ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Note Scrimmage notes -- UPDATE - MORE NOTES ADDED

Radi Nabulsi

Publisher
Staff
Nov 17, 2003
After asking around to the lucky few folks who got to watch today's scrimmage, here is what we have learned:

- All the kicking and punting was done at full speed, but without tackling. With Jared Zirkel gone, Peyton Woodring kicked off. They went into the end zone. That has to make Kirby happy as he hates giving a team a chance to return.
Aussie punter Brett Thorson was booming his punts. I guess he has to make up for lack of game action.

Anthony Evans III was the primary returner. He showed why today as he is really quick.

Carson Beck was described as very poised and in control. He just seems like a different guy this year. Or just a lot more relaxed.

All of the running backs got a lot of work except for Trevor Etienne. The Florida transfer was arrested last weekend and got no reps in this scrimmage. Rod Robinson and freshman tailback Chauncey Bowens were strong between the tackles. Robinson is 6-foot, 240 lbs and Bowens is 5-11, 225 lbs. We mentioned they looked good during the open observation periods, but that was in shorts. I guess they also look good in pads versus the defense.

I asked about the newcomers. I was told these guys are hard to miss.
  • Five-star cornerback Ellis Robinson was named first.
  • Five-star safety KJ Bolden was also mentioned right away. I am still marveling that Georgia landed the No. 1 safety and No. 1 cornerback in the nation.
  • Six-foot-three linebacker Chris Cole turned heads. The freshman is the nation's No. 2 inside linebacker.
  • Quintavious Johnson was also mentioned. No shock he stood out. That kid is a monster. A defensive end who is swift-footed enough to play quarterback?
  • Offensive lineman Daniel Calhoun also stood out. at 6-6, 350 pounds, he will catch your attention. But it isn't just he size we keep hearing about.

We already mentioned Ryan Puglisi was on a bike, taking care to not stress his sore knee.

Overall, it wasn't a sloppy day for their first scrimmage. Kirby usually complains about the first one. But for the most part the tackling was good considering it was the first time they could tackle full speed.

UPDATE - Another set of notes

Need to add Justin Williams to the list of players who stood out. The nation's No. 1 inside linebacker is going to be a good problem.

Arian Smith and Dillon Bell caught some deep shots.

The offense dominated the scrimmage but the defense dominated the third-down situation work. The offense looked better than the defense all day.

Gunner Stockton was not as sharp today as he had been.

The wideouts looked good, especially Arian Smith, Anthony Evans and Dillon Bell.

Carson Beck looked very poised - he threw it well and moved around in the pocket well.

The Offensive line looked very good but not so much when it came to pass rush.

The punter and placekicker were both excellent.

There weren't many penalties overall and the tackling in space was good.

Julian Humphrey, Daniel Harris and Ellis Robinson looked good at defensive back.

The transfer wide receivers didn't do much today. They tried Colbie Young at kick returner but he didn't look nearly as good as Evans who is clearly the front-runner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News