ADVERTISEMENT

Sheesh. Woman in our office paid $399 for an aluminum bat...

Koogan

War Daddy
Nov 30, 2001
...for her 10 year old kid. I had no idea bats cost that much. Last bat I bought, for myself about 40 years ago, probably cost $20. I don't see how most parents can afford to have their kids play organized sports.

Lot of my parents from our travel team do that...

but for my kids I buy last years model at a huge discount most of the way through the year.
Competitive baseball is an expensive sport. My son is 12 and last year he wanted an A2000 DP15
infield glove(for SS) and I told him he had to buy it himself. We usually check all over the net for used
gloves and equipment before buying.
Tell that lady she's a lunatic to buy brand new.
Also tell her to go to justbats.com and look first if she HAS to have new.

Meh, I think you can get them for $50 or so at Dick's, of course...

you can always pay more if you want to.

Coach always had a bag of old bats, just grab one and get up to bat*

We are raising a generation of poosies.

Over $500 for BBCOR high school bats.

It's a racket. Last year bats are sold at significant discounts.

softball. Sheesh. I do coach a bad ass 18u rec team.

Loaded with kids that burned out on high school and high level travel. Fun to watch them hit. Not fun to throw BP. The ball flies off the bat. Scary.

This post was edited on 3/9 3:37 PM by shadrach

LL and rec baseball is a cut throat world, I can't tell you how many...

grown men I have seen become bitter enemies over 11-15 yr old boys playing baseball. There is a guy here who probably makes close to $100k a year giving private lessons in hitting and pitching to kids. He tells every dad the same thing; "...he's got talent, he could go a long ways but he needs some work to really make it...". One guy I know (and can't stand) actually paid $25,000 to have his son's middle school baseball field's infield dug up, irrigated and sodded so they could have a nice grass infield to play on so his kid could get ready for college level play. His son was average and didn't even make the high school team.

When I think about the foolishness around kids baseball, I'm glad I have a daughter.

Yep, insane price these days!

Still remember when Easton's Black Magic came out and we all wanted to get one back in the day!

48.jpg

Reactions: LedZep in the WP
Originally posted by Koogan:
...for her 10 year old kid. I had no idea bats cost that much. Last bat I bought, for myself about 40 years ago, probably cost $20. I don't see how most parents can afford to have their kids play organized sports.
How much was gas 40 years ago?

Re: softball. Sheesh. I do coach a bad ass 18u rec team.

You need to get yourself an L-Screen or you gonna get yourself killed. Only takes 1 shot, imo!

about 50c per gallon but I don't know what that has to do with..

the price of baseball bats for 10 year old kids. 40 years ago, you could eat a burger, fries and small coke at McDs for about $1. I guess that is just as relevant.

Re: Lot of my parents from our travel team do that...

All kids sports have transitioned from hobbies to fulltime careers for way too many adults. My daughter was advancing in gymnastixs very fast and next thing you know they are wanting an eight year old to pratice 20hrs a week and skip multiple days of school in order to compete. Between all the travel teams and that gymnastics crap we went through I have really soured on kids sports.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I was to man enough to get one at first

always thinking I still had skills and caught a couple of rockets and realized that I was too damn old to fool around like that!

Remember those times from buying gear for my daughters softball playing. 20 years ago, bats were about 125 range then, she had a kangaroo skin glove, lighter and softer that was about that, but used it for years, even into adulthood.

Gymnastics was awful! Glad mine flamed out early....Most parents

think their kid is the next GymDog. Funny thing is you could sink about half that jack you spend on gymnastics/travel/food/clothes, etc from age 6-18 you could easily put a kid thru college on your own dime-plus have a bunch more family time. And to top it off, once they finish high school-or maybe college if they are lucky-that's it. Golf, tennis, softball you can do all your life.

Mizuno Power Close gloves for youth players/parents...

..best glove tool for the job trying to help the kid, help the team win and keeps it real for the parents. Amazing the stuff kids come out there with...both ends of the spectrum.

Been there done that. Embarrassingly misfielding any ball...it ain't gonna be on the glove!

This post was edited on 3/9 9:01 PM by JimBfishN

No 10 year old should be using a $399 bat. The usage of that bat is

limited as the player will grow out of it .

Also, the inherent advantage of the alloy and shell width is extremely limited at that age. No matter what the bat manufacturers tell you.

Saying that, you will still spend $100 bucks.

We don't recommend individual bats at the premium cost until they are at least 13 or 14 and under.

Ego and parental sense of obligation is what pays $399 for a ten year old's bat.

Coached travel ball all over the SE and coach high school ball now. We are sold the need by the bat companies.

It really is ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT