ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg The Appalachee HS shooter

TivoliDawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2001
is 14-year old Colt Gray. He made threats to shoot up a school a year ago and he was interviewed by the GBI and local police. There was no probable cause at the time.

His father told authorities during that interview that he owned hunting rifles but his son had no unauthorized access to them. 🙄🙄. Talk about a clueless dad.

Your son is making threats to shoot people with guns and you don’t think to get rid of them until he’s out of the house?

I assume the parent(s) will also now be charged with murder? That’s what happened in Michigan. Need to start charging the parents with at least negligent homicide.

It sounds like this is going to end up fitting the profile that we've seen all to often. Yeah, the access to a semi auto rifle is troubling but the kid was screaming for help over a yr ago and instead of recognizing that you have a kid that isn't able to cope in a normal middle school/high school setting and getting him help, LE and the admins just go thru the motions. We can't simply keep treating kids with severe mental disorders as if they are normal and expecting the normal kids to stop acting normally. These kids need help. They don't need to be ignored as if threatening to commit horrible acts of violence isn't probable cause to at least temporarily put them into a situation that isn't as stressful to them.

Last edited:
I don't understand how there was enough evidence to investigate HIM specifically.....but not enough to go further, when he denied making threats.

There was evidence he made threats online. So LE shows up. The kid denies it....and that's the end of it???

is 14-year old Colt Gray. He made threats to shoot up a school a year ago and he was interviewed by the GBI and local police. There was no probable cause at the time.

His father told authorities during that interview that he owned hunting rifles but his son had no unauthorized access to them. 🙄🙄. Talk about a clueless dad.

Your son is making threats to shoot people with guns and you don’t think to get rid of them until he’s out of the house?

I assume the parent(s) will also now be charged with murder? That’s what happened in Michigan. Need to start charging the parents with at least negligent homicide.
Parents are finally being held accountable for completely ignoring their mentally ill children.

How did he get the gun into the school?… collapsable stock in book bag?… seems a troubled kid with his history would’ve been screened every time he walked in that place… parents didn’t have guns locked up or notice one was missing?… kid has no idea what he’s done to so many lives… unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgdocindosta
The whole system is broken. Instead of giving away billions of dollars to illegal immigrants we need to make major investments in mental health. Too many Americans are going untreated and this is what happens. When these threats are made, they should immediately remove student from the school system. But unfortunately in America we have wasted the money we need to build facilities that can treat these people. So there is no where that they can find the help they need. Terrible situation for all involved and for the future of this country

The very easy access to pretty much any firearm.
The complete breakdown of our mental health system.
What could possibly go wrong......

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
So of course, the topic of gun control always comes up in the media after these events. But suppose a 14 year old with mental issues lives in a home with no AR, but his Dad does own a 9mm. He could still walk into a classroom and kill 4 or more students and teachers.

Georgia had "gun control" over buying handguns back in the early 90's when I lived in Athens and purchased a 357-magnum revolver. I had to wait 2 weeks during background checks before I could take it home from the pawn shop. Do they still have this type of "gun control" in Georgia?

Last edited:
The very easy access to pretty much any firearm.
The complete breakdown of our mental health system.
What could possibly go wrong......

Actually.....I don't disagree with that. You didn't bash guns or gun owners, which I appreciate. You are talking about a combination of factors and I can get on board with a conversation like that.

Parents are finally being held accountable for completely ignoring their mentally ill children.

You cannot have a son who threatens to shoot up a school with guns and then he takes your guns and does it… and you don’t go to prison.

Sad situation, but parents need to be held accountable for the secure storage of your guns. Lock these parents, at least the dad, up for 15 years and we’ll see gun-owning parents start taking this more seriously.

No one is taking your guns away, but if you can’t keep them secure, there are consequences.

It sounds like this is going to end up fitting the profile that we've seen all to often. Yeah, the access to a semi auto rifle is troubling but the kid was screaming for help over a yr ago and instead of recognizing that you have a kid that isn't able to cope in a normal middle school/high school setting and getting him help, LE and the admins just go thru the motions. We can't simply keep treating kids with severe mental disorders as if they are normal and expecting the normal kids to stop acting normally. These kids need help. They don't need to be ignored as if threatening to commit horrible acts of violence isn't probable cause to at least temporarily put them into a situation that isn't as stressful to them.
Respectfully, it is not the school nor thr police’s job to raise this young man. It is his father’s responsibility to raise this boy into a man.

