ADVERTISEMENT

Two of the scariest words

celticdawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Gold Member
Sep 2, 2003
Michael Caputo

He needs to be removed immediately. He wears more tin foil than some of the people on here.

(You can use your own source, because you would probably criticize mine).

Reactions: RoyDawgMercer
Michael Caputo

He needs to be removed immediately. He wears more tin foil than some of the people on here.

He sounds crazy and its hard to believe (well, maybe not so much) that he is in a position with that kind of responsibility. I mean, it is absolutely reasonable to assume Biden (and those propping him up) won’t concede the election (neither will Trump), and it is absolutely reasonable to assume that there will be a violent reaction by the left if Trump wins, as there has been violence already and the Atlantic recently published something suggesting that the only way to avoid further violence is for Biden to win in a landslide. But the sedition part is fantastical, as are the claims of fear from living in DC.

Also, that first paragraph is journalistic malpractice and exactly why people no longer trust the Times. Is the statement outlandish? Of course, but that is a political characterization, and it’s so pejorative it should never be in a journalist’s lead paragraph. It reads like someone at Breitbart wrote it.

Fox, no paragon of objectivity, would never include that characterization in a NEWS article. Similarly, they would never claim something was “false“ nearly because of the unlikeliness of the charge. Say it’s without substantiation because it is, but false implies that you’ve investigated it, and you haven’t. You’ve just already determined that it’s false, and that is not a journalist’s job to draw that conclusion in the absence of evidence just because it sounds deranged.

I’d be interested to know when some of the folks on your side—and don’t kid anyone, you have one—are going to start holding your own norm-breaking accountable? Because right now, all standards have been abandoned in the name of one narcissistic megalomaniac. And doing so makes it more likely, not less, that he’ll continue operating outside those norms. The next time you and a couple others here criticize the left will be the first. If you want to be the other side’s spitting image of a few of the Trumpkins, be my guest, but I would aspire to something better than that.

WASHINGTON — The top communications official at the powerful cabinet department in charge of combating the coronavirus made outlandish and false claims on Sunday that career government scientists were engaging in “sedition” in their handling of the pandemic and warned that left-wing hit squads were preparing for armed insurrection after the election.

He sounds crazy and its hard to believe (well, maybe not so much) that he is in a position with that kind of responsibility. I mean, it is absolutely reasonable to assume Biden (and those propping him up) won’t concede the election (neither will Trump), and it is absolutely reasonable to assume that there will be a violent reaction by the left if Trump wins, as there has been violence already and the Atlantic recently published something suggesting that the only way to avoid further violence is for Biden to win in a landslide. But the sedition part is fantastical, as are the claims of fear from living in DC.

Also, that first paragraph is journalistic malpractice and exactly why people no longer trust the Times. Is the statement outlandish? Of course, but that is a political characterization, and it’s so pejorative it should never be in a journalist’s lead paragraph. It reads like someone at Breitbart wrote it.

Fox, no paragon of objectivity, would never include that characterization in a NEWS article. Similarly, they would never claim something was “false“ nearly because of the unlikeliness of the charge. Say it’s without substantiation because it is, but false implies that you’ve investigated it, and you haven’t. You’ve just already determined that it’s false, and that is not a journalist’s job to draw that conclusion in the absence of evidence just because it sounds deranged.

I’d be interested to know when some of the folks on your side—and don’t kid anyone, you have one—are going to start holding your own norm-breaking accountable? Because right now, all standards have been abandoned in the name of one narcissistic megalomaniac. And doing so makes it more likely, not less, that he’ll continue operating outside those norms. The next time you and a couple others here criticize the left will be the first. If you want to be the other side’s spitting image of a few of the Trumpkins, be my guest, but I would aspire to something better than that.

WASHINGTON — The top communications official at the powerful cabinet department in charge of combating the coronavirus made outlandish and false claims on Sunday that career government scientists were engaging in “sedition” in their handling of the pandemic and warned that left-wing hit squads were preparing for armed insurrection after the election.

As to what might happen after the election, hopefully nothing, but we can't predict that and that's not a major point to me.

I purposely didn't give a source, because that discussion always detracts from the issue. Let's agree that journalism is often, or always, lacking these days.

I'm just going to keep on saying, I'm not on any side. I don't really care for either candidate to be President, but again that's getting off the subject of one Mr. Caputo.

My issue with Caputo is that his comments were scary coming from someone in his position. You did mention his claim of sedition. And he claims they are going to have to kill him, come on.

And I'm really worried about any effort to interfere with the reports from the CDC. You can believe what you want, but when former and current CDC officials talk about efforts to revise the reports from the CDC, that really bothers me. It appears to be another effort to change the truth to what Trump wants. It adds to the mistrust of anything coming from the government. We need the CDC to be removed from influence as much as possible and I'm concerned. If I read correctly Caputo complained on Facebook that his "mental health has definitely failed". Please tell me he didn't say that and I'll feel a little better.

You want to vote for Trump, go right ahead, it's a free country. But he is not helping matters and, while all these "groups" should go to jail for their violence and other law-breaking no matter who they support, adding fuel to the fire. Come on, he has not said that he will accept the results of the election. Don't you think that is a issue?

I typically find you to be a thoughtful poster, but this post is some of the absolute worst whataboutism I have ever seen. To recap, the article (from the dreaded NY Times) pulls direct quotes from a Trump loyalist who has been working to take control of Covid reporting out of the CDC. By the way, he has no background in medicine or science. Yesterday, on a Facebook video broadcast, he said the following:
  • Accused CDC scientists of sedition, which is a curious and specific word
  • Claimed left-wing hit squads are preparing for an armed insurrection
  • States that these hit squads are going to target him specifically
  • Predicted that Trump will win and Biden will refuse to concede
  • “And when Donald Trump refuses to stand down at the inauguration, the shooting will begin,” he said. “The drills that you’ve seen are nothing.” He added: “If you carry guns, buy ammunition, ladies and gentlemen, because it’s going to be hard to get.”
  • saying scientists “deep in the bowels of the C.D.C. have given up science and become political animals.”
  • “haven’t gotten out of their sweatpants except for meetings at coffee shops” to plot “how they’re going to attack Donald Trump next,”
  • “Remember the Trump supporter who was shot and killed?” he said. “That was a drill.”
  • He “went down fighting,” Mr. Caputo said. “Why? Because he couldn’t say what he had inside him.” He then spoke of “hit squads being trained all over this country”
This is highly inflammatory and if true and ready for public consumption should be communicated to the american people via the Justice Department and the FBI. Bill Barr would absolutely love to deliver this in a giant press conference. That hasn't happened because it is complete and utter bullsh*t.

Yet you kind of acknowledge that this sounds a little crazy and maybe is overboard but there probably will be violence regardless of the outcome. Then we get several long paragraphs about the current state of journalism and norm breaking on both sides and "my side" being absolutists.

Do I have a side in this election? Absolutely. The President has stated repeatedly that the only way he will lose the election is if there is widespread fraud. This while he is down in every poll out there. Do you believe the only way he will lose is due to fraud, and if not, do you believe those statements damage the very foundation of our elections? Caputo, a senior official in the US government, is spewing unsupported and fantastical lies regarding sedition and hit squads. Do you believe him, or do you think this is a cynical effort to create an environment that fosters chaos and bloodshed if Trump losses? Either the statements are true, or they are entirely disqualifying from serving in any role in our government.

I am interested to hear your thoughts on the questions above.

Reactions: celticdawg
I typically find you to be a thoughtful poster, but this post is some of the absolute worst whataboutism I have ever seen. To recap, the article (from the dreaded NY Times) pulls direct quotes from a Trump loyalist who has been working to take control of Covid reporting out of the CDC. By the way, he has no background in medicine or science. Yesterday, on a Facebook video broadcast, he said the following:
  • “And when Donald Trump refuses to stand down at the inauguration, the shooting will begin,” he said. “The drills that you’ve seen are nothing.” He added: “If you carry guns, buy ammunition, ladies and gentlemen, because it’s going to be hard to get.”
  • saying scientists “deep in the bowels of the C.D.C. have given up science and become political animals.”
  • “haven’t gotten out of their sweatpants except for meetings at coffee shops” to plot “how they’re going to attack Donald Trump next,”
  • “Remember the Trump supporter who was shot and killed?” he said. “That was a drill.”
  • He “went down fighting,” Mr. Caputo said. “Why? Because he couldn’t say what he had inside him.” He then spoke of “hit squads being trained all over this country”
This is highly inflammatory and if true and ready for public consumption should be communicated to the american people via the Justice Department and the FBI. Bill Barr would absolutely love to deliver this in a giant press conference. That hasn't happened because it is complete and utter bullsh*t.

Yet you kind of acknowledge that this sounds a little crazy and maybe is overboard but there probably will be violence regardless of the outcome. Then we get several long paragraphs about the current state of journalism and norm breaking on both sides and "my side" being absolutists.

Do I have a side in this election? Absolutely. The President has stated repeatedly that the only way he will lose the election is if there is widespread fraud. This while he is down in every poll out there. Do you believe the only way he will lose is due to fraud, and if not, do you believe those statements damage the very foundation of our elections? Caputo, a senior official in the US government, is spewing unsupported and fantastical lies regarding sedition and hit squads. Do you believe him, or do you think this is a cynical effort to create an environment that fosters chaos and bloodshed if Trump losses? Either the statements are true, or they are entirely disqualifying from serving in any role in our government.

The fact that you mentioned him being down in ‘every poll out there’ invalidates everything else you said because if you believe the ‘polls’ then you will believe anything.

The fact that you mentioned him being down in ‘every poll out there’ invalidates everything else you said because if you believe the ‘polls’ then you will believe anything.

That's all you got out of that discussion. Besides I think you might have missed the context. He's making the point that the President is saying the only way he could lose is .... when it's hard to say he's winning in the first place.

It's hard to invalidate the quotes from Caputo regardless of what you say.

So are you saying that the absolute only way Trump can lose the election is widespread voter fraud? This after Trump lost the popular vote by nearly 3m votes last time, was running against one of the most polarizing figures in modern politics and is now faced with a crashed economy and 200k deaths on his watch?

If that is your position, you are simply not rational.

Reactions: celticdawg
So are you saying that the absolute only way Trump can lose the election is widespread voter fraud? This after Trump lost the popular vote by nearly 3m votes last time, was running against one of the most polarizing figures in modern politics and is now faced with a crashed economy and 200k deaths on his watch?

If that is your position, you are simply not rational.

No, I never said I didn’t think he could lose. I just said trusting big media polls that are using Dem +8-10 modeling isn’t smart... He lost the popular vote by 3M in 2016 because he lost CA by 4.2M votes (news flash, that won’t happen this time). Also, what ‘crashed’ economy? Unemployment is 8.4% after a forced nationwide lockdown and meanwhile it was 7.9% on Election Day in 2012 after 4 years of Obama/Biden. Voters overwhelmingly trust Trump on the economy. As for COVID, nobody outside of MSM and the left actually blames Trump for any of the deaths because there is no proof from anyone that those deaths could have prevented or that anyone else had a better suggestion. If Biden or someone on the left better knew how to prevent things then they should have spoken up. In fact, you can argue that Dem Governors complete incompetence was the reason for a large majority of deaths across the country.

Reactions: wooly_bugger

First, there isn’t much more to say about the bewildering things that moron said, so I feel no need to defend him. Nor did I try. But I tire of hearing the “what aboutism“ charge, because it’s really just a deflection and failure to acknowledge the hypocrisy that is so pervasive on the left these days. Your post is the perfect example, even though my primary criticism of you and Celtic is that although intelligent, neither of you ever hold the left accountable. Never. I’ve been trashed here as a liberal socialist (I’m neither) because I’ve blasted Trump and defended those who vote against him. But folks like you are the very reason we have Trump, and you will own it one way or the other.

