ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on yesterday’s loss

CoastalVADawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2019
There is no sugar coating yesterday’s loss. Georgia did a lot of bad things yesterday to shoot themselves in the foot. But give the Florida pitchers credit for pitching a good game. They really kept Georgia’s bats quiet. I hate it for Finley the because he once again showed his endurance and pitched another brilliant game.

But make no mistake - Georgia made some critical mistakes that cost them the game:

**It all started with Henry Hunter losing his cool and getting ejected. I understand being pissed about a very bad call by the home plate ump (which I don’t get why that could not have been reviewed - someone explain that to me). But you have to just keep your mouth shut and let the coaches do the arguing. That was a selfish mistake on Hunter’s part.

**I was very puzzled by the decision to put Jordan in as catcher, being he has yet to play that position in SEC play. In fact I don’t know when was the last time he played catcher. I get giving Gonzo rest and perhaps that is why Jordan was suited up, but catcher is the most important position on the field and there is a lot to play for this series. And of course Jordan later made a critical error on a bad throw to 1B and had some bad at bats that forced Johnson to put Gonzo into the game anyway.

**Chadwick made a tremendous catch at the fence to rob Florida of a HR. But then he misplayed a routine grounder that turned a single into a double. That runner would eventually score.

**I don’t know whose fault it was on that botched double play that should have been pretty routine. But communication and knowing who does what in those situations should be automatic at this point. I believe that error also led to a run.

** I’m not sure what is up with Zeldin. But his last few outings have been less than stellar, giving up several costly dingers. I get nervous when he pitches. He gave up 6 runs yesterday after Finley’s brilliant outing.

**The middle of Georgia’s lineup had a rough day at the plate. I feel like guys were just chasing too many pitches. Some of it was just good pitching no doubt. Florida’s starter had a nasty slider.

**I like Georgia leading off Collins, Condon, and Phelps. You just can’t say enough about Corey Collins. He’s pretty much money leading off and I really like Phelps in the 3-spot. I hope Condon gets a dinger or two in today’s game. He’s overdue.

**Both Condon and Caglione have been kept pretty quiet this series

The bad news is Georgia cost themselves a win. The good news is Florida didn’t really beat Georgia. Let’s hope the guys flushed that one and are ready to take the series today. A national seed is at stake here. Losing a home series against a bad Florida team would be a bad way to finish the regular season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.