ADVERTISEMENT

Traeger vs masterbuilt

cwuga

National Champion
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2010
Looking for recs. I am going to buy a smoker in the next few weeks. I have a few friends with Traegers and they love them. I have reviewed both. What does the vent say? Thanks in advance and go dawgs!

I say this with all due respect. If you are male, buy a kamodo. Doesn’t have to be a Big Green Egg, but at least has to be a Joe. You can’t cook a proper steak on a pellet grill, but you can on a BGE.

Your guest secretly curse you ”smoked“ burgers and unseared steaks.

Does steak fine. As well as everything else I've cooked. Burgers, wings, pork, brisket. I like my pellet smoker.
Screenshot-20200716-150232-Gallery.jpg

Just parted ways with a BGE after several years. We now use A Rec Tec that reaches 500 degrees and has sear plates. You can, imo, cook a great steak on it. But sure everyone has their own preferences. It is just so much easier to operate than a GBE type grill. Let me add I am 68 and am into “easier” more than I used to be.

Been a hardcore Traeger guy since my wife surprised me with one 3 years ago. Love it and use it about once a week, just so versatile. The only negative is it doesn’t get hot enough for steak searing but I reverse sear anyway so not a problem at all.

MB are nice but id go RecTec over Traeger. Traeger is closer to Pitboss in quality than RecTec. If I was eyying a Traeger, I'd save money and buy a Pitboss. But RecTec is awesome.

Reactions: bayrooster
If you’re fine with a Chinese-made computer controlling your fire of compressed sawdust and your food not tasting as good as it could, you’re on the right track.

MB1050 for over a year now and love it. It is a versatile pit that holds low temperatures well while also being able to reach high temps (700°) quickly. No moving parts like a pellet grill plus it uses charcoal (which I prefer flavor wise). You can still mix in wood chunks for smoking & flavor. Grab a couple GrillGrates for searing (adds another >150° to the surface temp) and using as a griddle.

I bought a RecTeq (over a Traeger) a few weeks ago after doing heavy research and I love it. I own a Kamodo Joe as well but find that I do not use it much unless I have time to spare. The RecTeq 590 can get to 500 F, so while it may not be as hot as some like for searing, it can function as a grill just fine for most things.

Reactions: cwuga
I've had a Traeger for about 5 yrs and never had a minutes trouble out of it but some on here that have pellet grills and have had issues seem to indicate Rec Tec's customer service is much better than Traeger's. Also, I don't have an issue searing because I reverse sear but my Traeger has a max setting of 450 and it won't reach that on a really cold day.

Additionally, even though the cooking on a pellet is almost fool proof, set and forget, there is a small amount of cleaning that should be done to ensure ease of use the next time you cook. Always follow the shut down procedures, dump the pellet bin and store the pellets in a dry environment and clean the ashes out of the barrel at least after every 3 or 4 cooks.

Yes, there are some minor trade offs with pellets vs BGE just like there are trade offs using the BGE vs a traditional hard wood burning offset smoker. However, the pellets allow you to use them regularly without using up your day. I have posted before but I once started a brisket in the morning, left for the day to attend my granddaughters gymnastics meet, returned about 10 hours later and finished off the cook. You would have thought I had been tending the fire all day and monitoring the fire. It really feels like you are cheating with the pellets.

Cooker/grill opinions vary and may be even more deeply seeded than politics. Lol. Can’t go wrong with Traeger, RecTeq, GMG, or any high quality kamado.

Question for the thread- has anyone used or know anyone that has used the Masterbuilt Gravity Series? It sounds logical, but 1) does it work and 2) will it last? Just curious...

has anyone used or know anyone that has used the Masterbuilt Gravity Series?
No idear. Just what I need though. Another outdoor cooking device.

current line up;
BGE

ReqTec

Weber Smokey Joe (great portable charcoal)

Weber Q - best small portable gas grill imo. Amazing little grill

Blackstone Griddle

Lang knockoff reverse flow smoker - can feed an army with it.

Deep fryer I keep outside. (Want to upgrade/upsize)

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
No idear. Just what I need though. Another outdoor cooking device.

current line up;
BGE

ReqTec

Weber Smokey Joe (great portable charcoal)

Weber Q - best small portable gas grill imo. Amazing little grill

Blackstone Griddle

Lang knockoff reverse flow smoker - can feed an army with it.

Deep fryer I keep outside. (Want to upgrade/upsize)

dang man.....if you lose your job, you are set to go in the food bidness.

Cant speak to pellet grills/smokers as I have never had one. The RecTek gets a lot of good reviews on here, and have heard good words on the PK grills. For me, I've had a BGE for years, and wood not think of going to anything else.

ADVERTISEMENT