ADVERTISEMENT

What is the latest a grown man should sleep in?

DirtyDawg69

Back to Back is really Dirty!
Gold Member
Jan 24, 2011
I tried to do a poll but I'm not computer Davy.

I'm old school. I believe that no grown man (over 26) should ever be asleep past 8am. My dad would wake me and my brother up as kids if we were still in bed at 9am. He thought it was ridiculous for people to waste time sleeping all day.

My body wakes up 7 days a week at 6am no matter what with no alarm clock. I couldn't sleep in if I wanted to.

But I must admit I do like a good afternoon nap.

I'm old school. I believe that no grown man (over 26) should ever be asleep past 8am. My dad would wake me and my brother up as kids if we were still in bed at 9am. He thought it was ridiculous for people to waste time sleeping all day.

My body wakes up 7 days a week at 6am no matter what with no alarm clock. I couldn't sleep in if I wanted to.

This

When I was a teenager, I could sleep in with the best of them. I remember once sleeping to something like 2:00 in the afternoon. But, like so many other things in life, age took care of that. It's the rare exception when I can stay in bed until 8:00 a.m. now

When I was a teenager, I could sleep in with the best of them. I remember once sleeping to something like 2:00 in the afternoon. But, like so many other things in life, age took care of that. It's the rare exception when I can stay in bed until 8:00 a.m. now
I can’t go past 7am. Even if I go to bed really late. I have become my dad. Funny how that happens

Depends. How late do you go to bed? For a long time I left for work at 4:45. So my body would never let me sleep past 6. Now, I work from home and don’t wake up as early. But I go to bed later, so it’s a wash. I also haven’t taken a nap in 10+ years because I believe it is wasting useful time. So, I would say just let a man sleep because with all we have to do to provide for and take care of our households we aren’t ever going to get enough anyway.

When I was a kid, my dad would probably have said 8. But as he has gotten older he sleeps in until 9-9:30 regularly.

Depends. How late do you go to bed? For a long time I left for work at 4:45. So my body would never let me sleep past 6. Now, I work from home and don’t wake up as early. But I go to bed later, so it’s a wash. I also haven’t taken a nap in 10+ years because I believe it is wasting useful time. So, I would say just let a man sleep because with all we have to do to provide for and take care of our households we aren’t ever going to get enough anyway.

When I was a kid, my dad would probably have said 8. But as he has gotten older he sleeps in until 9-9:30 regularly.
I understand a nightshift job changes everything.
It doesn't matter my bed time. I'm wide awake at 6am.
My wife and I left Friday at noon to drive to Chicago to pick my son up at school. We got home at 10pm last night. I slept 4 hours during that entire trip. And I was exhausted when I went to bed last night at 12:30.
At 6am this morning I was wide awake. Hell I wish I could still be asleep!

I remember when I was 16 I spent the night a friend's house from high-school. I woke up on Sunday morning at about 8am. I went down stairs and watched TV. Everyone in the entire house slept until 11:30.
I was so freaked out. I thought that was illegal in this country. It really blew my mind as a young man. I started thinking they were dead or something.

If one continues to not get a good nights sleep, he/she is at increased risk of developing dementia in later years.
I was never much of a sleeper. I never slept later than sunrise as a kid. In HS I had to open up the store at 6am on Saturdays and some Sunday’s. My first two years in college, I was working two jobs and going to school and I’m guessing in those two years got more than 5 hours of sleep a handful of times.

Now into my 40s, I still get up at 5am (even today on day one of vacation) everyday but I do try to be in bed around 10pm. I know some of us can and do function on low and less sleep but it’s really not good for both short and long term health.

Ny answer to this question is…wake up whatever time allows you to successfully complete the tasks of the day.

I remember when I was 16 I spent the night a friend's house from high-school. I woke up on Sunday morning at about 8am. I went down stairs and watched TV. Everyone in the entire house slept until 11:30.
I was so freaked out. I thought that was illegal in this country. It really blew my mind as a young man. I started thinking they were dead or something.
My daughter inherited her early birdness from me. She will be spending the night with friends and start texting me around 7am because she is bored waiting for everyone else to wake up.

I had a few friend growing up that did the same. I also had a few friends whose dads would wake us up at 7-8am and either put us to work or go fishing….we chose fishing.

Reactions: trillium
I can’t sleep much past 630a even if I want to. And I try to every now and then.
I certainly don’t care to define what a “grown man” needs to do. What a waste of time.

• Haha
Reactions: MetroDawg21
I was never much of a sleeper. I never slept later than sunrise as a kid. In HS I had to open up the store at 6am on Saturdays and some Sunday’s. My first two years in college, I was working two jobs and going to school and I’m guessing in those two years got more than 5 hours of sleep a handful of times.

Now into my 40s, I still get up at 5am (even today on day one of vacation) everyday but I do try to be in bed around 10pm. I know some of us can and do function on low and less sleep but it’s really not good for both short and long term health.

Ny answer to this question is…wake up whatever time allows you to successfully complete the tasks of the day.
Here is the only good part of it for me. My wife and teenage kids sleep until 10:30 on weekends and vacations (I wake them up after that because it starts pissing me off. I don't know why).
But those first 4 hours alone with my coffee are the best part of the day! It's quiet and awesome!

Last edited:
I wake as the sun rises typically,
or a bit before. Winter months it’ll be dark still. Small children are additional factors to when and why I get up.

Vacation or overnight time, without kids will modify it to a later sleep if I can cut off the natural wake up with the sun.

No naps. Just not a napper.

Go to sleep around 11pm.

Yea…I rarely sleep past 7am and when I do it because I went to bed extremely late(early in the morning).

Reactions: SLC_Dawg
I understand a nightshift job changes everything.
It doesn't matter my bed time. I'm wide awake at 6am.
My wife and I left Friday at noon to drive to Chicago to pick my son up at school. We got home at 10pm last night. I slept 4 hours during that entire trip. And I was exhausted when I went to bed last night at 12:30.
At 6am this morning I was wide awake. Hell I wish I could still be asleep!
I understand. It is even worse when you can’t get your kids to sleep later than normal! Lol

my doctor has described what you said as “social jet lag”. It is what happens to young people who work and have a normal sleep schedule during the week and try to stay up until all hours and “sleep it off” on Saturday and Sunday.

tenor.gif

Here is the only good part of it for me. My wife and teenage kids sleep until 10:30 on weekends and vacations (I wake them up after that because it starts passing me off. I don't know why).
But those first 4 hours alone with my coffee are the best part of the day! It's quiet and awesome!
Once I wake up, usually around 5-6 am, I am up. Like you, I love the quiet hours of the morning before everyone gets up to enjoy my coffee

Here is the only good part of it for me. My wife and teenage kids sleep until 10:30 on weekends and vacations (I wake them up after that because it starts pissing me off. I don't know why).
My wife loves to sleep in. Those Saturday mornings where I can wake up, grab a cup of coffee, and sit on the porch for a while by myself are really nice.

I think we were raised by the same dad. Back when I was young I hated that we had to be up by 8, but now I’m thankful. I believe I’ll parent my kids the same way.

Depends with me due to flip flopping schedules, being on call and working extra jobs all the time. Slept til 10 yesterday knowing I had a late extra job last night. Up now to hang with my daughter so my wife can sleep in today.

On a Sunday after a game it depends on how late the game was, how close it was, did we win and how much celebrating took place after the win. So the answer is anywhere from 5am to 2 pm.

I agree - 8 am is really sleeping in for my 47 yr old bones but that’s the max

I wake up without fail between 6:30-6:45 every morning with or without an alarm clock. Go to bed at 10 or 2 it doesn’t matter.

Depends. You got stuff to do that day? 8:30-9. You handle all your crap during the week, who cares.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT