ADVERTISEMENT

UGA prepares for coronavirus

Not exactly just "some guy", but rather the guy who leads the charge on this kind of stuff:

Lawler said UNMC and Nebraska Medicine are uniquely prepared to provide training in such situations. The Nebraska Medical Center, which houses the Nebraska Biocontainment Unit, was one of four U.S. hospitals to successfully treat Ebola patients during the 2014 West Africa outbreak that killed more than 11,300 people.

The university and its clinical partner also used the Ebola vaccine in 2014. It has shown promise against the disease in previous recent outbreaks.

Since then, UNMC and two other health centers have been tasked with sharing their knowledge and expertise in Ebola and infectious-disease treatment with hospitals and health care workers across the United States.

The University of Nebraska Board of Regents last year established the Global Center for Health Security to build on the university’s expertise in biodefense and infectious diseases.

The National Center for Health Security and Biopreparedness will open in the new Davis Global Center for Advanced Interprofessional Learning in 2019. The new training, simulation and quarantine center will be used to help federal workers train to treat Ebola and other infectious diseases.

Again, why are you struggling with this??

This is not peer reviewed. We have no idea really who this guy is.

You can not present something some guy said at a conference you attended as the truth.

Just a few weeks ago, some scientists in India said for certain that the corona virus was a designed bioweapon.

When their claim was exposed to peer review, it turned out to be bullshit.

A lot of people can say a lot of stuff without peer reviewed and it turn out to be bullshit.

I would urge you not to spreading this info just because you went to that conference. That is not how science works.

Reactions: RoyDawgMercer
John Hopkins Medicine Update:

Similarities: COVID-19 and the Flu

Symptoms

· Both cause fever, cough, body aches, fatigue; sometimes vomiting and diarrhea.

· Can be mild or severe, even fatal in rare cases.

· Can result in pneumonia.

Transmission

· Both can be spread from person to person through droplets in the air from an infected person coughing, sneezing or talking.

· A possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route (see details below under Differences).

· Flu can be spread by an infected person for several days before their symptoms appear, and COVID-19 is believed to be spread in the same manner, but we don’t yet know for sure.

Treatment

· Neither virus is treatable with antibiotics, which only work on bacterial infections.

· Both may be treated by addressing symptoms, such as reducing fever. Severe cases may require hospitalization and support such as mechanical ventilation.

Prevention

Both may be prevented by frequent, thorough hand washing, coughing into the crook of your elbow, staying home when sick and limiting contact with people who are infected.

Differences: COVID-19 and the Flu
Cause
COVID-19: Caused by one virus, the novel 2019 coronavirus, now called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2.

Flu: Caused by any of several different types and strains of influenza viruses.

Transmission
While both the flu and COVID-19 may be transmitted in similar ways (see the Similarities section above), there is also a possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route, meaning that tiny droplets remaining in the air could cause disease in others even after the ill person is no longer near.

Antiviral Medications
COVID-19: Antiviral medications are currently being tested to see if they can address symptoms.

Flu: Antiviral medications can address symptoms and sometimes shorten the duration of the illness.

Vaccine
COVID-19: No vaccine is available at this time, though it is in progress.

Flu: A vaccine is available and effective to prevent some of the most dangerous types or to reduce the severity of the flu.

Infections
COVID-19: Approximately 107,644 cases worldwide; 437 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 8, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths
COVID-19: Approximately 3,653 deaths reported worldwide; 17 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

The COVID-19 situation is changing rapidly. Since this disease is caused by a new virus, people do not have immunity to it, and a vaccine may be many months away. Doctors and scientists are working on estimating the mortality rate of COVID-19, but at present, it is thought to be higher than that of most strains of the flu.

How do you explain SARS originating in China? Or annual effluence? Can't wait to hear your scientific knowledge on either.

Wait, I think I’m agreeing with you. To say Corona has been part of the flu season and we just didn’t know it, implies it started before Wuhan. I was disagreeing with that.

Reactions: RoyDawgMercer
Those types of numbers are more based on speculation than science regardless of the source. As others have stated, a world health crisis should not be politicized, but you can’t put the genie back in the bottle at this point.

Pretty sure they are estimations based upon what's been happening.

My dude you literally said “Guard against the hysteria, which is the real danger here...”.

Your words. You are spreading false information and it’s reckless. Sit this one out. The CDC is saying the disease is a danger, not the “hysteria.”

I did say that and I stand by it...don’t put words in my mouth about hoaxes or politics. And I’ll sit out when I damn well please...I’ll call it a thread on that...

Again, why are you struggling with this??

This is not peer reviewed. We have no idea really who this guy is.

You can not present something some guy said at a conference you attended as the truth.

Just a few weeks ago, some scientists in India said for certain that the corona virus was a designed bioweapon.

When their claim was exposed to peer review, it turned out to be bullshit.

A lot of people can say a lot of stuff without peer reviewed and it turn out to be bullshit.

I would urge you not to spreading this info just because you went to that conference. That is not how science works.

Whats happening in Italy is how bad news estimates look when they turn into reality.

We know exactly who this guy is:

Dr Lawler served as a member of the Homeland Security Council for President George W. Bush and as a member of the National Security Council for President Barack Obama. In recent weeks, he's helped treat US patients with the coronavirus who travelled from China and the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

I did say that and I stand by it...don’t put words in my mouth about hoaxes or politics. And I’ll sit out when I damn well please...I’ll call it a thread on that...
Cool. You’re wrong (and medical experts say so - not me) but carry on spreading misinformation I suppose. I’m sure you’re better informed than the CDC. It’s fun to be irresponsible I suppose.

Exactly right. The media thrives on this, especially as it becomes political. One side making it their job to pin it on Trump, and the other side protecting Trump. Election year politics. This would be such a less panicked vibe in a random year with less of a polarizing figure as prez. Out of 300M people, we’ve got what 400 cases? Take a look at China if you wanna see where this is headed. It has stabilized and is going down. Wish there was a truly objective and universally respected media outlet. It doesn’t exist.
What Te Phuque? "...stabilized and is going down"? Number of cases in China have gone from 30K to over 80K in approx 10 days. That's right on the r-Naught number of 2.5. I think you need to recheck whatever source you used to post this and please share it if you reply.

You do not know that and no one can calculate it.
We will see if those numbers stay accurate as more and more people actually test for it because I would say most of the people that have got it have never been tested which would potentially bring the number way down or vice versa

I would highly recommend reading this thread to understand why Covid-19 is such a threat to our healthcare system. Per the WHO report, 5% of those infected in China required artificial respiration, and another 15% required highly concentrated oxygen. People in this severe category required 3-6 weeks of medical care. If we have a widespread outbreak in the U.S. similar to seasonal flu and those percentages hold in the U.S., or are even remotely close, our health care system will be completely overwhelmed. And that means the odds of getting intensive medical treatment for non-Covid illnesses will be difficult if not impossible.

https://reddit.app.link/1lYvd5RWG4

Bingo. This is exactly the issue!

Yeah, I suppose the one threatening the Supreme Court justices was doctored too!

It was not a Tweet but a speech on the Supreme Court but I’m sure you knew that. Or maybe you didn’t on second thought.

Wait, I think I’m agreeing with you. To say Corona has been part of the flu season and we just didn’t know it, implies it started before Wuhan. I was disagreeing with that.
A spike in flu "like" cases or a cluster + rise in death rates would have triggered all sorts of alarms long, long, ago if Corona had been here for a while. Given a 14 - 24 day incubation period and R-Naught value of 2.5 for Covid-19 it would be dramatically more widespread but this time if that were the case. I'm hopeful warm weather will knock it down and praying for an early Spring!

PS_Here's the scariest part: It is unknown if Covid-19 will mutate into a new and improved annual threat as the flu does. It's also unknown if warm weather will knock it down so the scientists are monitoring the Southern Hemisphere closely to see how it spreads there. AND, if all that wasn't enough, Covid-19 could return next Fall as an even more deadly bug. Happy Sunday!

Exactly right. The media thrives on this, especially as it becomes political. One side making it their job to pin it on Trump, and the other side protecting Trump. Election year politics. This would be such a less panicked vibe in a random year with less of a polarizing figure as prez. Out of 300M people, we’ve got what 400 cases? Take a look at China if you wanna see where this is headed. It has stabilized and is going down. Wish there was a truly objective and universally respected media outlet. It doesn’t exist.
Not exactly. Who knows the info out of China is actually correct, but if it is, it is not necessarily because the virus itself has stabilized, but because they have imposed and enforced Draconian quarantine restrictions of the sort that would be very difficult, if not impossible to implement here. Closing schools and curbing travel are relatively moderate by comparison, but they are hardly unjustified. I will be very happy if students scattered all over the place during spring break doesn’t result in a case at UGA.

We won’t have a vaccine for at least 18 months. Just have to try and limit the spread so we don’t overwhelm the medical system and hope this thing burns itself out.
Some of the math on the point at which the healthcare system is overburdened is scary.

To your point, let’s hope it burns out with the warmer weather.

Reactions: so_comfort1
We won’t have a vaccine for at least 18 months. Just have to try and limit the spread so we don’t overwhelm the medical system and hope this thing burns itself out.
INO pharm is saying by the end of the year. Stock buyers believe them too.

The virus is likely already endemic to the U.S. Meaning in what has been an active flu season since late summer, this Coronavirus has likely been a big part of it...millions of Americans have already had it or are infected with it now...just like the flu every year...they just didn’t know it.

Now that more and more test kits are being used, it is going to appear that Coronavirus is spreading like wildfire. In reality, we have probably already been through the worst of it...however, the hysteria will grow due to the prevalence of more and more positive tests.

In 2018-2019, the flu killed 34,000 people in the U.S. and about 500,000 worldwide.

Imagine the hysteria if it is determined that Coronavirus killed 34,000 Americans (which it very well could). The point is...that doesn’t make it any worse than a normal flu season.

However, during a normal flu season, we aren’t cancelling out our society and buying Costco out of toilet paper.

Guard against the hysteria, which is the real danger here...
No offense, but I think your logic here is super flawed. If influenza kills 34,000, and COVID-19 kills another 34,000, that’s twice as bad. Double the death from two different viruses. There’s no way that’s not terrible.

0-F05-AC4-C-AE4-F-4316-8981-1323-EFF9-F28-A.jpg

It's ashame that this thread has gone the way of politics in some posts.

I just don't understand why we can't trust the experts on this. And hasn't it always been best to err on the side of caution?

We've got a poster on here who is over one of the largest ERs in the state who has said even another flu would put a terrible strain on the health care system and overcrowd hospitals. I'm living in a country where it's happening all around me. It's really odd then to hear people continually talking about this as if it's a bad cold.

If you don't mind me asking...just interested... How long have you been teaching in Korea? Did you use a company to get you started over there?

Me along with every UGA student has most likely been in an airport this weekend for spring break. If it comes to Athens we should know pretty soon.

No offense, but I think your logic here is super flawed. If influenza kills 34,000, and COVID-19 kills another 34,000, that’s twice as bad. Double the death from two different viruses. There’s no way that’s not terrible.

and only 34k is a very low range estimate

Reactions: TivoliDawg
Guys before more of the misinformation people post here, if you’re curious about the disease, this is what the CDC says:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

The CDC literally recommends that people over 60 or with compromised immune systems should stay at home as much as possible and avoid crowds:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html

That’s not “the media”; it’s not “politicians freaking out”. It’s the literal recommendation from the top epidemiologists in the country.

I think that’s really the point to be made. People with compromised immune systems are at the highest risk.

it’s not to be trifled with but it’s not Bubonic Plague. Unless you’re in one of those groups you don’t have to cower in fear. The bigger issue is that those who get a mild case can spread it to the compromised so it’s a good idea to probably get a test on this one where you otherwise might just ride it out.

Of course this is from the guy who thinks flu shots are a waste because he’s never gets the flu.

Don’t know about 18 months, but a year is probably best case. But you’re right, people hoping for a quick vaccine are going to be disappointed.

Me along with every UGA student has most likely been in an airport this weekend for spring break. If it comes to Athens we should know pretty soon.

do you have Corona or a 5 day hangover from spring break. One will likely never know.

Reactions: Neerguy12
Right and that’s why we have actual scientists and doctors. Now isn’t the time for you to put your hunches out there. It’s a time for gathering and reporting actual facts and data. Please be more responsible and respectful unless you are privy to information that is better than the CDC or WHO.
OP is getting his view direct from the president, who also has “hunches” about the disease and ignores facts. No need to listen to the doctors and scientists. It’s all fake news!

Reactions: alw1776 and ugafish

It is terrible. Any deaths are...it is awful that we lose people to flu every year.

Infections
COVID-19: Approximately 107,644 cases worldwide; 437 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 8, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths
COVID-19: Approximately 3,653 deaths reported worldwide; 17 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.

Again, look at the numbers... my point is to look at facts and avoid hysteria.

I do agree with being careful and taking precautions against flu which will also help stop the spread of COVID-19.

It is terrible. Any deaths are...it is awful that we lose people to flu every year.

Infections

Deaths

I do agree with being careful and taking precautions against flu which will also help stop the spread of COVID-19.
I agree with these numbers and agree with your point about not getting hysterical. However, I think it is clear there was a lot about the progression of this disease that we are still unaware of at this time. Some people think it will barely be a memory, I tend to think this will become something serious and dramatically affect the world over the next 24 months. I pray that I am wrong.

Reactions: so_comfort1

Infections

Deaths

10k killed by flu so far this year? That’s a mild season. This has potential to kill 480k. That’s awfully worse than a terrible flu season.

10k killed by flu so far this year? That’s a mild season. This has potential to kill 480k. That’s awfully worse than a terrible flu season.
Again, spewing those types of numbers I irresponsible on your part. Here is why your estimates are too high:

1. We don’t force people who have the flu into mandatory quarantine. We are now, world wide.
2. Anyone who has any illness as routine as seasonal allergies is being asked (forced) to stay home from work or school. Anyone seen sick in public now is treated like a Victorian socialite with a scarlet “A” on her chest.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t take this seriously and the numbers will continue to rise for a while, but the numbers you are throwing out are unlikely.

No. I am saying you are claiming this is some manufactured hoax and that the hysteria is the danger. You’re wrong. The CDC says you’re wrong. The CDC says this is a real threat and that all of us need to take various precautions.

That’s not the media. That’s not the opposition party. That’s the CDC which is run by THIS administration.

What you’re posting is dangerous because someone may mistakenly think you know what you’re talking about and amazingly take your word over the experts.
trying to understand why anyone would follow what some random poster on a message board has to say about this subject

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT