ADVERTISEMENT

NEW STORY Soccer team ties No. 7 Pitt to open season

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
  • Graduate forward Margie Detrizio led the Bulldog attack with three shots taken on the night, putting two on frame. Sophomore midfielder Summer Denigan and graduate forward Hannah White followed suit with two shots each while freshman forward Sophia Brelage and graduate midfielders Dasia Tolbert and Nicole Vernis each recorded one shot on the night.
  • Junior goalkeeper Jordan Brown recorded her 12th-career solo shutout, fielding five saves on the night.
  • Despite a heavy Pittsburgh attack in the second half, the Georgia backline fended off 11 shots and six Pittsburgh corner kicks in the second half.
  • Freshman forward Sophia Brelage made her collegiate debut, clocking in 29 minutes and one shot taken as a substitute.
  • Senior midfielder Ellie Gilbert and graduate midfielder Dasia Torbert both returned to action for the first appearances after recovering from injuries sustained in previous seasons.

Post-Match Quotes:

Head Coach Keidane McAlpine

On his overall thoughts post-match…

"It was an opening night. Not perfect. Not terrible. I thought two really good teams came out, and we duked it out for 90 minutes. It's probably a fair result in the end. We probably deserved one off our misses. They probably deserved one that we saved or blocked, so decent in that aspect. I'll take an early result like that against a quality opponent like that. From an execution standpoint, some of the moments that we wish we had, that we created when we got into nice spaces, our build-up got to the spot - we have to execute. We're old enough now to know how to do that, and we have to be better."

On the team’s defensive play…

"This was a very difficult game schematically for what they were doing. They challenged us in ways that we haven't seen in a while. It was a great test for all of our backline, and even our holding mids to try and figure that out. I that as the game went on, it got better, and less moments were shown directly against us. JB (Jordan Brown) is legit. Her hands showed it. She was solid tonight. She put herself in great places. She eliminated issues before they happened, but we got a lot of good blocks in front of goal - good structure. When we came back, we got a lot of people in there. I thought that part, all in all, was really spot on."

1 | Jordan Brown | Jr. | GK

On the shutout...

"I was cramping a little, but it was the first game back so kind of getting in the groove. It felt good, I feel like I helped the team, did what I could, I think it was a good performance."

22 | Cate Hardin | Jr. | D

On the team’s second half adjustments…

“The second half we came out way stronger. Defensively, they were coming down on us pretty hard the whole game. So, second half, we made a few adjustments and we really bounced back from that. We held down and got a shut out.”

Next Up

The Bulldogs’ next match will see them go on the road when they face No. 8 North Carolina on Thursday, Aug. 22 at 5 p.m. EDT. The match will be streamed on ACC Network Extra.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.