ADVERTISEMENT

Wes Johnson’s pitching philosophy

LordOfAllGooses

King Goose
Gold Member
Jan 11, 2020
I saw the news today we got a transfer from GA ST with an ERA of 8+. A few months ago I might’ve asked why in the world we would waste a spot on that guy.

I don’t think he’d ever admit this, but it seems to me that Wes values stuff above results.

Throughout the 1st half of the season, I simply could not understand why he continued to trot Kolten Smith & Zach Harris out there. Both of them could clearly throw hard and had pretty nasty off speed but couldn’t locate anything and had ERAs close to 10.00. I thought it was well past time to move on from them.

I thought it was ridiculous that they were out there when we had guys on the team with much better stats who weren’t getting much time.

I’m glad I was wrong. They both clearly have significantly improved their command and are now very effective pitchers.

I think Wes knew that even though trotting those guys out there may not have been the best option at the time, the only way we were gonna make a run this year was if he could develop some of these guys.

Those two aren’t the only examples. Maybe last night was the turning point for Padysak. Hoskins is gonna struggle with control as that is normal for Tommy John recovery but man his fastball looked really good at times yesterday.

I still think pitching will be what eliminates us in the end, but the staff is getting better every weekend. The guy knows what he’s doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News