent people at a school. Instead they apparently had a deranged but (thankfully) unarmed person assault the school resource officer and she successfully defended herself by discharging her firearm into the assailant. That’s (thankfully) very different from what I expected when I clicked on your post.
The fact that a officer shot a guy that was trying to take her gun at drop off is sure splitting hairs if you call it a "school shooting" or not....That would have been chaos at many schools...

Concur…..glad your daughters okay and others were not injured.

The fact that an officer shot a guy that was trying to take her gun at drop off is sure splitting hairs if you call it a "school shooting" or not....That would have been chaos at many schools...
Ok.

I thought the difference is who is doing the shooting and who is getting shot.

Basically it was an unarmed assault based on the description given here. It obviously could have gone very differently if he had succeeded in gaining control of her weapon.

It's a messed up world. Glad your girl is ok.

Ok.

I thought the difference is who is doing the shooting and who is getting shot.

Basically it was an unarmed assault based on the description given here. It obviously could have gone very differently if he had succeeded in gaining control of her weapon.
Absolutely from what we understand and not verified yet was he assaulted the cop and tried to get her gun and she was able to fend him off and shoot him in the leg. No one will ever get very far on her campus however there is heavy police presence at all times mainly because it’s a magnet school that they protect heavily

Our school is on lockdown as we speak. No one but teachers or students in or out. Some high school kid was found having notes basically saying he wanted to "shoot up the rich kids at" our school and there was a whole group planning it. They have the kid but he isnt talking, yet, so we have security guards and off duty police there until the end of the school year.

Stop - No matter the circumstances, it was a school shooting that caused a tremendous amount of fear, chaos, concern, kids and parents very scared. I am sure you meant well. But maybe not the best or appropriate time to minimize or explain away what a school shooting is.

Reactions: claydawg99

So glad your daughter is OK. And the rest of the students. KUDOS to the officer for saving lives. I have been in education for 40+ years... and now writing this from my campus location. Prayers for all!

Stop - No matter the circumstances, it was a school shooting that caused a tremendous amount of fear, chaos, concern, kids and parents very scared. I am sure you meant well. But maybe not the best or appropriate time to minimize or explain away what a school shooting is.
I’m not minimizing anything. And I’m not explaining anything away. It was apparently traumatizing. I have no issue with that description. It was likely chaotic. It was an (apparently unarmed) assault on a law enforcement officer at a school. All of that is very serious. If a news outlet wanted to depict the officer’s lawful discharge of her weapon on an unarmed assailant as a “school shooting” then that would be a laughable attempt at politicizing.

You know damn good and well that it wasn’t what any of us expected (thankfully) when we clicked on the thread.

EDIT: My wife is a school teacher and I have one daughter in a public high school and another at a public university so it isn’t like the thought of a school shooting doesn’t concern me.

I’m not minimizing anything. And I’m not explaining anything away. It was apparently traumatizing. I have no issue with that description. It was likely chaotic. It was an (apparently unarmed) assault on a law enforcement officer at a school. All of that is very serious. If a news outlet wanted to depict the officer’s lawful discharge of her weapon on an unarmed assailant as a “school shooting” then that would be a laughable attempt at politicizing.

You know damn good and well that it wasn’t what any of us expected (thankfully) when we clicked on the thread.

EDIT: My wife is a school teacher and I have one daughter in a public high school and another at a public university so it isn’t like the thought of a school shooting doesn’t concern me.
I get what you are saying most of the times kids are the victims. Thankfully the campus has 8-10 cops on duty all day and this female officer was able to fend off the assailant whom tried to take her gun. He was literally feet away from the bus loop line and could have opened fire before being taken down himself. Any other high school would not have been as lucky but because it’s the Prime Jewel of schools in Florida they protect it about as as you can.

I get what you are saying most of the times kids are the victims. Thankfully the campus has 8-10 cops on duty all day and this female officer was able to fend off the assailant whom tried to take her gun. He was literally feet away from the bus loop line and could have opened fire before being taken down himself. Any other high school would not have been as lucky but because it’s the Prime Jewel of schools in Florida they protect it about as as you can.
I'm glad your daughter's school is well protected and I'm glad nobody was injured except the deranged assailant.

As I mentioned, my wife is a teacher. Back when my kids were in elementary school, my whole world was basically in that one building all day long. That's a bit of a vulnerable feeling just knowing that if something happened there (fire, tornado, violent attack), that was my whole world in that one building. School shootings are something to which I've given a great deal of thought. I have my own opinions about the things that could be done to greatly reduce school shootings. In my opinion, we have to make them "harder targets." One of the obvious options for making them harder targets is obviously a greater police presence. It is an expensive option but I have no doubt as to the efficacy. I say that with the full knowledge that many times the "school resource officer" as they are called here, is working in a school because the department doesn't know where else to put that officer. Not always, but in many instances. Still, it is a deterrent and obviously not just a symbolic one.

I'm glad your daughter's school is well protected and I'm glad nobody was injured except the deranged assailant.

As I mentioned, my wife is a teacher. Back when my kids were in elementary school, my whole world was basically in that one building all day long. That's a bit of a vulnerable feeling just knowing that if something happened there (fire, tornado, violent attack), that was my whole world in that one building. School shootings are something to which I've given a great deal of thought. I have my own opinions about the things that could be done to greatly reduce school shootings. In my opinion, we have to make them "harder targets." One of the obvious options for making them harder targets is obviously a greater police presence. It is an expensive option but I have no doubt as to the efficacy. I say that with the full knowledge that many times the "school resource officer" as they are called here, is working in a school because the department doesn't know where else to put that officer. Not always, but in many instances. Still, it is a deterrent and obviously not just a symbolic one.
Palm Beach County has Metal detectors in all of their schools and only one way in to the courtyard in my daughter’s school. Because of it being a Magnet School there are 4-6 officers on campus at all times. Today was just one of those days where things happen. The fact that it did happen goes to show that if it can happen at her school it can happen anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT