ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Emerson on Bobo/Beck

crf3rd

Serpent Deflector
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2018
North Carolina
Maybe this has been posted, but here's a take by Seth Emerson on the play-calling against Kentucky.

I'm kind of wait-and-see on Bobo, and I do think the buck stops with him in this offensive gameplan. But Emerson puts some of the running into stacked boxes on Beck and gives a good example. Of course, I realize that posting this may draw the "facts don't matter Bobo haters" in here and Bobo outrage will ensue, but I think Emerson's is a take worth noting:

"There was too much running into stacked boxes by the Bulldogs, which often is not on the play call but the quarterback: Carson Beck can check into a pass or pull the ball and throw a quick screen. We don’t live in a world anymore where the offensive coordinator just calls the plays and the players run them. This is the world of run-pass options and checks at the line.

An example: On second-and-10 late in the first quarter, Kentucky had seven defenders in the box against a six-man Georgia line. Beck handed the ball to Branson Robinson, who ran into a wall and got 2 yards. Dominic Lovett stayed at the line on the snap, with Dillon Bell in front of him as if to block, evidently because the play called for a screen to Lovett if Beck chose to throw the ball, which he should have done." (https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5771844/2024/09/17/georgia-football-kentucky-2024-analysis/)

Lit my match in the matchbook for the day. Hope y'all have a good one!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.