ADVERTISEMENT

Some things don't change much. The 1970 UK team was #1

elevator

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2001
in the AP and UPI polls, virtually the only ones, all year long. They were still #1 after the season even though UCLA won the NCAA title.

They certainly weren't as physically intimidating as this team, but they went 26-2 during the regular season and 17-1 in the sec, with a lone loss to Vandy. They averaged 96.8 ppg, different era I know, but ran on every possession. No player on UK today is, or will be as good as Dan Issell. He was a consensus all-American about his entire career. They also had another guy whjo made some all-American teams, Mike Pratt, who played in the ABA, and Mike Steele, who went on to play on Portland's NBA champions.

They rolled into Athens undefeated and I can tell you we were chomping at the bit to get at them. We were in the top 25 briefly that year and were damn good, although our record wasn't....a lot of very close losses. Except for a terrible foul call late in the game, by a ref, who I swear blew his whistle to call a charge on Mike Pratt, but looked over at Adolph Rupp ( who pretty much ran the sec), who shook his head, we would have won. I believe the final was 73-72.

I guess my point is, I hope our guys see this as an opportunity to take it to the Big Blue and their obnoxious fans. I am looking forward to it for sure. And if you don't believe me about the call, go by the broadcaster's table before the game. Mike Pratt does their color, ask him if he didn't charge Cauthen Westbrook and check his reaction.
This post was edited on 3/3 8:39 AM by elevator

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News