ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Some great athletes are hard to root for. Prime example: Novak Djokovic....

kckd

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2001
He thinks they were booing him because they elongated the pronunciation of his opponent's name.

During his on-court postmatch interview, Djokovic spoke briefly about the match then veered into a discussion about the people in the stands.

"To all the fans that have respect and that stayed here tonight: Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart. I appreciate it. And to all those people that have chosen to disrespect the player -- in this case, me -- have a goooood night. Gooooood night. Gooooood night. Very gooooood night," he said, stretching out the O's in "good" so they sounded like "boo."

The interviewer tried to dissuade Djokovic from thinking anyone was trying to taunt him.

"They were. They were. They were. I don't accept it. I know they were cheering for Rune. But that's an excuse to also boo," Djokovic said. "Listen, I've been on the tour for more than 20 years. So, trust me, I know all the tricks. I know how it works. It's fine. It's fine. It's OK. I focus on the respectful people, that have respect, that paid [for] a ticket to watch tonight -- and love tennis. And love tennis. And appreciate the players and the effort that the players put in here."

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_...-djokovic-blasts-disrespect-centre-court-fans

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.