ADVERTISEMENT

That Compadres, was one hell of a half of basketball...

elevator

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2001
I think we had 11 turnovers at half, so that means about 5-6 in the 2nd half. But, the key is they were turnovers of aggression where we were taking it to the rim and trying to make a play, as opposed to lack of concentration. Big difference and the kind I don't mind at all most of the time.

Auburn had nothing to lose, senior night, loud crowd,the master manipulator was weeping prior to the game and imploring is team to get one for the gipper, er Mason and they had already beaten us this year. Lots of things working against us. We survived the first half due to some nice play by our bench. JP was gassed after 3 minutes, but gutted it out and got a bit of a second wind. He had little spring or timing, but did a good job, especially rebounding. Don't win without him.

Our frontline played well and took care of the boards, as they should vs Auburn. Nemi is just exuding confidence at this point. Our offense is clicking, we are making nice entry passes and springing guys often for wide open looks.....which means nice picks and cuts. I like the ol' Celtic, UK wheel we ware running out front at times lately with a couple quick dribbles and a handoff...it gets us moving.

CM and JJ were incredible. Throughout the game when AU threatened to take over JJ answered with a big bucket. Some were near impossible. CM has turned into the guy we all knew and hoped he would before this season ended. He has been getting there for several games, but last night was the ultimate example of using his gifts. He played completely under control, saw the court well, used his height and strength and knew he was gonna convert at the line. The misses vs UK actually probably helped his focus.

A really solid job by CMF, although I think he should have gone zone earlier. We just do not matchup with AU mtm. But, the fouls forced his hand and he went zone right at the end to throw a twist at AU. Even, when they scored in the second half it took them a lot of clock to get a shot. Now, maybe some will understand why we would have beat AU the first time with zone late. All in all great use of the bench and keeping us focused.

Hopefully, he will be ready to use zone more often when appropriate. I also agree with Stick and others....why not foul in the backcourt with 4 seconds left. We got lucky because they got a decent look and we almost fouled them.

We are now playing like the solid veteran team we are and there is no doubt in my mind we are capable of winning at least two in the dance. It's about time.

This is premium content. Please subscribe to view.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.