ADVERTISEMENT

Two actual football thoughts/questions...

FivePtsDawg

El Guapo
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2001
Dunwoody
I'm sure these have been discussed after Saturday's game, but I wasn't on the Vent much that night or Sunday, so forgive me.

1) Are we seriously an almost exclusively shotgun team at this point? I get that we gave up on the fullback position several years ago, but seeing us consistently line up & run out of shotgun in short yardage & goal line situations on Saturday- with limited success, I might add- was pretty jarring. Especially since our QB is virtually no threat to actually keep it & run himself. Look at the TD run that Etienne had to put us up 21-10 in the 3rd. We're 3rd & goal from the 1, go to shotgun, keep literally everyone in to block (no receivers released at all), and they have enough time to have a defender shoot straight into the backfield through an open gap and grab Etienne by the leg and almost keep him from getting in (and you can argue he actually did). Why start our QB back that far on a play where we have zero plan/option to throw?

2) Both sacks we gave up were 3-man rushes against a 5-man line on 3rd down. In both instances our RG blocked no one, but I'm sure he was just covering his zone. Just alarming to see instances of both miscommunication (2nd sack) and getting physically whipped (1st sack) end promising drives for us.

1st sack:

2nd sack:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.