ADVERTISEMENT

UGA & COVID

It’s not BS it’s hippa law. The professor and the school could be sued

It is not HIPAA that would stop the professor from revealing anything, since they are not a covered entity. Covered HIPAA entities are only those associated with health care. What would apply here for a particular student being named would be the Family Education Rights and Privacy ACT (FERPA). Regardless, sharing positive cases without identifying a specific student would not violate that act.

Last edited:
It is not HIPAA that would stop the professor from revealing anything, since they are not a covered entity. Covered HIPAA entities are only those associated with health care. What would apply here for a particular student being named would be the Family Education Rights and Privacy ACT (FERPA). Regardless, sharing positive cases without identifying a specific student would not violate that act.
When dept of public health called my wife to inform her that she had been around a positive person, she asked who. Lady on phone gave her the name. I thought that was some type of violation.

Reactions: JohnnyBeeDawg
He’s free to quit and apply at Athens Tech.

Why is he wearing Tech gold?

It’s also why I’ve instructed my son that he is under no circumstance to freely provide information about his health other than what is required for admission to those magpies. They’re already screwing him over by barely teaching on line. Even if he tested positive, he’s got no classes on campus and he lives off. He’s not coming home to quarantine and all his roomies have already had it. He’s a legal adult and it’s none of their business.

These academic snowflakes try my patience.

Last edited:
I too remember when we as a society thought that people’s personal health information privacy was worth caring about.
I have had employees literally scream at me and go off the deep end because I would not violate privacy laws. Told me it was morally reprehensible, "deaths would be on my hands", etc.

And that was with them knowing I was following all possible health guidance.

All born from the excessive fear the media and some government officials have pumped into them ceaselessly for six months.

When dept of public health called my wife to inform her that she had been around a positive person, she asked who. Lady on phone gave her the name. I thought that was some type of violation.
By every understanding I have, it is unless the positive person gave permission for it to be shared (which is possible)

Reactions: colquittcodawg
Hope he has a backup job.
Unfortunately, he's safe, and that's one of the problems with our education system. Like term limits in Congress, somehow tenure worked its way into education to protect the employment of idiots who can do whatever they want on our tax dollars. I agree with nothing this man stands for and yet I have to pay for him to do it.

Reactions: JohnnyBeeDawg
It is but whatever. I guess he and everyone else can try to give out names and see what happens. Good luck and get a good lawyer

Is this guy actually teaching our young people?

he was one of the founding members of the Georgia United Campus Workers union in 2018, they have been staging/promoting the die-ins at most of the campuses in the south

It probably is not a violation in the interest of public health due to the need to contact other people who may have been at risk for contracting the disease:

"Persons at risk of contracting or spreading a disease. A covered entity may disclose protected health information to a person who is at risk of contracting or spreading a disease or condition if other law authorizes the covered entity to notify such individuals as necessary to carry out public health interventions or investigations. For example, a covered health care provider may disclose protected health information as needed to notify a person that (s)he has been exposed to a communicable disease if the covered entity is legally authorized to do so to prevent or control the spread of the disease. See 45 CFR 164.512(b)(1)(iv).

Reactions: BigDaddyDawgBreath
It probably is not a violation in the interest of public health due to the need to contact other people who may have been at risk for contracting the disease:

"Persons at risk of contracting or spreading a disease. A covered entity may disclose protected health information to a person who is at risk of contracting or spreading a disease or condition if other law authorizes the covered entity to notify such individuals as necessary to carry out public health interventions or investigations. For example, a covered health care provider may disclose protected health information as needed to notify a person that (s)he has been exposed to a communicable disease if the covered entity is legally authorized to do so to prevent or control the spread of the disease. See 45 CFR 164.512(b)(1)(iv).

Thanks for the quality input

Reactions: Weplay
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT