ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg The new Star Wars movie is awful

Movie is good but a bit messy. Only one really awful, terrible scene that made me laugh

Don’t tell me that. I going tomorrow to watch it.

It's good...just leave your preconceptions behind. It doesn't follow most of the tired cliches of the past & plays on your expectations. Is it perfect? No. But, it has some really great moments & frees up Episode IX to be as good as the creative minds want it to be.

I mean it’s just awful. Cool cinamatography and action - but overall a nonexisitant storyline. Terrible.
I thought it was fine. Have only been two that I won’t watch again the 4th and 5th ones.

It's good...just leave your preconceptions behind. It doesn't follow most of the tired cliches of the past & plays on your expectations. Is it perfect? No. But, it has some really great moments & frees up Episode IX to be as good as the creative minds want it to be.

Dang Moose, normally I respect your opinion but if you think that was a good movie I'm questioning your judgment. Kylo Ren was awful again, Leia's Mary Poppins act was laughably terrible, Snoke was never even close to a developed character, etc. etc.
Star Wars hasn't come out with a good movie since Empire Strikes Back. The Hayden Christiansen prequels were beyond awful. I will say that Rogue One was pretty decent.

Dang Moose, normally I respect your opinion but if you think that was a good movie I'm questioning your judgment. Kylo Ren was awful again, Leia's Mary Poppins act was laughably terrible, Snoke was never even close to a developed character, etc. etc.
Star Wars hasn't come out with a good movie since Empire Strikes Back. The Hayden Christiansen prequels were beyond awful. I will say that Rogue One was pretty decent.

LOL. Fair enough. I think the ultimate 'judgement' will be based off how good Episode IX is. The Last Jedi was more of a "#3" movie (in line w/ Revenge of the Sith & Return of the Jedi), but is in the "#2" slot. It's freeing up the next installment to be something different (I hope).

It's not a perfect movie by any stretch, but it does it's job in resetting the narrative for something outside what's been the repetitive 'Skywalker Saga'. Plus...and I'll ask you to really think about this for a bit before judging me...I really think it makes aspects of the Prequels better, in retrospect.

I get why people don't like it. But, I think a lot of that is because so many of the "possibilities" (i.e. what Luke was doing after RofJ) were eliminated. Think about it: There's been decades of people wondering/hoping/expecting what Luke Skywalker did after he defeated the Emperor and "saved" his father. The possibilities were endless. He was possibly the most talented Jedi ever. Regardless of what the Last Jedi did w/ his narrative...it was going to disappoint simply for eliminating 99.9% if that potential, and force people into a single narrative/story.

To put it another way...Scary Movies area always scarier before the monster is 'revealed', because our imaginations are endless. It's the possibility of that terror that's always scarier than reality. Luke was never going to 'live up' to our expectations....if he had...it's not much of a movie, is it? He just swoops in and beats the big baddies because he's so all-powerful. What kind of story is that? He needs his flaws, he needs his struggles, he needs redemption (even if we didn't know it!).

I think the Last Jedi gave us the Luke 'story' we didn't know we needed...both to move on and to set up the 'Next Chapter'.

/nerd.mode.off

;)

LOL. Fair enough. I think the ultimate 'judgement' will be based off how good Episode IX is. The Last Jedi was more of a "#3" movie (in line w/ Revenge of the Sith & Return of the Jedi), but is in the "#2" slot. It's freeing up the next installment to be something different (I hope).

It's not a perfect movie by any stretch, but it does it's job in resetting the narrative for something outside what's been the repetitive 'Skywalker Saga'. Plus...and I'll ask you to really think about this for a bit before judging me...I really think it makes aspects of the Prequels better, in retrospect.

I get why people don't like it. But, I think a lot of that is because so many of the "possibilities" (i.e. what Luke was doing after RofJ) were eliminated. Think about it: There's been decades of people wondering/hoping/expecting what Luke Skywalker did after he defeated the Emperor and "saved" his father. The possibilities were endless. He was possibly the most talented Jedi ever. Regardless of what the Last Jedi did w/ his narrative...it was going to disappoint simply for eliminating 99.9% if that potential, and force people into a single narrative/story.

To put it another way...Scary Movies area always scarier before the monster is 'revealed', because our imaginations are endless. It's the possibility of that terror that always scarier than reality. Luke was never going to 'live up' to our expectations....if he had...it's not much of a movie, is it? He just swoops in and beats the big baddies because he's so all-powerful. What kind of story is that? He needs his flaws, he needs his struggles, he needs redemption (even if we didn't know it!).

I think the Last Jedi gave us the Luke 'story' we didn't know we needed...both to move on and to set up the 'Next Chapter'.

/nerd.mode.off

;)

I get what you're saying about Luke but it was just so weak what they did with him, it was just ridiculous IMO.

As far as the "Next Chapter", I have very low expectations going forward with characters like Kylo Ren, Rey, Poe, etc...
(it also looks like they are pretty much setting up the universe to be completely dominated by women while the males are put in their place...but that's a different issue altogether, no need to discuss that on here)

Don’t tell me that. I going tomorrow to watch it.
You will enjoy it. It was a good movie. Right about 4th outta 9 for me. It is a long movie. About my only complaint. Can’t believe the direction they went with it. Solid movie and worth the watch. Made Luke cool finally, although I hated they way they went about it. Don’t want to spoil it for you, but for 40 something’s like myself, the 7 year old in me didn’t get what I wanted to see. It was made more for me now and seven year old today. Not for the reminiscent kid in me.

Last edited:
I get what you're saying about Luke but it was just so weak what they did with him, it was just ridiculous IMO.

As far as the "Next Chapter", I have very low expectations going forward with characters like Kylo Ren, Rey, Poe, etc...
(it also looks like they are pretty much setting up the universe to be completely dominated by women while the males are put in their place...but that's a different issue altogether, no need to discuss that on here)

What you see as weakness I see as a sort of strength, I would argue. Potentially misguided? Sure. But, I understand the reasoning. To add a bit of 'personal perspective'...I've been a nuclear-certified weapons officer. I can appreciate the gravity of knowing the responsibility of 'ultimate power'....and can relate to what he might have been going through if I saw all-powerful/destructive abilities moving beyond my control (i.e. better to stay or go?). It rang true with me.

As far as the male/female discussion...in a world where males dominate 'combat' positions...and a vast majority of said positions end in death...who's left? It seems real to me. The proof is in the execution of #IX, for me. I think there is legit potential. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Bond movies IMO.
I can see where you’re coming from since almost every plot is identical, but at least Bond drank heavily and pulled top notch trim all while serving his country. The only person in SW capable of such awesomeness is Han Solo. Is he even in the new ones? BTW I always judged Bond for being British and preferring martinis to Scotch. That’s weak.

I mean it’s just awful. Cool cinamatography and action - but overall a nonexisitant storyline. Terrible.
I enjoyed at the time, but looking back I feel it didn’t progress the story at all and was anticlimactic.

Reactions: amdg63
Two things: we waited all this time for Luke to reappear, and he's little more than a "get off my lawn" old codger. #2 - The Leia flying back to the ship like Superman was ludicrous. There were people laughing in my theatre (and not in a good way)

Last Jedi is an abomination and should have an asterisk beside it that reads made for 8-12 year olds and tweener millennials. There were so many unrealistic characters and the plot is C minus grade pulp. Even the kid leaving the theater asked why the most sophisticated ship the empire builds doesn’t have a shield, but the rebel ship of course does. Since when do they run out of fuel? What was there plan, to find a Circle K in space to load up on diesel? So a nuclear aircraft carrier in our world can sail for years, but they are running out of fuel! So Luke is trained by Obi Won and Yoda and battles Darth Vader twice, but Rey with two minutes of training can beat Luke into submission? What an insult. Don’t even get me started on Rose. I never thought there could be a more annoying character than Jar Jar Binks. Every man in the movie is an imbecile and every female character is a Mary Sue. In the first Star Wars, the X wing fighters looked like they could’ve flown P-51 mustangs in WW2. Now they look like they came from the cast of high school musical.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT