ADVERTISEMENT

Unusual event going on

southpaw dawg

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2001
Sandy Springs
right now. I live across the river (east) from Lockheed. For the past 1:30 there have been aircraft taking off in a steady stream - nonstop. Lived here over 40 years and nothing like this has occurred. In fact, its uncommon for any night flights out of Lockheed. Just wondering is something is happening re N. Korea. Not normally vent stuff, but is a slow night.

right now. I live across the river (east) from Lockheed. For the past 1:30 there have been aircraft taking off in a steady stream - nonstop. Lived here over 40 years and nothing like this has occurred. In fact, its uncommon for any night flights out of Lockheed. Just wondering is something is happening re N. Korea. Not normally vent stuff, but is a slow night.

That would be all we would need. Wow.

Reactions: Togwo

Flight don't go out of Lockheed. They go out of Dobbins AFB. And it's probably just training exercises. Saw several night flights when I worked for Lockheed back in the day.

Reactions: Dabfa2269
Flight don't go out of Lockheed. They go out of Dobbins AFB. And it's probably just training exercises. Saw several night flights when I worked for Lockheed back in the day.
You are right about Dobbins. Another bunch of take offs happened since my previous post. We're talking about a huge number of plans, not just several ones.

Reactions: GATA Hack
What type of aircraft?

Somebody needs to get into Crystal Palace and shut down the W.O.P.R.

tumblr_nr6fptQVIA1s4bl2qo1_r5_400.gif

I would imagine that the North Korea problem will be dealt with using missiles instead of bombers.... or at least with airplanes taken off a little closer to the target.

That is interesting, though... Hopefully it's just a training exercise.

Reactions: ABNDawg
I would imagine that the North Korea problem will be dealt with using missiles instead of bombers.... or at least with airplanes taken off a little closer to the target.

Maybe a dumb comment on my part, but I'm going to say it. I wish N. Korea would be taken of sooner rather than later. N. Korea is that little dude at the end of the bar running his trap egging on the bigger fight at hand. That little guy just needs to be knocked out.

Of course they're not bombing N. Korea from Dobbins. I'm just commenting on the fact a really large number of aircraft have been taking off on a Sunday night. We could be repositioning air assets for some purpose.

Reactions: Dawg44
Maybe a dumb comment on my part, but I'm going to say it. I wish N. Korea would be taken of sooner rather than later. N. Korea is that little dude at the end of the bar running his trap egging on the bigger fight at hand. That little guy just needs to be knocked out.

I don't disagree.... most of their sabre rattling in the past seemed to be geared toward securing aid in exchange for ceasing their offending activity. This one seems a little bit different, though....

Part of what bothers me about it is the malnurishment, fierce loyalty, and what I imagine isn't a great educational system over there. I don't know that the decision makers there are the most rational people on Earth... That crowd being able to launch a nuclear weapon really is scary, in a much different way than the USSR having the capability during the 70s and 80s.

Reactions: daltonlawdawg
Well being that the only active wing at Dobbins is an airlift wing with very, very few attack aircraft taking off from there anymore, I tend to agree that it's a reserve wing doing a training exercise. There are no active attack aircraft wings there and very few attack aircraft at all.

Reactions: shonuff253
Well being that the only active wing at Dobbins is an airlift wing with very, very few attack aircraft taking off from there anymore, I tend to agree that it's a reserve wing doing a training exercise. There are no active attack aircraft wings there and very few attack aircraft at all.

I live smack dab in the middle of the Bulldog MOA so military aircraft is pretty frequently flying over where I live. There usually isn't much activity on Sundays but I noticed there was a good bit of it today.

One point just occurred (just as another group of planes passed over) is that the normal take off pattern is from east to west. These may be incoming aircraft, but it is a large number. They probably aren't doing touch and goes.

Take off and touch down training. Normally C5A transport training.

We will not bomb N. Korea. They would wipe out S. Korea and all of our military there from what I have heard. If we do anything, it won't involve military.

One point just occurred (just as another group of planes passed over) is that the normal take off pattern is from east to west. These may be incoming aircraft, but it is a large number. They probably aren't doing touch and goes.

I have never seen a single craft take off or land from west to east, only from east to west. This is nothing strange. Planes almost always approach from the east and pass just over Hwy 41 before they land. Planes also almost always take off from the east end of the runway near 41.

I'm in Charleston, SC. I had at least two Ospreys flyover my house today and have heard active flights all weekend. Never have seen the Ospreys flying before today...

Hope it is training exercises or routine flights, which is most likely the case. Even so, seeing those Ospreys for the first time struck me as a little odd.

It would be far more trouble than it's worth to execute long-range operational strike sorties out of Lockheed. It's simply not set up for those types of ops (munitions availability alone negates it). You would have to move large amounts of maintenance personnel/equipment/specialized loaders there beforehand. It's simply not worth the trouble. I flex my 'insider status' on this topic to alleviate your curiosity. ;)

Whatever is happening is not NK related. Much more likely to have something to do w/ nearby airshows and/or relating to bad weather somewhere else (i.e. the jets are now returning to their home base after the weather event cleared).

Reactions: mhick007
Somebody needs to get into Crystal Palace and shut down the W.O.P.R.

Haha! Just watched that again yesterday!

I'm in Charleston, SC. I had at least two Ospreys flyover my house today and have heard active flights all weekend. Never have seen the Ospreys flying before today...

Hope it is training exercises or routine flights, which is most likely the case. Even so, seeing those Ospreys for the first time struck me as a little odd.

I've seen a pair of them fly around here a couple times.

If you lived in Missouri near Whitman AFB I would say N Korea.

B-2 Spirits live there and actually fly missions from there around the world

Reactions: Moosefish
Probably the same planes. Pilots, especially Guard guys have to have so many touch and go landings a month or quarter or something, So, a lot of times they will take off, circle around land, take back of and repeat the process. Used to be stationed at Dobbins and it was really annoying, yet cool when the F-22s would do it because if you were close to the flight line you literally couldn't hear the person next to you talking. For something to be stealth they sure are big and loud as hell.

I'm pretty impressed the Vent figured out that we were attacking N Korea from Dobbins AFB before it was even reported by the White House.

Good work folks.

Reactions: studawg170 II
I have never seen a single craft take off or land from west to east, only from east to west. This is nothing strange. Planes almost always approach from the east and pass just over Hwy 41 before they land. Planes also almost always take off from the east end of the runway near 41.
Depends on the wind direction. They operate in both directions. Some sort of summer camp stuff for reserves or N.G.

Depends on the wind direction. They operate in both directions. Some sort of summer camp stuff for reserves or N.G.

Oh I understand that, I'm just saying a vast and I mean vast majority takeoff and land from east to west.

Oh I understand that, I'm just saying a vast and I mean vast majority takeoff and land from east to west.
Anecdotal. Dobbins doesn't operate a large 24hr operation and if they did you'd see MANY more landings/TO's west to east. During warm months the predominant wind direction around the ATL is out of the west-southwest. In winter it shifts a bit to West-Northwest. BUT it still all depends on whatever weather front is passing through as well as time of day. On calm days noise abatement procedures can also have an impact.... usually away from nearby houses. It's a fluid situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT