ADVERTISEMENT

Something I've noticed -- Are we telegraphing our run plays?

mjohns2078

Trash Panda
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2021
Rocket City
I am obviously pretty amateur, and far be it for me to question our coaches, but............

I notice that we line up often in such a way that telegraphs the we are about to run the ball. Several times per game, we get all of our WRs on one side of the line, leaving the tackle uncovered on the opposite side. In the NFL that is automatically an "illegal formation" penalty, but in college, it is only an illegal formation on a pass play; kind of like having linemen downfield blocking is only illegal on pass plays beyond the LOS. If I am the other team, I am in my defensive captain's ear (the one with the helmet radio) that the formation prescribes a run play, and we're bringing everyone into the box to sell out against the run.

I think the only way we can line up as described above and pass downfield would be if that offensive tackle has checked in as an eligible receiver. Then we would have to "cover" an normally eligible receiver (or TE) on the other side and make sure he stays near the LOS.

I don't see any other opposing offenses line up like this nearly as much as we do, and I don't remember it at all pre-Bobo.

Anyone else notice this, or am I way off base?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.