If he makes threats about killing people, and then you choose to keep guns in the house… you’re going to prison with your son. Sorry not sorry.

Respectfully, it is not the school nor thr police’s job to raise this young man. It is his father’s responsibility to raise this boy into a man.

If he makes threats about killing people, and then you choose to keep guns in the house… you’re going to prison with your son. Sorry not sorry.
Respectfully, I understand it's the parents job to raise their children but I don't pay taxes to bad parents to keep my children safe. I pay taxes so the authorities can act on credible threats and take appropriate actions to keep the normal kids safe as well as helping a kid that has severe mental issues.

Maybe if you raised a child that has severe mental disorders, maxed out a generous health insurance plan and spent a couple of hundred grand out of pocket and saw first hand how unwilling the schools and local health agencies are to assist you may have a change of heart. Now, of course a neglectful, abusive or irresponsible parent should be held accountable for their actions but since we aren't going to eliminate shitty parents, the people we pay to protect our communities and our kids should have the tools and training to intervene when a kid is literally screaming on social media that he's off the rails.

Last edited:

If your son is showing signs of violence you get a safe with a finger print system (they make them it’s really nice) and you never allow your son to access those safes. Whoever screwed up and let this kid get those guns is going to prison, they’ll probably be punished more than the kid unfortunately given the shooter was 14. This was a failure for the parents and failure for the school not catching a kid with a AR Rifle entering the school.

f your son is showing signs of violence you get a safe with a finger print system (they make them it’s really nice) and you never allow your son to access those safes.
No real argument here but when you have a child that at 13 was threatening to execute a mass shooting on social media, the GBI knows and notifies the schools, the kid should NEVER drop off the radar. Generally speaking, when this type of incident occurs, none of the kids are shocked when the identity of the shooter is revealed. Kids that are this troubled are usually easy to spot. We can't continue acting like a kid that is having this much trouble coping needs to be forced into coping until they pop.

Last edited:
Respectfully, I understand it's the parents job to raise their children but I don't pay taxes to bad parents to keep my children safe. I pay taxes so the authorities can act on credible threats and take appropriate actions to keep the normal kids safe as well as helping a kid that has severe mental issues.

Maybe if you raised a child that has severe mental disorders, maxed out a generous health insurance plan and spent a couple of hundred grand out of pocket and seen how unwilling the schools and local health agencies are to assist you may have a change of heart. Now, of course a neglectful, abusive or irresponsible parent should be held accountable for their actions but since we aren't going to eliminate shitty parents, the people we pay to protect our communities and our kids should have the tools and training to intervene when a kid is literally screaming on social media that he's off the rails.
Even if all that is true, how can you allow a kid who has been investigated for threats to shoot up a school to have access to your guns? Especially semi rifle.? Especially if all you say is true.

Even if all that is true, how can you allow a kid who has been investigated for threats to shoot up a school to have access to your guns? Especially semi rifle.? Especially if all you say is true.
No doubt, the manner in which the kid got his hands on a semi auto rifle should be investigated and if the parents were neglectful or even complicit, they should be held responsible. I'm not saying shitty parenting should be ignored or excused. I'm saying we don't rely on shitty parents to keep our schools safe. My mom retired from an elementary classroom early due to being assaulted by students and threatened by my little Johnnie never does anything wrong parents so we can't depend on 1500 or so parents to be responsible. (Also, sometimes the behavior isn't exhibited at home because the stress that drives the kid isn't present)

So, without excusing bad parenting and perfectly willing to hold parents responsible for any behavior that contributed to the tragedy, I'm saying we need to make sure LE and school admins have the tools and legal protections to intervene when these kids start going off the rails. I have no real issue with the sheriff's actions under the law as it now exists. What I'm saying is generally speaking, everyone in the school knows the kids that are struggling to the point of breaking and instead of trying to mainstream these kids that can't cope with normal, we need to intervene and get them some help. When you have shooting after shooting where the kids in the school saying things like we all thought if there was a shooting it would be X, we need to have a plan for when kids start exhibiting that X behavior.

Do we know he used his dad’s gun? I don’t know and not going to read the details but possible he got it from somewhere else.

Kid should have never been allowed back in general school population if he made a gun threat the year before. Told everyone he was going to do it and govt is so bad, they couldn’t protect innocents. School too. If the firearm
Belonged to the dad, it’s bad and he should face charges, but no matter what, complete failure of government. Parents should avoid public schools

Do we know he used his dad’s gun? I don’t know and not going to read the details but possible he got it from somewhere else.

Kid should have never been allowed back in general school population if he made a gun threat the year before. Told everyone he was going to do it and govt is so bad, they couldn’t protect innocents. School too. If the firearm
Belonged to the dad, it’s bad and he should face charges, but no matter what, complete failure of government. Parents should avoid public schools
Unfortunately, they live in a county that doesn't allow teachers and admin to carry firearms. Until this is allowed in your school district, you are not serious about the problem. In addition, there are some very good training programs available to harden these targets.
This is one of the best.
https://fastersaveslives.org/

Reactions: Dawgdocindosta
Unfortunately, they live in a county that doesn't allow teachers and admin to carry firearms. Until this is allowed in your school district, you are not serious about the problem. In addition, there are some very good training programs available to harden these targets.
This is one of the best.
I thought I read there was an armed resource officer who secured him. I guess he got to him too late.

Reactions: stray
I thought I read there was an armed resource officer who secured him. I guess he got to him too late.
Maybe he/she was immediately on the scene. It doesn't take that long to kill 4 people and injure 20 more.

Waiting on a resource officer or law enforcement is, in my opinion, not a legitimate plan. Look at other shootings where the officers either ran away or didn't even enter the building. Law enforcement has no legal duty to protect you or anyone else. This has been adjudicated in the courts. Even if they do engage the shooter, they could be minutes away which allows enough times for lots of people to be murdered.

Well, it appears the kids mother is a criminal meth head. Been convicted multiple times and spent time in prison. She has also been arrested for domestic violence. No story on the dad yet, but this kid's mom is real piece of work. I would think this may be more of a factor in his issues than bullying etc.

Especially not with an AR-platform-style weapon.
Well, we don't live in a world of muskets anymore. But to be fair, almost any gun would allow you to do this even though it may take slightly longer. Or maybe a knife, we just had someone in Europe kill 4 people with a knife.

Let's look at one of the deadliest school events in US history, any idea what that is? 172 children and 2 teachers where killed at Lakeview Elementary when the school caught on fire. Now, think hard and let me know when the last time a school burned down and killed a hundred kids? Why doesn't that happen any more, because we changed tactics. We stopped building schools out of wood and used concrete.
We have to use the same thinking now. You harden the targets by controlling access, using metal detectors, you allow teachers and admin with training to carry weapons, among other things. Politicians, administrators and school districts don't want to change what they are doing because that's hard, they only want to point at others and expect them to change. Obviously it's not all of them but teaching students to hide in closets is not a legitimate plan. I don't think having 2 resource officers watching over 2000 students is effective either. Can you afford to hire 100 officers, no. So, let's look at other options that have a proven track record.

This is one of the best.

I agree. The program the state of Ohio uses is wonderful.

Reactions: stray
The parents should start listening to their kids and quit making excuses for their behavior.

Reactions: doerunn
The parents should start listening to their kids and quit making excuses for their behavior.
No argumemt at all with this but we still need to pass laws and protect teachers. Admin and LE that have info that shows a kid going off the rails.

We blame guns. We blame bullying. We blame parents and there may be truth to it all but we must be able to act in order to defuse a kid before he blows up. If a kid starts flashing signs and making public threats, maybe we should have a law requiring mandatory mental health screening and a comprehensive treatment program.

Reactions: doerunn
The father of Apalachee High School mass shooting suspect Colt Gray told investigators this week he had purchased the gun used in the killings as a holiday present for his son in December 2023, according to two law enforcement sources with direct knowledge of the investigation.

Apparently Dad was a big MAGA guy. I don’t know if that’s true, but people are saying.

The father of Apalachee High School mass shooting suspect Colt Gray told investigators this week he had purchased the gun used in the killings as a holiday present for his son in December 2023, according to two law enforcement sources with direct knowledge of the investigation.
An AR 15. Just what every 14-year-old who has previously threatened to shoot up their school needs for the holidays. What the hell is wrong with people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT