ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts from last night's game...

Dan McDonald

War Daddy
Staff
May 19, 2008
Kennesaw, Georgia
First of all, it can't be over-stated how incredible the crowd was last night. Best atmosphere I've ever seen for a game at Stegeman Coliseum. There weren't any bigger name recruits there that I'm aware of, but there were some younger prospects there with their AAU coaches, and they were all blown away. FWIW, Jaylen Brown did not make it to the game, but a person very close to him was there. That can't hurt.That Kentucky team is right there with the best team I've seen in person. They remind me a lot of Florida's back to back title teams with the their length in the front-court. They make it so tough to get a good shot off because along with being so long and athletic, Calipari has them playing hard and together on defense. That, IMO, is why UGA shot so poorly from 3-point range.Missed free throws down the stretch and a few 2nd chance baskets were the difference in the game, IMO. However, the turning point in the game was when UGA was up 62-56 with about 5 minutes left. Mann drove into the paint (looked like from where I was sitting it could have been a foul, but couldn't really tell), turns the ball over, Kentucky comes down for a 3-point play. That was a huge 5 -point swing and I think that's what caused UGA's players to start playing tight down the stretch. On that last part, I waited around for a minute after the game to talk to some of the players. They were obviously disappointed they couldn't close them out, but they were all very appreciative of the fan support. A couple of them mentioned to me how tough it was to get a good look on a shot and they all commented on how battle tested Kentucky is in games like that. You could tell that the Harrisons and Booker were calm as could be in hostile environment going to the line to knock down FT's. Meanwhile, UGA's players were a wreck mentally. Seen it posted on here a bunch, but I'd like to add that I thought the UGA staff did an awesome job last night. Loved the game plan. Loved the zone defense. Saw some new wrinkles on offense and executed about as well they could have against that team. There were TONS of former players at the game last night. Among those I saw: Ezra Williams, Jarvis Hayes, Jeremy Price, Sherrard Brantley, Litterial Green, Lamar Heard and many others I didn't recognize. I happened to be sitting next to Ezra and he said that was one of the better atmosphere he's seen at Stegeman. Said he still comes back to watch the Dawgs a few times every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.