For decades, you have let the establishment media pick sides. No reasonably intelligent person can read that GOD AWFUL Times’ story and conclude that the Times hasn’t picked a side. And decisively. You just brush it off like it’s no big deal. I mean, it’s Trump, why not pick a side? But this isn’t the first time. It’s just the worst. And when the establishment media writes a story that bad—and it is precisely that bad—and people like you excuse it, you own the consequences. And they include the fact that people on both sides consume their news from house organs of propaganda.

That then desensitizes them to all the idiotic things they read, hear, and see, because that’s all that plays. 24/7. And you own it, because you’re okay with the ump calling a strike when it’s down the middle or in Eric Gregg territory. As long as it’s against the right team. And yes, Eric Gregg could have called this strike, just as the Times did. But when he goes way outside the lines—as he frequently did—you’ll be bitching about what aboutism while ignoring the fact that you’ve destroyed the game because while people will deal with the Eric Greggs of the world here and there, no one is signing up for that shit 24/7.

Michael Caputo

Scary is shooting cops in the head and the mob cheering and blocking the er. Scary is setting fires all across the state to push a global warming agenda. Scary is defunding police. Scary is tearing down public or private property simply because you don’t like it. Scary is releasing violent criminals with no bail, Scary is burning buildings, blocking interstates, attacking and harrasing old couples quietly eating dinner, scary is disarming the people, scary is allowing people to loot based on their needs, scary is rewriting the history books, scary is the radical professors taking over the universities..... could go on and on

Scary is shooting cops in the head and the mob cheering and blocking the er. Scary is setting fires all across the state to push a global warming agenda. Scary is defunding police. Scary is tearing down public or private property simply because you don’t like it. Scary is releasing violent criminals with no bail, Scary is burning buildings, blocking interstates, attacking and harrasing old couples quietly eating dinner, scary is disarming the people, scary is allowing people to loot based on their needs, scary is rewriting the history books, scary is the radical professors taking over the universities..... could go on and on

Scary is people like you who don't, or maybe can't, address the subject that is being discussed. One could say that Mr. Caputo is trying to instigate trouble and that's scary, but you're ignoring that. Did all the things you mention just arise by themselves or are they a product of this administration including Mr. Caputo. That's besides for the scary part of perhaps trying to alter what the CDC is trying to say.

Scary is people like you who don't, or maybe can't, address the subject that is being discussed. One could say that Mr. Caputo is trying to instigate trouble and that's scary, but you're ignoring that. Did all the things you mention just arise by themselves or are they a product of this administration including Mr. Caputo. That's besides for the scary part of perhaps trying to alter what the CDC is trying to say.
“Product of the administration” is a fancy way of saying “justified violence.” Good grief. That’s exactly what I’m talking about, rather than own the fact that this behavior, regardless of the administration, is absolutely abhorrent and something that has to be controlled and dealt with, you just excuse the conduct as being “provoked.” These are almost all intentional acts of violence. None of them were remotely provoked.

First, there isn’t much more to say about the bewildering things that moron said, so I feel no need to defend him. Nor did I try. But I tire of hearing the “what aboutism“ charge, because it’s really just a deflection and failure to acknowledge the hypocrisy that is so pervasive on the left these days. Your post is the perfect example, even though my primary criticism of you and Celtic is that although intelligent, neither of you ever hold the left accountable. Never. I’ve been trashed here as a liberal socialist (I’m neither) because I’ve blasted Trump and defended those who vote against him. But folks like you are the very reason we have Trump, and you will own it one way or the other.

For decades, you have let the establishment media pick sides. No reasonably intelligent person can read that GOD AWFUL Times’ story and conclude that the Times hasn’t picked a side. And decisively. You just brush it off like it’s no big deal. I mean, it’s Trump, why not pick a side? But this isn’t the first time. It’s just the worst. And when the establishment media writes a story that bad—and it is precisely that bad—and people like you excuse it, you own the consequences. And they include the fact that people on both sides consume their news from house organs of propaganda.

That then desensitizes them to all the idiotic things they read, hear, and see, because that’s all that plays. 24/7. And you own it, because you’re okay with the ump calling a strike when it’s down the middle or in Eric Gregg territory. As long as it’s against the right team. And yes, Eric Gregg could have called this strike, just as the Times did. But when he goes way outside the lines—as he frequently did—you’ll be bitching about what aboutism while ignoring the fact that you’ve destroyed the game because while people will deal with the Eric Greggs of the world here and there, no one is signing up for that shit 24/7.
I know you've seen some of my posts, but you have obviously missed some. I have commented negatively on the Clintons over and over again and I didnt vote for either of them. I have said more than once that it is a sad state of affairs that we currently have two candidates who have absolutely no business being in the Oval Office.

We could have a long and interesting discussion about media bias, which I agree is a problem and exists on both sides. However, that has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

The guy you dismiss as that "moron" is the handpicked person representing the President in his efforts to manipulate the scientific data coming out of the CDC. That makes him a very powerful moron, one who also is telling a large audience, LAST NIGHT, that an armed conflict is coming, that the left is training hit squads and sedition and insurrection are on tap. He is a senior member of the administration in a very sensitive position, one where you could argue accuracy may cost or save lives, and he is setting the stage for a civil war. And most importantly, we have every reason to believe he has the full support of the POTUS because Trump has stated that the only way he could possibly lose is if the Dems steal the election.

You brush off the above or even worse blame me because I don't call out the liberal media? So are you saying the Times is responsible for a President who is systematically weakening the foundations of our government and who is setting the stage for an absolute nightmare after the election regardless of who wins? Do you think the President claiming any possible election loss can only be attributed to fraud is patriotic, or representative of our great republic, or in the best interest of the country? Is biased media really our most pressing issue right now because I think not.

However, that has nothing to do with the topic of the thread.

The guy you dismiss as that "moron" is the handpicked person representing the President in his efforts to manipulate the scientific data coming out of the CDC. That makes him a very powerful moron, one who also is telling a large audience, LAST NIGHT, that an armed conflict is coming, that the left is training hit squads and sedition and insurrection are on tap. He is a senior member of the administration in a very sensitive position, one where you could argue accuracy may cost or save lives, and he is setting the stage for a civil war. And most importantly, we have every reason to believe he has the full support of the POTUS because Trump has stated that the only way he could possibly lose is if the Dems steal the election.

You brush off the above or even worse blame me because I don't call out the liberal media? So are you saying the Times is responsible for a President who is systematically weakening the foundations of our government and who is setting the stage for an absolute nightmare after the election regardless of who wins? Do you think the President claiming any possible election loss can only be attributed to fraud is patriotic, or representative of our great republic, or in the best interest of the country? Is biased media really our most pressing issue right now because I think not.

If you don't mind I'm going to piggyback on your response (I have removed some of it as not relevant to my response).

I posted this thread to deal with Mr. Caputo's statements and actions. That is what I wanted to discuss and saying that you (Tale of Two Dawgs) have no need to defend him isn't the point. The question is what should be the reaction to his statements and actions. Some of the issues are in the 2nd paragraph above and others were delineated by Willdup in another post ITT.

I purposely didn't reference the NYT because of this issue which takes away from the discussion. Great, the Times is biased; not new news. Again, the media is not the subject of this thread. But the content of the article regarding what Mr. Caputo said isn't going to vary. The allegations regarding the CDC were not created by the Times.

I'm not here to question anything else or explain the media. So I don't own the media and while I understand your analogy, I had nothing to do with creating the issue. Do I need to call out the Times? I don't think so. The same applies to any other form of media.

No, the Times is not responsible for what Mr. Caputo said and, as stated above, it's not responsible for the President. However, the President has a responsibility for what Mr. Caputo had said and he certainly has a responsibility for whatever he says himself, regardless of the media's response to it.

Reactions: willdup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT