ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry a little off message but what a shame that UNC mens and USCe womens 201f BB teams

watmarsysdawg

National Champion
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2010
turned down invites to the White House. What the hell has happened to sports getting involved into politics just makes me sick. Also wonder who really is making those decisions and if truly the student athletes have a say? I would think it would be an honor to attend a WH ceremony but starting last year the Golden State Warriors set all this crap in motion...at least you still have Hockey and Baseball showing some respect.

Would love nothing more than to see SACS put NC on academic probation. It appears UNC promised SACS the decades of fraudulent courses wouldn't be used to show progress towards a degree and turned right around and told the NCAA the athletes taking those courses were making progress and it was none of the NCAA's business. SACS isn't happy.

Last edited:
Would love nothing more than to see SACS put NC on academic probation. It appears UNC promised SACS the decades of fraudulent courses wouldn't be used to show progress towards a degree and turned right around and told the NCAA the athletes taking those courses were making progress and it was none of the NCAA's business. SACS isn't happy.

Hope so.

I wouldn’t want my daughters in his presence. After what he said about women and how he views them and feels he can treat them. I don’t have an issue with them decling the invitation from the POS....i mean the POTUS.

GO DAWGS!

Feel your love and concern for your daughters. But being honored for your achievements at the White House, a symbol of our nation and all the good things as well as not so good things done by and for this country.....being invited there to be honored is once in a lifetime. It has zero to do with your liking or hating a temporary resident of that building. And if you have any honest male friends, you know worse things have been said by them in locker rooms or out hunting, fishing or on the golf course with “the guys.” As for the grabbing quote, we all know much of that is bravado, macho BS bragging most of us boys have all claimed if not done if opportunities were too plentiful to resist. Don’t BS the boys.

that should happen..

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
Feel your love and concern for your daughters. But being honored for your achievements at the White House, a symbol of our nation and all the good things as well as not so good things done by and for this country.....being invited there to be honored is once in a lifetime. It has zero to do with your liking or hating a temporary resident of that building. And if you have any honest male friends, you know worse things have been said by them in locker rooms or out hunting, fishing or on the golf course with “the guys.” As for the grabbing quote, we all know much of that is bravado, macho BS bragging most of us boys have all claimed if not done if opportunities were too plentiful to resist. Don’t BS the boys.
I would argue that...

oh never mind. Saturday needs to hurry up and get here.

Reactions: Boost Assendahm
White House ceremonies honoring collegiate and professional sports champions are inherently political, so the idea that declining an invite is somehow "injecting politics into sports" is a fundamental misunderstanding of the event itself.

i wrote my PhD dissertation on the history and political significance of these ceremonies - the first scholarship published on the topic, and was quoted in USA Today on an article from Sept 26 on the topic, for those who want to read more about it.

I wouldn’t want my daughters in his presence. After what he said about women and how he views them and feels he can treat them. I don’t have an issue with them decling the invitation from the POS....i mean the POTUS.

GO DAWGS!
Naive

giphy.gif

Reactions: NWGA_DAWG
White House ceremonies honoring collegiate and professional sports champions are inherently political, so the idea that declining an invite is somehow "injecting politics into sports" is a fundamental misunderstanding of the event itself.

i wrote my PhD dissertation on the history and political significance of these ceremonies - the first scholarship published on the topic, and was quoted in USA Today on an article from Sept 26 on the topic, for those who want to read more about it.
For real? That's pretty cool. And anyone who thinks turning down the invite is what makes these things political is fooling themselves. It's a WH event. Everything is political there.

My personal thoughts are complicated on this. It's such an honor to be at the WH (or I view it as such) but my disdain for the current occupant (as a man... not for his policies... but as a MAN) are such that I would find it hard to go. I would be legit torn.

/I'm weak and succumbed to this thread

Reactions: UGADawgGuy
DisastrousDarkEland-small.gif

GO DAWGS!
post-image-speech-XOfhtdaCJg8dG

GO DAWGS!
Yet would have been elated had his daughters gone and met with ole Bill. The hypocrisy is hilarious

Did the original comment say this was the case? Or are you inferring based on no evidence?

Because I can honestly say that I would not want to meet with Clinton either.
Don’t recall responding to you. But it’s hilarious that anyone would turn down the opportunity to meet with a POTUS due to a comment made in a private conversation

turned down invites to the White House. What the hell has happened to sports getting involved into politics just makes me sick. Also wonder who really is making those decisions and if truly the student athletes have a say? I would think it would be an honor to attend a WH ceremony but starting last year the Golden State Warriors set all this crap in motion...at least you still have Hockey and Baseball showing some respect.
The coach from USCe seems a little rough around the edges to me. No shocker

Sports getting into politics? Why are politicians inserting themselves into the sports world? Don't presidents have better things to do than a photo opp with a sports team?

Reactions: Dawg 'n IT
For real? That's pretty cool. And anyone who thinks turning down the invite is what makes these things political is fooling themselves. It's a WH event. Everything is political there.

My personal thoughts are complicated on this. It's such an honor to be at the WH (or I view it as such) but my disdain for the current occupant (as a man... not for his policies... but as a MAN) are such that I would find it hard to go. I would be legit torn.

My only response would be if you are looking for honor in Washington DC or even in the Oval Office for that matter, you're probably in the wrong place. Both parties are full of scumbags. If big red one is worried about his daughters being around people that have said things similar to DJT, his daughters should probably head to a convent.

They'll have professors at most colleges at all but some religious schools that have said and done worse. They'll be surrounded by men in almost any field they can possibly choose that have said and done worse and are probably saying or doing worse.

Had a friend that worked with my wife share that her boss had very crudely referred to what he would like to do to her. Our friend simply told him that Ms DHD and Mr DHD would not be offended at all if he admired the goods and even made these types of comments but he wouldn't advise pursuing his desire.

Don’t recall responding to you. But it’s hilarious that anyone would turn down the opportunity to meet with a POTUS due to a comment made in a private conversation
Really? So no private conversation topic would turn you off? Interesting.

Tom Brady has snubbed the last 2 WH visits. Does he count?

People make mountains out of mole hills. I personally don't care which athletes or teams decline for any reason. I don't like the "bend the knee" attitude that is strengthening in our country.

Invitations can be accepted or declined. Without choice then it is actually a demand and not an invitation.

Although the origins stretch back to the early 20th century, the practice as we currently know it is quite recent. When President Carter hosted the Pittsburgh Steelers and Pirates on Feb 22, 1980, it really took off. Each subsequent administration hosted more than his predecessor. For Presidents, it's not only an opportunity to look like a champion by standing with champions, it's also a chance for them to use the common language of sports and its symbolism to articulate conceptions of national identity.
It's also a very odd occurrence - the team is supposedly who is being honored, but they are the ones who present gifts (e.g., the jersey with the POTUS' name on the back or a signed ball).

I wouldn't want to see trump either, and I voted for him. Piece of trash and a joke of a world leader

Link please

The point is we do know about it, though.
And 99% of heterosexual males have made a similar comment. It’s not a big deal. Can only imagine the bitching and moaning that would go on if we heard some private convos of Teddy, FDR, Jackson or Kennedy

Reactions: aadco
ADVERTISEMENT