ADVERTISEMENT

Warm weather vs virus

slobbered

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Jun 27, 2001
Staunton, VA
If you think that warm weather is going to going to have a dramatic effect, it does not look that way. Just got off the phone with friends in Thailand, Vietnam and Philippines where it is summer time weather and the virus is exploding right now in those locales. There are obvious differences in those countries social environment vs USA but heat does not seem to have much effect.

Thailand = 177/69,800,000 suspected cases and 135/69,800,000 hospitilized and 1/69,800,000 deaths.

The idea isn't the virus can't spread in some cases in warm seasons. It is the virus can't live and spread as easily or as long. So, if you are outdoors at a beach in 90 degree 85% humidity weather, the idea is you are safer than you would be in a room with the virus living on door knobs and hard surfaces, etc.

If you think that warm weather is going to going to have a dramatic effect, it does not look that way. Just got off the phone with friends in Thailand, Vietnam and Philippines where it is summer time weather and the virus is exploding right now in those locales. There are obvious differences in those countries social environment vs USA but heat does not seem to have much effect.
virus can survive a temp of 104.1. It’s not going to get that hot here...but warmer weather gets people out of the house which helps vs staying inside and breathing the same air all,the time.

The Sanitation habits & living conditions in those countries is a breading ground for viruses like the Covid-19. .... Being hot isn't going help if you live in a place like that.
Viruses don't breed just because it's dirty. They can 'hang around' longer, though, allowing them a better chance to find a host in which to reproduce. At least, that's my understanding, and that may be what you meant.

Someone please educate me if that's inaccurate.

Sorry, I will take the word of the scientists.

Reactions: FTDawg and Kylo Ren
Viruses don't breed just because it's dirty. They can 'hang around' longer, though, allowing them a better chance to find a host in which to reproduce. At least, that's my understanding, and that may be what you meant.

Someone please educate me if that's inaccurate.

Well, things like access to clean running water & clean bathrooms etc....

Are we saying this study is now false? I thought some highly intelligent people were impressed with the report? Not trying to be combative, just confused like the rest of us.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3551767

You have friends in some exotic places. :)

Respectfully, it would seem impossible to know if it has an effect, because we really don't know what it would look like if it were much cooler there. Would it be the same? Worse? Can't say, really, because every situation is different.

Manila is literally the most densely populated city in the world, so even if the head/humidity was helping, people are more or less crawling over each other on a daily basis.

I'm under no illusion that everything will be fine once late spring comes, but I am hopeful, based on some evidence, that infection will slow.

I'm also extremely curious to see how the U.K.'s current plan works out, but that's a totally separate topic.

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg

Respectfully, it would seem impossible to know if it has an effect, because we really don't know what it would look like if it were much cooler there. Would it be the same? Worse? Can't say, really, because every situation is different.

Manila is literally the most densely populated city in the world, so even if the head/humidity was helping, people are more or less crawling over each other on a daily basis.

I'm under no illusion that everything will be fine once late spring comes, but I am hopeful, based on some evidence, that infection will slow.

I'm also extremely curious to see how the U.K.'s current plan works out, but that's a totally separate topic.

agree on the above and the UK while a different topic is quite interesting.. i have a bunch of coworkers in the UK and Australia I talk to daily and it's so interesting their views of how their countries are handling it.. the uk people are very worried about their plan for herd immunity.. while australia is trying the isolation approach and is shutting almost everything down it's interesting to see how each country tries to deal with the virus..

Slobbered was my room mate at UGA. To say that he travels extensively in Asia would be an understatement. He is just giving you a view from the ground with people he knows.

virus can survive a temp of 104.1. It’s not going to get that hot here...but warmer weather gets people out of the house which helps vs staying inside and breathing the same air all,the time.
We don’t want people out of the house. You seem to be missing something

Slobbered was my room mate at UGA. To say that he travels extensively in Asia would be an understatement. He is just giving you a view from the ground with people he knows.
Oh, I wasn't suggesting that he didn't really have friends there. Was just remarking that he has friends in exotic places as an observation.

A rare instance of me not being sarcastic.

agree on the above and the UK while a different topic is quite interesting.. i have a bunch of coworkers in the UK and Australia I talk to daily and it's so interesting their views of how their countries are handling it.. the uk people are very worried about their plan for herd immunity.. while australia is trying the isolation approach and is shutting almost everything down it's interesting to see how each country tries to deal with the virus..
I hope the UK is proven right...and fast. It's a gamble, and one that their citizens will not soon forgive them for if it's wrong.

Reactions: Kylo Ren
Global Warming may need Godzilla's help on this one.
I am not saying anything other than first hand account from people in those places is that it is spreading quickly there now. It is as hot there now as it will be in the USA in a couple of months. I was hoping that when warm weather hit the USA, it would naturally kill off or dormant the virus over here. I am not an epidemiologist and this did not come from a virology laboratory, just info from local building material factory owners.

Are we saying this study is now false? I thought some highly intelligent people were impressed with the report? Not trying to be combative, just confused like the rest of us.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3551767

Problem with this study is it isn't peer reviewed yet - that is a journal for emerging research. I am not nearly a decent enough statistician to peer review that article, but like I said in the other thread the data looks correct to me and the statistical analysis appears to be done in a proper way with the correct controls.

But, I am not qualified to say that in any official context - just my basic opinion.

Reactions: TanyardDawg520
We don’t want people out of the house. You seem to be missing something
not in public places...but getting outside like the yard, camping, parks ( while keeping distance from others ) out on boats, etc. Stoved up people keep breathing the same sick air. Personally i’m going fishing for trout and redfish

Last edited:
I am not saying anything other than first hand account from people in those places is that it is spreading quickly there now. It is as hot there now as it will be in the USA in a couple of months. I was hoping that when warm weather hit the USA, it would naturally kill off or dormant the virus over here. I am not an epidemiologist and this did not come from a virology laboratory, just info from local building material factory owners.

Thanks. This type of info is what I love about the vent.

agree on the above and the UK while a different topic is quite interesting.. i have a bunch of coworkers in the UK and AustrItalia I talk to daily and it's so interesting their views of how their countries are handling it.. the uk people are very worried about their plan for herd immunity.. while australia is trying the isolation approach and is shutting almost everything down it's interesting to see how each country tries to deal with the virus..

It appears we won't get to find out. U.K. is abandoning their strategy and shutting down as well.

https://www.businessinsider.com/uk-...trategy-that-would-cause-250000-deaths-2020-3

Reactions: Kylo Ren
CDC says they don't know. Epidemiologist and Chancellor at Harvard School of Public Health says warm weather alone will likely not slow its transfer.

Nobody knows.

Wh
I hope the UK is proven right...and fast. It's a gamble, and one that their citizens will not soon forgive them for if it's wrong.
What would the UK be doing differently than us? Not trying to be a smart ass, I really don’t know what their plan of action is to contain the virus.

Wh

What would the UK be doing differently than us? Not trying to be a smart ass, I really don’t know what their plan of action is to contain the virus.
Apparently, their plan is to not contain it.

They want people over 70 (might be lower now) to isolate, along with immunocompromized people.

Everybody else, for the most part, would more or less go business as usual, or at least, no real drastic measures to stop it.

The idea being that a small enough number of this population has serious complications, so healthcare could keep up more or less, and then within a relatively short period of time, the herd immunity would be built up.

At least, those are the cliff's notes as I understand it. Others can weigh in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT