ADVERTISEMENT

Well, the good news is.....

Eastmandawg

Circle of Honor
May 29, 2001
we have a great defense (where was this the last 2 years?). As long as you have that, we “have a chance”.

Bad news is, receivers still can’t separate. Not the scheme or play calling....don’t have the parts to make it work.

But still can beat anyone out there imo.

Last edited:
Gotta BELIEVE!!...defense and "man ball" is gonna get us there.
I believe we are a good team. But, I do not see our offense getting better, and it looks like Cager's shoulder popped out again. Fromm looks like a different QB. Scoring in the 20s likely won't beat LSU, OSU, Clemson, or Bama. We have won 5 games with 20-27 points, and, yes, great defense was a huge part of it. The 4 games we scored more points were against Vandy (30 points), UT, and two vocational schools.

Kirby needs to find an OC with a track record and a plan, let him hire his assistants, and get out of his way. In a hurry. IMO. This O is not championship caliber up to this point. The D is.

I believe we are a good team. But, I do not see our offense getting better, and it looks like Cager's shoulder popped out again. Fromm looks like a different QB. Scoring in the 20s likely won't beat LSU, OSU, Clemson, or Bama. We have won 5 games with 20-27 points, and, yes, great defense was a huge part of it. The 4 games we scored more points were against Vandy (30 points), UT, and two vocational schools.

Kirby needs to find an OC with a track record and a plan, let him hire his assistants, and get out of his way. In a hurry. IMO. This O is not championship caliber up to this point. The D is.

I know you can’t play the game with stats, but it’s interesting to me that LSU’s offense is about 13 points better than the dawgs. The defenses, Georgia is 12 points better....almost a wash.

As the season goes, the more I am convinced it’s the lack of an experienced receivers that is our issue, not the play calling or OC.

The good news to me is, the receivers may be getting better. We certainly are a different team with Cager in there.

To me, the South Carolina game was an anomaly....a perfect storm. Four turnovers, 2 missed field goals, Cager out, Davis out and Campbell (did I miss more?).....pretty sure most any team would have lost that one under the same circumstances.

If there is such a thing as a good loss, this may be one. Just guessing here, but thinks Kirby may have used this as an opportunity to sell it this way.

But I do understand your argument, a lot of people would see it that way also. I also agree with Kirby staying out of the way of the OC, again.....just guessing that he is not giving him the autonomy. If he is not, should he be replaced??

We’ll find out more soon, if you have a championship caliber defense, you always have a chance imo. It will definitely be an interesting matchup with LSU if the teams do indeed meet. I’m guessing that the line will be much closer than some think if things remain the same as they are today.....maybe +3 to +4, LSU.

Last edited:
I know you can’t play the game with stats, but it’s interesting to me that LSU’s offense is about 13 points better than the dawgs. The defenses, Georgia is 12 points better....almost a wash.

As the season goes, the more I am convinced it’s the lack of an experienced receivers that is our issue, not the play calling or OC.

The good news to me is, the receivers may be getting better. We certainly are a different team with Cager in there.

To me, the South Carolina game was an anomaly....a perfect storm. Four turnovers, 2 missed field goals, Cager out, Davis out and Campbell (did I miss more?).....pretty sure most any team would have lost that one under the same circumstances.

If there is such a thing as a good loss, this may be one. Just guessing here, but thinks Kirby may have used this as an opportunity to sell it this way.

But I do understand your argument, a lot of people would see it that way also. I also agree with Kirby staying out of the way of the OC, again.....just guessing that he is not giving him the autonomy. If he is not, should he be replaced??

We’ll find out more soon, if you have a championship caliber offense, you always have a chance imo. It will definitely be an interesting matchup with LSU if the teams do indeed meet. I’m guessing that the line will be much closer than some think if things remain the same as they are today.....maybe +3 to +4, LSU.
Our young and great receivers will never become experienced with 87 and 5 playing. Maybe our coach is stubborn or too cautious, going with experienced blockers versus younger players who might catch the ball. Pickens has 2 TDs and you look up and he's on the sidelines. He and Cager had 11 catches, nobody else more than 1, 87 and 5 had zero. I don't know how many plays each of them got.

I have zero info regarding Cager, but it could be he is out for the home stretch. If his shoulder popped out again, the news could be worse.

Bama and LSU both have stout defenses and they scored over 40 on each other. Mizzou has a decent D, too. We scored twice plus Hot Rod's 4.

I don't think any of us know who has the O chained up, Kirby or Coley. But, I'll bet Fromm could tell you in 30 seconds.

Our young and great receivers will never become experienced with 87 and 5 playing. Maybe our coach is stubborn or too cautious, going with experienced blockers versus younger players who might catch the ball. Pickens has 2 TDs and you look up and he's on the sidelines. He and Cager had 11 catches, nobody else more than 1, 87 and 5 had zero. I don't know how many plays each of them got.

I have zero info regarding Cager, but it could be he is out for the home stretch. If his shoulder popped out again, the news could be worse.

Bama and LSU both have stout defenses and they scored over 40 on each other. Mizzou has a decent D, too. We scored twice plus Hot Rod's 4.

I don't think any of us know who has the O chained up, Kirby or Coley. But, I'll bet Fromm could tell you in 30 seconds.

LOL!!....Fromm probably could.

Different styles (LSU vs UGA). Point is, the PPG versus points allowed against the two virtually offset.

LSU may very well may be better, but we won’t know until they match up...if they do match up.

Old school, I believe defense wins games (good/great offense vs defense).

Good points though.....BTW, I believe I read that Smart said that Cager could have returned if they needed him. I guess Kirby didn’t want to take chances, wanted to save him for upcoming games. Also, I believe Kirby took Pickens out because he tried to one hand a catch a ball instead of using two. The other time may have been when he lined up wrong.

Last edited:
when you call a QB read option over and over again when the QB does not keep the ball is the definition of insanity

Reactions: deadduckdawg
LSU kept their foot on the gas offensively against Bama, while we tend to go into cruise control with a lead. Of course, they had no choice, as suddenly Bama was scoring lights out.

At the risk of what may follow, has our defense been tested by an elite offense this year? It looks solid, but has it been faced anything like what we might see in ATL? Thinking I will hope for the best and not be surprised if it doesn't happen.

LSU kept their foot on the gas offensively against Bama, while we tend to go into cruise control with a lead. Of course, they had no choice, as suddenly Bama was scoring lights out.

At the risk of what may follow, has our defense been tested by an elite offense this year? It looks solid, but has it been faced anything like what we might see in ATL? Thinking I will hope for the best and not be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Good points.....read today that Bama has no victories over ranked teams so far this year. As you know, we have 2 victories over top 15 teams. We got that going for us..

Yeah, yeah - I know.....in all likelihood Bama won’t be in the SECCG, just sayin’.

Good points.....read today that Bama has no victories over ranked teams so far this year. As you know, we have 2 victories over top 15 teams. We got that going for us..

Yeah, yeah - I know.....in all likelihood Bama won’t be in the SECCG, just sayin’.

Eastman you can't count Notre Dame! If they went 4-8 they'd be ranked 7th going into the championship game (they would be allowed to play "Bye Week" during the first round of playoffs, as they get an automatic berth.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT